Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Gain - to much?

Default Weight Gain - to much?

I'm abit paniky I think. At 20weeks, i have put on 6kg, which in it self doesnt sound bad. But, for the first trim, hardly put on any weight at all, like maybe 1, 1 1/2 kg. I weigh myself every day, and according to my weight this morning, i have put on like 1 1/2 kg in the last week! Prob averaging 1kg a week.
    Is this normal? Some people say you put on most of your weight between 4 & 7months, but, by gosh, if i am putting on weight this quickly, i am scared about how much weight i will have put on by the end.
    Is this just a stage? Will it slow down?
    I dont eat very junkie, so i cant see much of a direct link to that. Of late, we have been eating dinner about 9at night, instead of like 6 or 7 like we normally do, so i wonder if that is part of the reason.....
    Or is this just normal, and i should get over it?

Just normal... Also weighing yourself daily is never recommended...
    My friend just had her 4th baby & put on 31kgs, she is really short & really quite thin, but her body has gained excessive weight with each of her kids & she loses it quite quickly, her body just needs that amount of weight to be able to carry & birth a baby!

Most persons gain about 12kg-15kg (some less & some much more)

But it is all normal, I am almost 17wks & have gained about 3.5kgs!!!

Mum2bee...I know what you mean...

I'm a little worried too...

I'm only 13-14 weeks and I've already gained 3-4 kilos...I'm thinking it is probably mainly due to my eating habits...I've been incredibly hungry and probably haven't made the best choices at times (I have to be really careful what I eat normally)...

I'm trying to get back into swimming (didn't do much exercise in the 1st trimester) and I'm trying not to get upset by the weight gain...I've waited a long time for this pregnancy and now I'm a bit disappointed in my reaction to my weight...

I'm hoping that more exercise and better eating choices will help.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by monnie; February 9th, 2007 at 08:27 PM.

Caro - that makes sense actually. I have a friend, she put on heaps with her first, and it was a girl, and hardly put on any with her second, it was a boy. And my mum always said she showed more with us girls, then with the boys, so, who knows.
    I will get back to you in 20weeks (hopefully) and let you know?\
    Monnie - like you, i have always struggled with my weight as well, and whilst it took me a bit to fall preg, part of me was happy, cause it gave me more time to loose the weight that i wanted to before i got preg. But, my biggest fear of being preg (other then the obvious of poss probs with bub) is putting on to much weight. So, for that, i am paranoid. The first trim, didnt matter how much i ate, i hardly put a thing on. But its catching up with me now.
    I try to drink lots of water, at least 2ltrs a day, plus 2 glasss of milk, and 2 glass of 100% no added sugar oj. Most of my snacks at work are fruit and yoghurt. And lunch is either leftovers, or salad rolls. When i get home, i like to have a snack, as dh is usually still an hour or so away from being home, and that is usually either abit of choc, or a peice of bread with vegemite & peanut butter. Dont eat desert. And always try to have a larger serve of veges in comparrison to other foods on my dinner plate.
    I never eat for 2 - so to speak, cause remember that one of us is only 15cm long, and according to healthy eating books etc, you only need to increase your calarioe intake by about 200cal a day or something, to allow for the baby. Which is not a heck of a lot, and i dont think many peoples stick to it.
    I think my biggest failing was that the trim, had no probs with weight, so it possibly made me abit blar-zay about food. And now, weight has gone bizork, and its abit late to try and pull it into liine.

I'm having a girl and have only put on 10kgs at 32 weeks, so i think that theory might be blown up!!!!
    As for weighing yourself daily, i suggest you dont, its not healthy for your mental state, just leave it to once a week or fortnightly. You are pregnant, you are going to gain weight. If you exercise regularly and eat healthy, like caro said, then you will put on as much weight as you need to and everyone is different.
    At 20 weeks I was about 4kgs heavier and then have gained the rest since. Dont stress too much. Good luck
    Melissa

I dont believe that theory either I gained only 8 or so Kgs with my 1st & about 12 with my second...
    But as I said my girlfriend just had her 4th & it was her 3rd son & she gained 30+kgs!!
    I also shoe very early as i am short & bubs comes out the front instantly....

Your body is gaining what it needs to, I think you are perfectly normal...

mylilangle Guest

I have put on 7kgs (was 49kgs when fell pregant) already but its all seems to be in my belly I am still wearing all my own cloths. My girlfriend was the same weight as me and she put on 25 kgs throughout her pregancy and that was her first and she had a boy. I have found eating healthy and going for regular walk I don't seem to be putting on any weight in the places I don't want to Eg bum and hips.

Your weight gain is 'normal' at about now you should have gained approx. 5.4kgs - 6.6kgs. I read this on a Pg & Baby website. If you have concerns, talk to your Obs. If they are happy with what you have gained, I wouldn't worry.

