Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, it's official....I'm a WHALE!!!!

Angry Well, it's official....I'm a WHALE!!!!

Well...I am depressed!! Before bubba I weighed 55kg...NOW I'm 70!! What is with that? I realise that bub and everything else weighs alot of that but I have NEVER in my life weighed that much before...I'm pretty tall, 5'10 so everyone says that I don't look like I weigh that much, but when I got on those scales....I lost the plot. Infact I think I weighed a little more than 70...maybe 73/74!! I am really having a hard time dealing with it all. Anyone else like me?

Nina- i know i'm a bit further along than you but i hear you on feeling like a whale, i was 75kgs before i fell pregnant and now im 89kgs (at my 32 week dr appt) and it's all bub and my thighs, i'm only 161cms so i'm short and cant see past my belly anymore i gave up trying weeks ago.

Nina- i was HUGE too. it sucks hey? I put on nearly 30kg's. I ate a very healthy balanced diet, walked when i could but still stacked on the kilos. I put on 6kg's before i even knew i was UTD!
    I lost 15 in the first week after she was born, and have lost another 5, so only have 10 to go!
    Pre-preg i had never had any issues with my weight. So i found it really hard to cope with.

Don't worry it's only temporary, try not to worry about it too much, enjoy your new curves, they won't be around for ever.

Nina..... I haven't been there (yet!) but can I just assure you that you are indeed still a tiny little thing! 55kg? Thats my usual weight and i'm only 5'1!!!!!!!!!!

Awww hun don't stress- you are growing a beautiful gorgeous baby and there is alot going on in there. Im 5'1 was overweight at 65 to being with and nearly died when I hit 80 when I was pg. I lost it all fairly quickly though but given your height, your weight sounds like its spot on track to me. I found I gained the most in the first 2 trimesters, and less in the 3rd and my key tip is- stop weighing yourself.
    Look in the mirror- have a look at that gorgeous growing belly and picture that little beautiful baby getting all the nutrition and padding it needs to grow up strong.

paradise lost Guest

Hun, i'm only an inch taller than you and i was 100kg when i gave birth! I was 95kg BEFORE i fell PG. Your pre-pregnancy weight was extremely light for your height, underweight in terms of BMI (17.2) You're spot on for normal just now - i'm 75kg NOW and not overweight at all. Your body is just getting your baby nice and healthy and taking on a little extra so you can BF and so on. Worry not, much of it comes off very fast and the rest of it DOES come off.

I'm guessing that you are just a naturally very lean body type and it can be so hard seeing everything change so drastically so fast, but the changes are temporary and necessary.

Be proud of your bump and curves, you're a beautiful blooming woman.

Bx

Nina - I'm 5'10" too, and weighed around 70kg when I fell pregnant, I'm up around 95kg now...so welcome to my world!!!

Aww thanks girls...I think I just needed people to tell me that it's going to be ok
    I seriously feel sooooo much better, thanks!

Hoobley- Your spot on about watching everything drasticly change so quickly...that is exactly how I feel. I'm a very body concious person and to go from being so light to the weight I am now, is just scary. Need to just chill out I think.

NO MORE weighing myself!

Nina,
    I was excersising before i fell preg i had lost 7 kgs, i have now put that back on and added some more. I was going so well, But we did plan this pregnancy so i guess i cant really complain. I am shortish (well i think anyways) 155cms and i am up to 70kgs.
    I went from 81kgs with DS2 when preg to 70kgs the day after having him. So dont stress.. It DOES come off!!

Butterfly_Princess Guest

I totally know what ur going through.
    Although last time i checked i hadnt put on that much (this was a while ago tho), i still look in the mirror and just go "Ohh no" and just wanna cry!! I love the preg body, but mines so much more than just preg body, theres all this fatty stuff and my boobs are just soooo huge now.
    I do know that i 'Look nothing but preg" but i dont feel it, i feel a bit like a blimp really.

Nina... I know its a huge shock to the system, but I bet you look absolutely beautiful, healthy and glowing... not like a whale at all!

Because you were very light to begin with, its pretty natural that your body is going to gain extra weight during pg, for both yours and the babies health.

In my first pg (not this one) I started off around 55kg, and was 170cm (so still a fair bit shorter than you) and I managed to put on a grand total of 42+kg by the 9th month... (due to many other factors too). But anyway, you aren't going to gain as much as I did , and where you are now sounds spot on and healthy.

Hi Nina, The whole body image thing is very hard to take. It is hard when you have people commenting on it (like I have, GRRRR) and we are our own worse critics too. You are not a whale. You were light to start with. I am about 166cm, weighed 61.6kg pre pregnancy and am now almost 70. I think our body puts on what it needs, I jsut hate that I store all my weight on my bum and thighs. Just keep eating healthy and exercising if you can. Try not to worry about the number on the scale. Easier said than done. Thankfully my OB doesn't weigh me and hasn't made any comment about my weight, it is just me who notices. I try to focus that it is all worthwhile and will get an amazing bub out of it.

