Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well, it's official....I'm a WHALE!!!!

Ohh girls, I don't think Nina or anyone was saying that pregnancy is the time to lose weight, or try and stay as slim as usual. I truly hope I didn't come across that way - that's not healthy.

I was just identifying with Nina, that when you are used to looking a certain way, changes in your body can be confronting.
    Of course the health of our babies and our own health is paramount!

It's just getting used to a different body - with all it's beauty and flaws. Pregnancy sure is a special time, but there still are moments and days in this emotionally fragile state where the loss of shape bothers me, where I really wish I could buy those awesome shorts except that they won't fit.
    I don't think to myself - ohh I'd better lose some weight. I just think 'I don't feel so beautiful today'. And everyone has those days, right?

And pregnancy isn't about beauty - but the way we look affects our self-identity, and our self-esteem. So it's still worth paying attention to, and if you're having a self-esteem issue because you don't feel at home in your new baby body, and you can do some small things (like dress well and pay attention to your hair) to make yourself feel better, then I think that's a really good thing!

So yeah...I definitely don't advocate weight loss during pregnancy, but I understand that body shape changes can take some getting used to, and if you keep up healthy eating and sensible fitness during pregnancy, then that can be helpful after the birth too.

I also recognise that it is good to gain weight, that a healthy bub is more important than how I look. I recognise that your body does gain what it needs, although if I stopped eating hot chips and other goodies it would be less . When you are used to looking a certain way or you have lost and maintained weight the changes when pregnant take some getting used to. Although others may see you as beautiful and glowing it is hard to feel that way sometimes. I know I have found it slightly easier now I am 'looking pregnant' and feeling bub move. That is what is making it worthwhile, feeling, bub and it is getting closer to meeting him/her and makes it easier to accept the veins on my legs, constant trips to the loo and the constipation, among countless other things. I have days where I feel crap, I have always been sensitive about my body, particularly my bum. Being told you have a big bum from age 10 will do that to you. I was so proud just the other week that my belly was getting bigger and mentioned it to my FIL, he stated that 'it looks like your bum has popped too'. he didn't mean harm by it, was just commenting (why he had to I don't know) and I shrugged it off at the time but was in floods of tears in the car. Just by being pregnant we are more sensitive and any existing issues when commented on can have devastating effects. While we shouldn't weigh ourselves and get hung up on numbers and sizes it is hard to change the habits of a lifetime. I keep asking myself who it really affects what size I am, how much weight I gain, as my hubby loves me no matter what, and this weight gain is for OUR baby. I shouldn't let the opinions of others affect me but that is more a personality thing and it is hard to change the habits of a lifetime.

Sorry if I offended anyone. It's just an issue that really upsets me.

Jess 84 I tried to join Bellybuddies but was basicaly told I wasn't welcome. I just asked a question, and was told it wasn't the appropriate place, even though everyone else was doing the same. So I took the hint and haven't been back on!

I wasn't offended Lisylee, unfortunately it isn't always easy to change the habits of a lifetime and when you have so many changes going on it can be a little overwhelming.

That's no good about your belly buddies, maybe try again?

lisy lee- havent seen you there maybe you joined before i did.....wish i knew who made you feel uncomfortable everyone in our group is really welcoming (i have found anyways) sorry bout your bad experience but please come and try again... i'll make you welcome thats for sure....

i figure your bound to gain weight during pregnancy so why worry...as long as your eating healthy then thats all you can do.... i try to get out and excercise but with another child and the lack of energy and motivation lately its difficult.... be happy and enjoy the preg i say....

Well...I would just like to clarify something!!! I am NOT going to be losing weight during my pregnancy nor was EVER entertaining the thought. I was just looking for some support.
    Thanks Nelle for the very helpful tips. I dyed my hair the other day and it seriously made me feel sooo much better. I know that I am not FAT, like Nelle said, to notice that thing are changing so rapidly was just a shock and I wasn't expecting it, that is all. Thanks to all the girs that identify with me and dnot think that I am some self ritous, selfish person just worried about my looks, cause that is not what I am like after all!

Once again Rusty, I appologise for my coments.
    I have been so tired and moody lately. I was way out of line.

It's just that I have family members who genuinly do have REAL weight problems, and I know what they go thru. So when I see what I interpret as some one with no weight problem at all, complaining about their weight, it makes my blood boil.

Again. Appologies. I shouldn't have been so quick and nasty.

i read the thinner u r the more weight u will put on. i am 168cm and i was 80kg b4 preg so over weight to start off with. i am up to 86kg at the mo. i hope i dont get near 100. but just think after bubs is born u will loose most of it anyways.

Accepted LisyLee.

Pregnancy can be a bit like that...make you moody and grumpy. All it take is one little thing to set you off.

I sympathise with your family members that have genuine weight struggles as my mum has struggled to loose weight all my life. I know what hard, stressful, upsetting times they can be.

That makes sense sassy....putting on extra weight that you didn't have before the bub...that makes me feel better too.
    Anyway, I had better go. Going looking for car seats with MIL today. Hope you all have a great day!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12