Thread: Anyone having a c-section?

Default Anyone having a c-section?

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone is having a c-section and if so what anesthesia will you be using?? Spinal/Epi/General?

I've had a previous c-section but it was a general anesthetic and ofcourse I was asleep. If you've had a section before what's it like in the OR?? Do you feel REALLLLLLLY nervous?? Do you hear/smell everything??

I'm just wondering if I'd be able to handle being awake in the OR...

thanks

Hey
    i am having my 2nd C-Section on 6th feb i have the Epi and yer you do hear some sounds like a sucking sound the docs talking things like that, but no you dont smell anything and you cant see anything as there is a screen up and you have your hubby siting next to you
    All the best

Take care
    Eve

Ive not had a c-section before, but id be TO Damn scared to have one!

I think id like the general option. What i dont know, wont hurt me! BUt then id miss the 'birth' of my baby.

Goodluck in what you choose.....you will be fine

I had an epi. It was 3.5 years ago now and I was quite out of it from a long labourThere were quite a few people in the theatre (like any op). That is the main thing the midwife told me on the way up to theatre not to worry because there will be a fair few people in the room but it doesn't mean anything is wrong.

I remember the nurses counting all the surgical instruments. Funny thing to remember but I can still remember that part like it was yesterday. The ob explained what he was doing at each stage but if you prefer not to know as some people don't let him know.

I don't recall any pain at all during the c-section. But my husband said I must of felt it when they pulled bub out because I squeezed his hand really hard.

When they held bub up for the first time to see. He was screaming and couldn't open his eyes because the lights were sooo bright. I remember thinking turn those lights off. Other than that I think it is special being awake. It looks like I am having another c-section in April and I will opt either epi or spinal.

All the best !!!

Hi Rach,
    I had to have an emergency c section after having the epidural to look towards a vaginale birth... But the little man got stuck at 8.5cm for 3 hours and they had to get him out.

The recovery time was pretty full on. I said a few times I donít know how someone would want to choose a c section... I couldnít pick up my baby for the first 24 hours.
    I considered the option of c section too but then thought bugger it I will give this a go, so when they told me I had to have one it was not a huge shock to the system.
    At the beginning of the op I said a line from Monty python "all those little machines that go BING!" and the docs joined in and we said a few lines from 'Meaning of Life'
    That relaxed me
    They told me when they were making the incision, ensuring that I couldnít feel anything, then all I could feel was tugging and pressure from where they were moving everything around.
    The only time that I felt anything weird was when they said "we are going to pull him out now and you will feel pressure in your chest" As they took his head off the cervix (where it was stuck) they pushed his little legs up into my chest area where I felt a really weird pressure... it took my breath away a bit and then the next thing I know I can hear my little man screaming his new little lungs out
    WHAT A MOMENT THAT WAS! Hehehe

So all in all the OP was fine but the recovery time was when I felt the pain and just felt a bit helpless, my MIL came for a couple of weeks after as you cant really do major house work like the washing, vacuuming. No lifting at all really.

So thatís my story any way good luck with your decision and what ever you choose to do ... my motto I suppose is, bugger it, Iíll give it a go

Hi - I had an elective for my second after an emergency one the first time round. I had spinal blocks both times.

With the second, the day after was the worst. I held and breast fed Alex fine on the day he was born, I think you still have the rush of all the good hormones or good pain drugs ! Also, with the second one I met the midwives and anethitist (bad spel) before I went down so it was a lot more relaxed and chatty and I made sure they met and spoke to my partner as well when they said what was going to happen. With the emergency CS the first time, it was all a rush, Nick had no idea what was going on and I was a wee bit out of it.

I was super nervous and laughed and cracked jokes from the moment they started to wheel me down to theatre. I spun out both times about the number of people in the room. Once they lift your baby up, nothing else matters.

Good Luck,

Hi Rachel, I had a cs for DS, with a spinal tap...Everything went well. I couldnt smell anything! It was all pretty quick really. The only thing i noticed was hot flushes, and some shaking during the op, which aparently is quite normal. I think I will go spinal again next time.
    Good luck with your final decision.