Hang in there. I know I feel crap about my body most of the time now

Nina - Im the same height as you hon....my weight...116kg. I lost 13kg in the early stages of my pg but have slowly put it back on. To be honest...as long as your eating healthy and looking after yourself...your weight will drop back into place (BFing is the best for it)...
    and
    I bet Joel thinks your still as gorgeous, if not more then before you fell pg hon.

Yes Nina, GET OFF THE SCALES!

They're not helpful, don't tell you anything you need to know, if a dr needs your weight, they'll do it themselves. Seriously, put the scales in the garage or under the house. AWAY!

- Hoobley's right, if you're used to being slim, getting larger can be a shock. You can still do things like walk to try and stay toned. I'm considering doing some very light weights because I just am NOT used to tuck shop lady arms...and it's summer so I can't hide them!

- Don't worry about people commenting that you're tiny or whatever. I felt like I was HUGE, and people were saying how small I was - and any comment I made on my own weight got taken the wrong way, like larger people thought I was bragging or something...I'm a very tactful person, but there was no winning when I commented on my size, so I just didn't.

- You're going to have 'fat days' when you feel like the mothership. Tell your dh to be armed with compliments and reassurance on those days, and take the time to dress well, do your hair and makeup or whatever you do to feel good. Makes a big difference!

- You could try being in denial - I'm currently wearing short shorts from Cotton On (that I'm sure dh wouldn't let me out of the house in!) and a funky tshirt. Pretend your skin is as awesome as usual, and that your thighs still look great! I'm planning on getting a bit more sun too, I'm thinking a light tan will hopefully be a bit forgiving on my legs!

- Prepare to succeed with breastfeeding. Not everyone finds this, but many people find that much of the baby weight drops off with breastfeeding. Mine did, I was very glad, and I'm hoping it's the same for this next baby too! Another great reason to breastfeed. Arm yourself with the numbers of support people if you run into trouble.

- Have a mum/sister/best friend who is willing to mind the baby while you sleep. I read somewhere really recently that getting enough sleep can help you lose weight too! And you'll have more energy to go for that walk with bub if you're a bit more fresh. Maybe invest in a hand expresser and store up a bottle during the day, so that your partner can do a night feed/change while you sleep. Eg, go to bed at 9pm, partner do the midnight feed, you're up for the 3am feed - that's about 6 hours unbroken sleep if you can make that kind of thing happen! Even if it's occasionally, it's BRILLIANT! I don't think I did it enough with this bub, definitely will with the next.

Anyway, that's Nelle's 'tips of the day'. The segment where Nelle goes completely off topic, but I hope it's helpful anyway. I'm sure you look beautiful, even on the worst of your mothership days.

Gee Wiz girls!!!!
    All of you get off the scales!!
    I am 5'8" and weighed my self for the first time in two years about a month ago, and couldn't believe it! 83kg!!! Wow! I haven't been that light since I was a teenager, and guess what..... I have NEVER been OVERWEIGHT!!!
    Get with reality girls!
    For the sake of your babies, Stop trying to be skinny!!!

I was 73 kg with my first and i'm 173 cm tall... have had weight probs all my life, went from 93 down to 73 and fell preg on the pill... then during the pregnancy gained 23 kg's could not believe it i was devistated.... My son is now 3 and everyday is a battle to loose weight....i have PCO and docs told me to loose weight in order to concieve #2 well i tryed everything from gym, yoga, diets, starving myself.... got down to 86kg's.... Came down really sick (throwing up for week and half) and went down an extra 3-4 kg's in a week.....i thought yeah keep the vomiting comming.....

Got some tests done after the second week of vomiting morning, noon and night only to find out i was preg 9 weeks...... threw up daily till 13 weeks but still managed to gain weight...... now sitting on 90 kg...... wish i was still 73 but we cant all be skinny..... pregnancy is a beautiful thing and when your told you cant have any and you miraculasly have another one its like a dream come true.... cherish every moment and hope you all have a H & H preg

hey Lisy lee- r u going to join our belly budies may 16-31st 08????????? love to see you there.... I'm due the 19th may....

~Belinda~ Guest

Nina, I am 5'8" and I was 74kgs before falling preggo. I have put on 19kgs so far but almost due. I feel good that I am healthy for my Maddie and not worried about it much at all. I'm pretty much all baby anyway, really out at the front.

Man it's been confronting though putting on that much weight! I just keep going up and up and up, lol!

Enjoy your pregnancy
    Last edited by ~Belinda~; December 15th, 2007 at 01:09 PM.

~Belinda~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mrsr View Post
    Nina - I'm 5'10" too, and weighed around 70kg when I fell pregnant, I'm up around 95kg now...so welcome to my world!!!
    MRSR, you sound like me! But you are a little taller! Pfffftt...we should get rid of a bit when we have our bubbas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast