Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar Blood Test

Lorin Guest

Default Sugar Blood Test

Hi i have to have my sugar blood test done in a couple fo weeks.
    Ive heard the drink that you have to dirnk 1 hr before it, is quite feral. Is this true???

Or is can any one tell me what it taste like, i am one to have really picky taste buds, i cant drink aspro clear because its fawl.

It tastes like really, really, really sweet flat lemonade.
    Or sometimes they give you an orange one which tastes like really, really sweet flat Fanta.
    I don't have a sweet tooth so I really can't stand it.
    Good luck

Lorin Guest

Oh yuck. how much of it do you have to drink?

It's probably about 300mls. I forgot to say too, it's much more palatable when it's cold.

I had a lime flavoured one a few weeks back was cold, to me it tasted like a melted slushy actually it wasn't to bad at all, I expected so much worse

Lorin Guest

Ok Thanks girls Cant wait to get it over and done with

Lorin Guest

Oh and the fact the i wont be able to eat for over an hour in the mean time wiating !!! thats crazy my baby/stomach craves food all day long

Lorin I know what you mean I had to fast from midnight had first b/t at 8:45am drank the drink, then next b/t at 9:45am the last b/t at 10:45am by the time I got home I was so hungry I was feeling dizzy

Lorin Guest

Thats so bad. You know another thing i hate, holding onto pee for ultrasound! So much fluid you gotta hold its hurts way 2 much to hold onto a full bladder and then they go and press on it.
    The nurse said i can eat breaky but nothing sweet! My doctor told me not to eat n e thing with sugars all day the day before.

I have to say I really like the drink, just tasted like lemonade. Didn't make me feel sick either xo

I had my GCT test done today and it wasn't bad at all. I was expecting a terrible tasting drink and all that but it really wasn't. It was just like lemonade and only a small bottle (maybe 250 ml?)... I drank that one hour after eating lunch, then waited an hour at the hospital, then had the blood taken. I'm hoping the test results are okay and I don't have GD.

GAwd...I want the one blood test. I booked by GTT in today and I cannot eat from midnight the night before...I have a bllod test then i have to drink the drink then another 2 blood tests an hour apart.

blah !!

well, my fundal height is as he reckons 2 weeks bigger than my confirmed dates....he didnt say anything to me as to why...could that be a reason?

Hi Girls

Lorin - the GCT - the one that you dont have to fast for which is the one you are having that only lasts for 1hr, the drink is really small, and yes it does taste like flat lemonade, mine was actually green - lime wasnt too bad and I have bad insulin issues.

ChrissyT - mate goodluck with your GTT I had mine done last week, I had to follow an eating plan for 3 days before the test to include white bread, more vegetables that are high GI then fasted in the morning then had the test.. like you will be having,

Bel
    xxx

Could it be an age thing too, being I am 34? I am not really phased....either way it has to be done.

Thanks Kate! I do hope that my test results come back okay.

I've heard that if they come back high (or whatever?) that a second test (GTT?) is required... I hope that doesn't happen but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. A friend of mine had GD and although she was really upset about it initially I think she was grateful in the end as it made her eat better. Got to be some positives to it?!?!

Good luck with your test Chrissy!

Chrissy I had to do the 3 hr one straight up and at 20 weeks to boot, due to my sister having GD with her 3 boys

I had to do the GTT twice (was not a happy camper at all) due to diabetes running in the family, history of big babies etc. The first one came back fine and I did everything in my power to get out of the second one, but no such luck. I actualley didnt find the drink to bad, the worst part for me was feeling sick by the time I had actualley had all my blood tests because I was so hungry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast