Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby Kicks

Well, we'll see if my son will become taller than me. That will mean that he is taller than his dad too (since Monkey is shorter than me) ... we'll see if my genes or Monkey's genes are stronger. So far it looks like he is coming after me (2 weeks ahead of average growth)

Snowmonkey has been very active yesterday. My belly has been shaking and wobbling all over the place. Last night when I was rubbing cream into my belly, he kept pushing his bum into my hand. (midwife told me that was his bum on my right side) It was so cute. Everytime my hand came to the right side of the belly, he would poke it right out. I would push against it and then continue rubbing in circles and when I came back to my right side, I would stop and sure enough he would push against my hand again. It was so cute! Ít's so nice that they are getting so interactive now! Monkey was watching my belly shake in awe. Unfortunately most of the times he misses it ... it's like Snowmonkey knows he's being watched!

OK, I am back to my stressing over bubs kicking, I just cant help it, he has been quiet lately and I just need to know if it is normal for them to have busy and quiet spurts. Last week he would kick on and off all morning, and sometimes at night, but this week he might give a stray kick here and there, but nothing like 10 kicks in an hour etc.

I feel fine otherwise, but (TMI warning) have had a bit of gas lately, like my tummy isn't agreeing with something I am eating, and have had a lot of stitches across my bump, and just recently it has been aching quite a bit. I'm sure these things are all normal, but when bubs isn't kicking I worry.

I guess partly I just need to get it off my chest, so thanks for the listening.

I almost just didn't post this, as he is kicking slightly right now (just a few stray kicks), but they seem to have gotten lighter, could it be as he has less room to wind up his legs to kick?! I remember Snowy (in 3rd Tri - Sept thread?) being a bit worried about less kicking a week ago, and someone replied from about now they might quieten down as there is less room (having said that, I still don't feel 'pushing' instead of kicks)?

Jess

Hey Jess,
    I'm the same ATM. My bubs has quietened down now. She used to kick a lot and they were strong, now she doesn't kick as much, in fact I think she doesn't have the room to get the swing in for a good kick most of the time. I do however feel slight tickling sensation at times and I know it's her moving slightly. Sometimes I can even feel the build up to a big movement. The room in there is running out and I TRUELY believe that is the main reason for the slowdown in kicks. I went all morning this morning (from around 1am) without feeling any movement at all. At around 11am she finally started moving again. I think u just have to be aware of the smaller movements from now on because they are more cramped.
    But as always, if u get too worried about it or if insinct tells u that something seems wrong, get it checked. Everyone tells me drs r used to being asked about stuff like this and they'd rather u ask than something be wrong and they not find out till later.
    Better to be safe than sorry.
    Hope this helps a little. Sorry if I rambled on too much.
    Hope everything is ok.

Jess, I think as long as you get any movement - whether weak or strong - that all is good. I guess they are just running out of space. Recently it has totally turned into pushing. Sometimes I wonder if bubs is trying to bust out through my belly button. I think only if you have no movement at all for a day, you should get worried.
    Hope that helps.
    Mine definitely goes through phases. I will have 2-3 days of crazy activity and then 2 days of less activity.

Snowy

Thanks girls. I really did start to go into a panic last night. I was chatting with the girls on IRC after the trivia and I realised that compared to others my kicks are extremely light. So I am OK with the fact that I am still feeling movement, just now worried that I have never felt strong kicks. I would describe the kicks I have had as more twitches. A few times DH has felt them but only just, and a few times I have been able to see my belly move, but again only slightly.

I am so confused about this, I don't know if it is just lack of sleep (I have been getting horrible side pain on the left of my belly towards my back at night and it has been keeping me awake). I rang the hospital last night and she seemed happy with the amount of movement I was having but she asked me to drink a glass of icy water and I did that 3 times with no movement following so that made me upset.

I will keep you guys posted on the movements I feel over the next 24hrs and see how it compares to you. As a start I have probably felt 4 small kicks this morning (it is 8:45am and I get up around 7:15am). When I was lying in bed at around 5am with a hot water bottle on my aching side I felt 3 small kicks in a row but I haven't included those), btw, is it safe to have a hot water bottle so close to bubs, I worry it will make his home a bit too hot?!

Jess

Just thought I would let you know that I rang my hospital again and spoke to a really nice midwife and she said just come in to put your mind at ease, so I will be going there straight after work .... I am sooooooo glad I called ....

Oh and an update, I have recorded 23 very light kicks since this morning.

Jess

oh JEss thats so scary!!! I hope everything goes well for you!

spiddles Guest

I hardly ever felt Liam kick during the day (probably because I was too busy working) only at night. DH use to feel him kick more than I did as would have his arm around me while I slept. As soon as I would goto sleep he would start. DH said it was so cute cause everytime he would kick I would grunt in my sleep. I would always worry that he never moved.

When he was 5 days old and went for his heel ***** test, the nurse said I would have hated to be pregnant with him becuase he has such a strong kick.

Oh Jess, you poor thing, let us know asap how you get on at the hospital!! It is definitely better to check it out and put your mind at rest, but 23 kicks sounds pretty good. I definitely get busy & slow times, and during the slow times it's like the whole world comes to a standstill till he starts moving again. He seems to really quieten down for a while after I have a bath or shower too. Another thing is, if your placenta is positioned at the front of your uterus, as mine apparently is, you won't feel as many kicks because it's like an extra layer. Also mine are less like kicks and more like a pushing sensation now. Anyway, I'm sure all is well and I will be waiting to hear your next post!

I agree with Beth - you might have an anterior placenta which cushions the kicks. Has your OB mentioned anything?
    I hope the midwives at the clinic were able to put your mind to rest and all is well with bubs. Let us know how it went.

PS.
    Mine never reacts to cold water. Don't know why...

All was fine at the hospital, the midwives were so lovely and I had the CTG (strapped up to a moniter which has baby's heart beat and the buzzer to press when I feel movement) for 20 mins and she said it all looked perfectly normal and just reassured me that everyone's movements feel different, so I guess I just have to accept that the kicks some people describe are personally not what happens to me.

I feel much better, thanks again!

Jess

What a relief Jess. You're lucky that you had such a nice midwife to suggest you go in to get checked out.

That's good news Jess. I'm glad you had a very nice midwife, you don't find many, most just tell you to not worry, etc.

Jess,

I am so glad that you were able to go in and get hooked on on that CTG thing - was that what Kathryn was talking about?

I am glad that the mid wives were helpful, makes it easier knowing you'll be back there in approx. 10 weeks!

Have a good day

nellbe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12