Thread: are you allowed to sleep on your stomach???

Default are you allowed to sleep on your stomach???

I can still easily lie on my stomach and find that this is the most comfortable position - i am wondering though how much i might be hurting my baby. Can anyone tell me if it is ok to lie on your stomach :-k

Thanks

Jacci

Jacci I donno, you could try posting this in the members section where the mid wives and that answer your posts. I can't believe you find it comfortable if I even lay to far over sorta on my side it hurts.

mizzsocial Guest

I personally wouldnt sleep on my stomach, even if i did find it comfortable..

I havent been able to sleep on my belly since early 1st trimester!!

I guess everyone is different

I think I read somewhere that it's comfortable to use pillows etc when sleeping because it can help to keep your own weight off the baby? So I'm not sure how sleeping on your stomach would be in terms of weight on the baby. But I'd say it'll soon be too uncomfortable anyway, and I think our body is pretty good at telling us what not to do. I know lying on my back now is just plain uncomfortable, which is a good thing, coz we're not sposed to do that.

I wouldn't worry too much.. we're probably not aware of half the positions we get into when we're asleep

If I roll onto my stomach during the night, I get kicked until I wake up and move back on to my side. The baby obviously doesnt like it, so must be squashy when you are on your tummy.

i was wondering this too.. i have always slept on my stomach and even now its the most comfortable. i usually put a pillow half underneath me so i'm half on my tummy half on my side. i thought i read somewhere that it is ok because the baby is well protected but if anyone knows for sure it would be great. don't know how i'll get comfie to sleep if i can't though lol its hard enough as it is.

I don't know, but I have read you're not supposed to sleep on your back. Something to do with putting pressure on your veins or something. So if you can't sleep on your stomach either it doesn't leave many options

Just found this on a baby health website -

The best position for increased blood flow to the baby is laying on your left side. However, you needn't be upset if you awaken during the night and you are laying flat on your back. At five months there is little concern because your baby and uterus are not very heavy. You certainly may sleep on your stomach if you are comfortable, or in a semi-seated position. Your most comfortable position will change throughout pregnancy, so be prepared to experiment using many pillows to help you find just the right position.

Jacci - I think you`ll find that if your little one wasn`t comfortable with you lying on your stomach he/she will let you know so you`d have no choice but to move into another position.

As for sleeping on your back you`ll find later in pregnancy you can`t, well I couldn`t as it made breathing extremely difficult.

Hi Jacci

yes you can sleep on your stomach or in any other position that you find comfortable apart from your back. There are some large blood vescles that can be blocked by the weight of your baby. If this happens it can reduce or even cut off the blood supply to your baby.

Fee Guest

Yeah I think the sleeping on your tummy thing is just a comfort issue - there is no danger.

I was at my Pilates class yesterday and asked the teacher when I have to stop doing exercises on my tummy. She just said to stop whenever it gets uncomfortable. So I assume the same goes for sleeping!

Its so hard to sleep!!

I know your ment to sleep on your side, but now that my pubic pain is getting worse its hard to stay up on my side, i find i roll forward onto my tummy a bit- then bubby starts kicking and i move back. The last week ive woken up to find that im sleeping on my back! Its the most comfortable position for me but ofcourse its not ok to do this..... so basically i spend the night tossing and turning (very slowly might i add due to my huge belly and so soo sore pubic bone) and i dont really get that much sleep at all.

Emz - I find it hard to sleep on my side too - i seem to get sore hips...
    then i wake up and find i'm on my back - my Dr said not to worry and that i should just roll back onto my side, he said my body would wake itself up before it cut the blood flow off.

I am finding it hard to sleep coz my legs feel like they want to keep moving!

Really?

I get this feeling in my ankles and it drives me crazy and i have to keep them moving till i go to sleep!

My hips also get sore and numb from sleeping on my side... hence all the rolling over.

I woke up the other night, on my back with my leg going numb!!! :shock:
    So i spose its true, that the body will wake you up before anything happens.

DoubleK Guest

i tend to sleep on my front, but i put my weight to either side of my body and bend my knee for support. its comfortable for me, but i always worry i may be squishing the baby!

i also find if i try to lay on my back, she moves around a lot more, which, while im trying to get to sleep is rather annoying, so i tend not to lay that way!