Hey Rachel, don't be nervous hon. Part of how you feel is controlled by your outlook on the whole situation.
    Easy to say I know but I have two experiences of it.
    My first lots of experience was as a theatre nurse doing the ceasars. There is noise, machines beeping, the sucker noise, you can hear a liquidy noise when the placenta is opened, instruments clinking, people talking (and not often to you) and bright lights overhead. It's a bit cool, but the spinal usually gives hot flushes anyway. There will be the BP cuff on your arm and a screen over your belly so you can't see. There will be an oxygen saturation monitor on your finger and one of your arms will probably be supported on a board or over your chest so that the IV line they need stays patent. The aneasthetist will sit near your head, as will DH (ask for a stool for him if they don't provide one as it's a long way to fall if they faint LOL). There are three nurses (one scrubbed and sterile, a scout nurse and an anaesthetic nurse). There will be the OB and his/her registrar. Then of course there's the paed and the midwife. The Op itself is pretty quick. THey will ask you if you can feel anything and then they start. I can describe it in detail if you want.
    The longest part is the closure of the layers.

I also had a csec after a 4 day labour. It was weird being on the other side. I could feel something when they asked so I told them. The anaesthetist said I couldn't be but my Ob told him I knew what I was talking about and to top it up. You can feel pressure as often they rip to placent rather than cut it as it heals better. Then the registrar presses rather hard (I have a really short midsection - I thought he was going to break my ribs! LOL) on the top of your belly to pop the bub out. Then theres the crying of the baby and it's over....

I was fit and healthy prior to labour/birth and I had no problems recovering or looking after bub. I had no pain relief other than panadol and only when the nurses insisted.

I really hope it goes well for you. Hope that was a bit of insite.....not just rubbish

I had a spinal, which i reacted something in it (just couldnt stop itching) but it was nice to see my daughter born (she was 10w prem) and i need to be awake to hear her cry. The only other prob i has was the shivers, but they take care of that in recovery.

Good luck

Thanks everyone!!

I guess it depends on the person. for me, i had the spinal and every part of the process was very scary and freaky and i never want to do it again. Im a nervous person when it comes to needles so having an op while awake was a silly move! Having said that, i was calm and obviously got thru it...

I got the itchys and the shivers and almost passed out for one reason or another. I could feel everything they did, every touch, just no pain IYKWIM...I wasnt too pleased with the drs talking like i wasnt there... i felt something give when they were sewing me up and he said "oh thats not good, have to start again" It WAS great to see my baby born and to hear her first cry, so i will choose to be awake if i have to have another one (fingers crossed i dont!)

everyones experience will be different... good luck

I was awake for myn and found it totally relaxing cause there was no pain and I couldn't see what they were doing anyways. They talked to me and DH kept me all calm, and I just was busting to see our little baby. It was the after affects of a c-section that I would be put off by. I am choosing a vbac this time, I never want to experience what that pain is like after the next day.

Hi Rachel

I had a c-section last week. Chloe arrived 3 weeks early and in breech position and as I was in labour, waters broken and contractions every 5 mins we had no choice! It was not as scary as it could have been, because I had researched it and knew that while she was breech there was always a chance I would have to have one. I think if you are prepared and know about what will happen it's not as scary. I also had a lot of confidence in my doctors and midwives which helped.

The part of a c-section that had always terrified me was something being put into my spine. In saying that, it wasn't that bad - just a little sting and then I couldn't feel anything after a couple of minutes. I didn't feel the cutting, and the only reason I knew they'd started was the nurse came to tell me what was going on. I felt tugging when they pulled Chloe out and heard her cry. DH was with me the whole time (he couldn't see anything either), and they gave her straight to him after she was cleaned up and then I got a cuddle as well.

This was definitely not my preference - my whole pregnancy I've wanted a vaginal birth, but things didn't work out that way. I still have a beautiful baby girl who is healthy, so it really doesn't matter how she got here.

My recovery was pretty quick - I was up and around the next day and was holding Chloe. The second day I took a shower by myself and was walking around the ward. The third day I was walking downstairs to the hot chocolate machine. Next time I'm hoping for a vaginal birth because I would like to experience that, but I definitely wouldn't get yourself worried over the possibility of a c-section. Just make sure you know what to expect.

I had my 3rd c-section last week and was given a spinal.
    I found it very painful as the spinal block went to high up and they thought they was going to have to give me a GA in the end. I found it very hard to breath and it felt like someone was standing on my chest.
    The spinal block doesn't always go to high up.

Thanks so very much for this thread. For me having a C/S this time is less terrifying than the prospect of V/B again (it was baaaaaad). It helps to hear that there is a range of experiences and that everyone copes differently. Thank you all for sharing.

i had a c section 3 years ago. i had epidural and found that because i had my DH with me it wasnt as overwhelming as i thought. quite exciting actually! you feel yourself being pulled around a bit , but no uncomfortable smells or sounds and my gorgeous boy arrived so quickly. Good Luck!