Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight Loss during pregnancy

Smylie, the CSIRO book The CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet by Dr Peter Clifton & Dr Manny Noakes is all low GI.......very comprehensive and sensible........you can get it at KMART or BigW or have a Google.....there is a lot of online info too.........I wouldn't recommend you follow the "diet" whilst pg, but if you understand the principles, the low GI is perfect for pregnancy.........it is what we follow in this house.........from an energy perspective if nothing else, it makes you feell good.............

Last edited by Lucy; September 14th, 2006 at 09:00 AM.

Hey Smylie,
    Its easy to say dont worry about puitting ont the weight and a healthy baby - but I bet it was damned hard to lose that weight in the first place!
    KNow that just by eating moderately healthily, and maintaining reasonable amounts of exercise you will stay healthy, and make it easiertoshed the kgs afterwards.
    I didn't worry too much about losing weight after bubs #1 as I knew I was going to get pregnant again fairly quickly - and it seemed silly to try and diet when all the hard workwould be wasted! To my surprise this time around I haven't put on the weight that I thought I would have, in fact I've lost some, and then put it on again, so actually even though I have a jolly belly, I'm only 2kg heavier than I was at the start.
    Its my goal now not to get above 90kg (I'm currently about 79kg??) so I have to try and limit my intake of junkfood over the next few months.
    The way I see it - I'll have a punnet of blueberries, and hopefully that will take the craving away from the chocolate bar!

Its so important to look after yourself during this time, and the little one within, and dont worry about what your belly looks like, and whether people notice you are pregnant or not. Its you that gets to feel the kicks and the rolls, and whether they think you are preggers or not is irrelevant. People say the silliest things anyway.

Keep your chin up, stay healthy and worry about losing the weight again after thebubs comes.

Smylie

The low GI diet thing looks good. I have been looking into it today. I find that I am needing to eat every couple of hours over the last few days. I am finally feeling better too now, the nausea has subsided the past 2 days and I can eat again! I have been having brown rice with some tuna and veges, snacks like dried fruit and nuts, and trying to stay away from the peanut butter!

Good luck to you, you sound like you are going great!

Jo
    xx

I found a woolworths diet club site that had a Low GI meal plan on it. I am not going to follow the diet as such but I am going to get meal ideas from it, and snack ideas.
    Baby making it easy as everything makes me feel sick so anything I eat is not going to make a lot of difference.
    The low GI thing is going to work I think as it makes good sense, If I eat food that makes my tummy work longer and makes me less hungry I dont eat as much (ie reducing possible excess weight gain) and when I am not hungry I dont feel AS sick as when i accidently let myself get hungry!

THANKS HEAPS GIRLS!

hay smylie im from brisbane too...... where are you having bub?

I was 52kg and 22 (Years of age) in 2000, when i fell with my DS. And i put on 32kgs with him and i ate pretty healthy back then. he was 9 pounds. Being a hairdresser i really didnt want to put on to much weight as i went from this energetic person to this full on big girl. i was luck i lost it pretty quick. But im 17 weeks pregnant with my 2nd and its 6 yaers later, i am on the low GI diet and it has been great. My OB recomended it to me at my first OB app as i really dont want to put on 32kgs again. this pregnancy i have started at 59/60kg so i would go for the low Gi diet its working for me, one of my clients said to me the other day how good i look and that i really only have a bump out the front and i havnt put much weight on else where so give it a go...........if you want to chat let me know your email address. take care and good luck.

hay fletch,

low GI diets are like fruit, veges, wholegrain products, not white.
    you can actually get books on the low GI diet so have a look out for them. i just watch everything. If we go to maccas i get a salad, or subway. basmati rice is great i make a fried rice with veges with it. you can still have yogurts and milk ect. My Ob just recommended it, sweet pot instead of normal potatoe. and lots of water, my skin is great and i havnt put on much weight this time...so far. have a look around for some books on it. hope this helps.

luv TG

Fletch.......
    the CSIRO book The CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet by Dr Peter Clifton & Dr Manny Noakes is all low GI.......very comprehensive and sensible........you can get it at KMART or BigW or have a Google.....there is a lot of online info too.........I wouldn't recommend you follow the "diet" whilst pg, but if you understand the principles, the low GI is perfect for pregnancy

I have pm'd you.............

Hey Fletch
    GI stands for Gluclomic index (i know that is spelt wrong) and from what i have been able to work out it makes you feel fuller for longer eating good foods therefore you dont find the need to eat as much and there are things you can snack on that also help to
    stop the blood sugars from falling. i followed a link on Gypsie Design site and sent you the link to where i found that meal plan... but as Lucy said there really isn't a recommended "Diet" when pregnant. (she is always right)(thanks Lucy)

So far (this is kinda day three) it has really worked I'm not starving to the point of going to kill someone and i am eating good things during the day, mixed nuts, dried fruits today i had an awesome tuna salad for lunch, friday's ham and salad sandwich (on grainy bread) was nice too and i lasted hours before NEEDING to eat again whereas previously i have been able to think of nothing but food and eating not so great when i did.... i also am loving the lowfat yogurt side of things as it gives me an excuse to go to those great greek yogurt places.

Hi Tommygirl, having the baby at the Private Mater Mothers in Feb. when are you due? (email me [email protected])

mater mother private feb 23rd planned c section........we might bump into each other. i will email you in next few days. hugs TG

Bellgirl Guest

>>Another quick tip: clothes that fit you properly look the best no matter what size you are. I have a belly and my husband always gets excited thinking I've grown when I wear a baggy shirt. Other people make comments too about how far I'm coming along. When I wear a form-fitting top, I get comments like "You're not showing much yet."<<

- I've found the exactly the same thing, and it's the stretchy black tops in smaller sizes that prompt the comments that I'm not showing much. When I started buying maternity clothes I overestimated the size that i thought i'd need, so some of those tops are really baggy and make me look much bigger, and that's when people comment on the large size of my belly. So if I'm going out or expecting to see tactless people- it's the stretchy black!

Bellgirl Guest

BTW I ate a low GI diet before pregnancy- I get tired easily, and it helps to sustain energy for longer. It's the type of food often recommended for type-2 diabetics because it releases energy slowly.

Fletch sweets, that reminds me.......did you get the book?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12