Thread: Worried about no movements....

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Default Worried about no movements....

Hi everyone, well I am 18 weeks pregnant tomorrow and after feeling the baby move, although not regularly, I have now not had a distinctive movement for at least a week.

I Know it is still very early on, but I am concerned after feeling it move so much earlier on.

My next scan and appointment is not until the 12th ( next monday) or do you think I should talk to my Ob and have a scan before this?

Relle, if you are worried, yes, get into see your OB......for your own peace of mind.

Has your OB indicated as to whether you have an anterior or posterior placenta? With Charlie, my placenta was anterior and I was always worried about the lack of movement I felt with him.....but the placenta was acting like a cushion to the kicks/movements.

My OB at the time told me to take a huge cold glass of OJ, lie down & relax, and then see what you can feel.......easier said than done with your littlies, I know, but most likely that may be part of the issue too: that you don't have time to "concentrate" on feeling the movements cos you are so busy with Campbell and Cooper?

Let us know how you go..........

Thanks Lucy, I will give that a go! Campbell is out with DH and Cooper is pottering around, so may be a chance!

How long did you leave it Lucy, I just gave it a go and still nothing.....

30 mins......I had to really concentrate, and force myself to relax.

Relle, if you are concerned, call your OB at the least........the worrying does you no good at all. They may be able to give you some other hints too, on how to pick up on the movements?

Thanks Lucy and Emma, Ihave just spent the whole day looking for any kind of movement, and so far nothing.

I am sure everything is fine, but I can't help but be concerned.

Relle I agree with the others. I'm 20 weeks and even though I dont feel regular movements, when I do its when I'm completely relaxed and things are fairly quiet. I find that I really have to concentrate to feel anything.

If your really worried call your OB or drop into your local hospital - they should be able to let you hear bubs heartbeat to put your mind at ease.

All the best!

Relle, I have an anterior placenta with this bub, and although I started feeling movement at 14 weeks, it has been very irregular up until the last week or so. I find that when i am TRULY relaxed bub seems to know, cos he/she immediately starts kicking up a storm! But if I'm just 'trying' to slow down to feel movement, it doesn't always happen IYKWIM?

All the same, I would definitely call Dennis (just another chance to see him hey?!) and see what he thinks about you having your u/s earlier. It's worth it for your peace of mind

Hey Relle,
    I'm sure everything is o.k., but I know it's definately hard not to worry, I worry too when I don't feel movements for awhile (as you are aware). I have only just started feeling movement again after nothing for about 7days, so hang in there, but if you are really worried, I'd see your doc just to reassure yourself so you don't have to worry. Try not to worry, I'm sure your little bubba is growing nicely in there.

I just tried to bring my ultrasound earlier, but no luck, so I have called and left a message for Dennis, I still have not felt anything after keeping an eye on it especially all day yesterday and this morning, still nothing.

So I will see what Dennis has to say when I speak to him.

Could you just see your local GP to get him/her to use the doppler to pick up the heart beat, or maybe they could organise an U/S for you.
    Either way Relle, I hope either bubs starts kicking the crap out of you or something becomes available to reassure you. Let me know how you get on.

Hi girls, My ob has called me back and as always has put me at ease! He said that most people don't feel it till now ( me in the last two) and that those that do feel it around the 14 week mark do go through a stage of not feeling it at all. I know all of you loveley ladies have said that to me, but I must admit that having him confirm that, when he deals with this stuff day in and day out is reassuring.

I said to him that 3rd time round it should be getting easier/less stressful but it is getting worse and he agreed!

By the way, just after speaking with him I was giving DS 2 his bottle and he was sitting on me and I felt the baby move, obviously telling it's big brother to get off!

Oh PHEW!!!! That is great news Relle..........I am so glad.......I can hear you "smiling" in yor post with relief!

Relle, I just saw an OB as I have to see one once going thru the FBC. She listened with the doppler & bsaid wow it's strong one I can hear it clanging & bashing about in there I mentioned I had felt the odd kick here & there & played poke the baby & feel the kick a few times & then nothing for days!
    She said alot of ppl dont feel a baby moving til closer to 20wks & even then it depends on placenta & stuff!
    I know I didnt feel Maddy moving til after 25wks coz I recall ppl saying our 25wk you must be feeling it now & nope no matter how hard I tried I felt nothing...
    I also was scared as i hadnt felt anything for a bit, but there was a string HB so all is well & I noticed after DTD all my muscles are tighter & tenser & I can feel the real hard outline of my baby bump...

YAY that your OB put your mind at ease!

Thanks girls, as always you put a smile on my face! It is so nice to be able to come in here and voice your concerns without being belittled by other people.

For those that know what has gone on with me over the last couple of months, my DH actually turned around and said to me last night that he knows I wished something would happen to the baby, but.........

My heart sank, as if I wasn't feeling guilty enough about everything, that comment just shattered me. I guess that is the other reason I was so stressed.

Relle, that is great news about the bubba but not as such about the comment your DH gave. Men can be so stupid and selfish at times, I hope you feel better now that bubs is kicking again. I'm so glad you got the reassurance you needed, yey for you

What's that comment from your DH about? I don't quite get it....

The comment was not actually meant in a nasty way. Feathertop, this pregnancy was not actually planned right now and I had applied for uni etc and the thought of 3 littlies 3 and under had me very concerned and struggling with this pregnancy for a time and I did not actually wish anything bad would happen to the baby, but I know what he meant, it was his way of trying to understand, but in a very insensitive manner.