thread: Babies Room

Oct 2008

Babies Room

Just curious as to when people have set up the babies room?

May 2007
    Home

The sooner the better i say!
    It puts everything into perspective - OMG I"M HAVING A BABY! hehehe

A friend of mine finished up work at 37 weeks, and was going to set up bubs room then. She finished on the friday, on monday bub was born! Eeek! She didn't have the lino in, the cot put up, no curtains - nothing!! hahaha. When her waters broke she freaked out. The baby is now 9 weeks old and the room still looks like shambles (definately don't have time for that stuff once bub is born).

With dd we didn't move into our home until i was 36 weeks, so i didn't really have a choice.

Totally up to you tho

Add NaeNae on Facebook

Sep 2007
    South Gippsland

hmmm I set mine up when I finished renovating it last Oct/November mind you it has been rearranged several times since then and no doubt will be rearranged several more times before this little beanie is due.

Nae x

I think you should just do it when you want too

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

mine has been "mostly" set up for about 4 weeks now - i figured 30 weeks was a good time to start (mainly cos i was able to keep DH home for a few days to paint and things!)

there is still stuff i have to do to finish, but it's getting there slowly. i know what has to be done, but i have to rely on other people to do it which is driving me insane!

May 2008
    camden, NSW

I did my bubs room early on, (I had extreme back problems on and off and wanted it all done in case it got so bad that i couldnt do anything) i painted it at 17 weeks, set the cot up at 19 weeks and bit by bit washed all the clothes and blankets (they were all in storage from DD1). Everything was pretty much done by 25 weeks which was good and bad because i could barely walk but i also got bored of having nothing more to do for bubby.

Dec 2008
    Melbourne

I put the cot and change table up at about 24 weeks. 2 weeks ago we took the bassinett out of the box and I will open the rocker in another 2-3 weeks to allow it time to air before baby arrives.

Nov 2006

DD's room got put together between the shower at 30wks and her arrival at 35wks. I think the only thing i hadn't done was wall decorations, but i had painted it a while before that while i was painting the rest of the house.

This time i have washed a few things, haven't found them a home as yet, 1/2 unpacked the bassinet and that's it. The 'baby's' room has lots of junk in it, the fan is broken atm and i haven't got round to swapping dd's clothes out of the cupboard.

i am relying on dh to move some furniture before i can get into the cupboard in dd's room now etc and have been waiting for several weeks.

I don't see it getting done anytime soon so i think this baby will be rouging it in our room for a while.

Aug 2006

I've never had a baby's room ready before about 36 weeks. I tend to go over though so we've always had plenty of time.

This time DH and I were both adamant it would be done earlier, all nice and organised but I can't see it happening! The room has been cleared out and painted, the old dodgy built in removed and I am waiting for the new wardrobe to be installed. We went out on the weekend and brought a shelving/change table unit and another little wall shelf but still don't have a cot....or a bassinette for that matter! I sold our old one because we didn't think we'd be having any more children.

Let alone unpacking baby clothes, blankets etc and washing them all...man, I'm tired just thinking about it!

I still have some little things to buy, like cot sheets (our DS will be staying in his cot/toddler bed so I need a few more sets), mattress protector (actually, a mattress might be handy first ) We will get the finishing touches/'themed' items after bub is born and we know the gender.

Yeah.....I don't see it happening any time soon! LOL.

Jul 2007
    melb

We laybyed all furniture at 20 weeks and DH wouldnt let me get it delivered till 36 weeks as he thought something would go wrong if we did.

Was set up at 36 weeks when delivered.

Car seat actually got put in 2 days after baby born as when i was going to get it put in early DH made me cancel for same reason as above!

good luck

Aug 2006

Feeb - I must admit I'm a bit like your DH....which is probably why I never get them done early, even though it's not a conscious decision.

BellyBelly Member

May 2005
    Brisbane

Last pregnancy I was a week overdue, on a step ladder hanging curtains in his room when the contractions started. We had only installed the aircon in his room the day before and the whole room needed to be cleared out and then set up again.

This pregnancy I will be 35 weeks when we move into our new house, so not doing anything before then. Also intending to put DS in the nursery where the cot will be so probably won't have her room set up for months after she is born.

Oct 2008

I still have not got anything set up Waiting for the room to finish being painted then will get stuck into getting everything set up and organised!

May 2005
    Canberra

This time round I have made a conscious decision not to set up babies room until about four or five months after they are born. Bubs will be rooming with us until then anyway, and I want to give my DS as much time as possible to 'forget' about the cot etc that used to be his. at the moment it is set up as a spare bedroom for when guests come and we will still need this, as I know all of DH's family will decide that that is the perfect to come and visit.

Dec 2008
    Brisbane

my first pregnancy was left til after the birth due to living with outlaws and the room being used for the computer.

second pregnancy it was done before i was 6mths along but we then decided to move so after the house was set up i done it a bit at a time.

this time round i started a few weeks ago. It was my computer room so had to clean everything out first etc. its coming along nicely.

Oct 2008

So what does everyone have in the babies room? Or what do they do to the room?

Dec 2008
    Brisbane

Everything we have for JellyBean is in her room except for the cot as it is in the garage being painted. it will be put up in there on the weekend once its finished.

Aug 2006

At the moment, ours is empty. It was also our computer/guest room so we had to clear all that out (computer now in my room which I hate!).

There's also flat packs with the furniture from ikea that we brought on the weekend in there, but that's it.

After having a baby that hated his bassinette and slept so much better in his own cot in his own room, I want to have that option available again when bub is born just in case!

Jul 2007
    melb

DS room has cot, wardrobe, chest or drawers with change table on top and sofa bed.

All his soft toys and currently a massive spacebag that i think i should seal and put away of clothes that dont fit him.