Thread: Baby Engaging

Default Baby Engaging

Having a bit of a freakout over here at the moment!! Although Tegan has made me feel heaps better (thanks babe ).

I am 30w & 5d today & just got back from the Drs. He said that Munchkin has started to engage. OMG, doesn't that mean he'll be coming soon? He didn't put a number 1/5th or whatever it is, just a tick, a plus sign & an E. Do you think that might mean he has started to engage, but not enough to count as one of the numbers they do?

Gosh I feel a bit dopey not even knowing what the numbers are or what they mean. Sorry guys, first timer here & I thought I had plenty of time before this sort of stuff started.

Lachlan engaged at 30wks too Sarah, and he was still in there at 38wks, so it doesn't mean things are going to happen any time soon. So just rest easy. Lachlan only came at 38wks cause he was induced.

Love

Oooh good, more people to tell me it's not necessarily an indication that he'll come early. Thanks Kat

LOL Sarah. Kam engaged around that time too, I freaked out Lachlan had engaged so early and then when I looked at Kam's he was at 31 or 32 wks

Love

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Sarah - bubs can also unengage if they feel like it too! It often doesn't mean anything to worry about, first bubs usually engage sooner than second bubs who tend to engage close to or during labour. But they totally have a mind of their own when it comes to engaging.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Oh that's right isn't it. Jacob disengaged on Tootie didn't he (or was that Matilda & Christy?!) OMG this preggie brain is getting worse LOL

Melinda Guest

What the others have said is right Sarah - Munchkin may have partially engaged now, but it doesn't necessarily mean he will arrive early. I know a girl in my ante-natal classes had fully engaged and was thinking she would go early, but guess what? She went over and had to be induced!!

I'm pretty sure that Matilda disengaged herself, and yeah, Jacob apparently did that during labour, the cheeky boy! He got up to some mischief in there during labour, when he'd been good during the whole PG - in just the right spot! During labour he turned the wrong way and was posterior and then disengaged....the OB couldn't feel his head at all when he did his last internal examination during labour.....then the emergency caesar was ordered as there was some meconium (although his HR was fine) and my cervix, although having got to 9cm, had started to swell, so there were numerous reasons why Jacob wasn't coming out that way!!!

No need to stress Sarah, like i said in the NSW thread, Lily engaged at 31 weeks. My doc also only put a tick and said that she was only just engaged. Then at around 37 weeks she was classed as 3/5 enaged.She stayed the same for 6 weeks.

Sarah, when I was pg with Joel he engaged really early too. I thought the same thing that I would go early. He was 3 days late soooo.... Perhaps not, sorry about that. In saying that my other 2 boys didn't engage at all. Brandon did when I was in labour of course because he came out that way but Noah didn't unless you can having a foot stuck down there engaging.

Take care
    Trish

Pietta Guest

I am pretty sure that Matilda disengaged really close to her being born- if i remember correctly..

Ryley was always staying put then moving- he didnt know what he wanted to do and he engaged early and if you cna remember far back Ryley was almost 2 weeks late! so dont stress sweet!

Default Engagement

Its a good thing when they engage, it makes more room for your tummy and lungs and stuff.!!! First babies generally engage earlier than subsequent babies. 2nd or 3rd babies might not engage until just before they are born.
    Everything seems to be on track. Hey some docs can talk really fast with a whole heap of medical jargon. Next time, Stop him/her in his tracks and say - What does this mean?? It might help them remember to explain things more clearly as THEY are the ones with the medical degree, not us.
    Theres nothing worse than leaving a dr appt with more questions than before.!

Ditto to everyone's comments!!

My babies (so far!) were engaged early too.

Best wishes

OK - so heres a silly question! What does it acutally mean when the baby engages?
    *Fiona feels really dumb right now.....*

LOL Fiona it's okay... it's when they descend into your pelvis in preparation for birth. Often people refer to it as "dropping".
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I love you guys :hbeat:

Feeling much better about everything now. I'm not really bothered if he is born early, just not toooo early IYKWIM?!

LOL Sarah, don't you love BellyBelly? Always guaranteed a stack of replies waiting for you not long after you post And if they make you feel much better too, it's a great big bonus
    Kelly xx

And that's the exact reason why I'm so addicted Kelly I can come on here feeling totally clueless about something and after a little while (it was about 10mins for the first reply) be so confident & reassured that everything is ok.