I not sure if its the total amount that i have gained the bothers me, or its the speed in which i have gained most of that weight in the last 5 weeks or so that concerns me. If i continue at this rate, then i will end up weighing like 115kg by the time bubs comes along. They say that you shoudl put on 0.5kg each week in the 2nd tri, and i am putting on a kg a week. Maybe i just making up for not putting on much in the 1st tri? who knows....gotta try to stop worring about it, but, it just scares me..

I put on about 20-25kg with Mya. But i stuffed my face with junk food the whole pg & did no exercise lol so go figure.
    This time,so far at 38 1/2 weeks i think i have put on about 15kg. Most of this weight has been put on during the end of the 2nd tri & beging of the third tri.
    Like the others said try not to weigh urself all the time. U r going to put on weight, thats just how it is. Eat healthy & exercise & u shouldn't gain anymore than ur supposed to

No matter how hard I tried I put on 25 kilos both pregnancies (1 boy, 1 girl). I think alot of it is in your genetic makeup too, my mum put on the same amount of weight with both her pregnancies too.

As the others said, try not to weigh yourself. If you are concerned speak to your docter, but a kilo a week doesnt sound particularly high - it will slow down hopefully.

Good luck with your pregnancy.

I don't believe that 'girl' theory either. I had a girl last time and only put on 5 kilos in my entire preg (weighed 56 kilos by end) and i'm having another girl and am progressing the same. It just depends on different bodies. I think you sound on track weight wise and will have nothing to worry about. A normal weight expectation JUST for baby and surrounds like amniotic fluid, placenta...is 13-15kilos. Try not to stress about it too much especially if you are eating well anyway

mummy_in_training Guest

Smile Dear mum2bee

HI mumtobee

I am 32 weeks pregnant and I have put on 10.6 kg, my goal is to be in the 12 kg mark but if I put on more I wont stress but my max is 14kg. you are doing well so far wth your weight and eating, as I eat healhty but love desserts and mcdonalds (ever since I fell pregnant) I am having a boy, so I put my love for fries and burgers down to him...

anyway I have excersised throughout my pregnancy at the gym (cardio and weights) and I feel great, but the reason I stress that you do excersise is that I have always excersised but my eating has not always been portioned sized ( I ate 1ltr of icecream plus 250g of choc almost everday 2 years ago and was a terrible binge eater) and was the heaviest I have been, but I should have put alot more weight on but I didnt as I excersised (even though it was only 3x per week), but once I got back into a btter eating habit I was still fit and was able to increase my fitness levels and the weight dropped.
    YOur muscles burn fat and you ability to do cardio is important to burn kilojules ,so if you continue excersise, when you ahve your baby you will be fit enough to increase your excersise and still feel good..watch the biggest looser as i get alot of my excersise tips from that show (this is for when you have had the baby, make sure you arnt sweating or puffing heaps while pregnant, but my body told me when I had to slow down while I have been pregnant, so just listen to it)...
    anyway if you want ill let you know how my pregnancy weight is going and what I am doining oncce I loose it and how it is going. my email is [email protected]

But dont stress you have gained a normal weight so far, so good for you!

Hi, I have put on 9 kgs and am in 20th week. I put on roughly 20kgs with all my kids(1boy,2girls). I guess it depends on weight when u get pregnant, age etc. For me anyway. Due to back problems Im hoping to only reach 13-15kgs by due date. I try and eat well, but I do give in to carvings(LOL). I guesss if youre worried about weight talking to ob/midwife might help.

My BIGGEST fear at the beginning of this pregnancy was weight gain as I was in the process of trying to lose weight when we fell pregnant. I had to mentally prepare myself that I was going to gain weight - that's just part of being pregnant - all I can do is make good diet choices and exercise. It then became much easier. Once I did this, I relaxed during my pregnancy and I have been gaining a normal amount of weight. I will deal with this weight after the baby is born when it is healthy. It sounds like you are sensible with your diet and exercise so I woulnd't stress too much - it is a normal part of pregnancy, and you can deal with it afterwards when it is safe.

I wondered this myself, as I have gained 6 kilos already....But to be honest, I look as though I have gained alot more than that....Everything is going N/E/S/W!!!!!

pint Guest

the gender doesn't determine the weight gain

I have put on 8 kgs at 20 weeks but I use to run and do weights everyday.
    Now, I just walk my dog so my metabolism has gotten low.

My OB said it doesn't hurt the baby, just that it will be difficult to lose it all after.

clare076 Guest

mum2bee, I put on 20kg with Shelby, I was underweight before I fell pregnant with her to put on about 6 kilos in the first trimester. I have already put on 2 kilos with this one but I think that's to do with the morning sickness munchies!

BTW in your post you mentioned you snack on bread with penut butter and vegemite, you don't mean both on the same piece of bread do you? :ms:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast