Thread: Baby on right side!?

Default Baby on right side!?

Would like to ask a question about the position of a baby. Until a couple of weeks ago baby was head down, back on the left but when I had my last 2 appointments he had turned, so now his back is on my right side.

I am pretty good at sleeping and lying on my left side so pretty peeved that he has swung over!! I've been trying to stay on my left side as much as possible, my last birth was a C-Section because baby was posterior and I'm worried I'm going to go through the whole back pain labour again!

Do I need to worry about him swinging back to the left?

Why is being ROA not ok for birthing?

If anyone has advice, I'd love to hear them. I feel like the clock is ticking! I have been to the spinning babies site and have been practising a lot of what they say but so far he hasn't budged.

Thanks!

L.

Hmm Id like to know too. My bub has been mostly spine on mothers right but occasionally on the left and GP doesnt seem at all worried. Does that mean a back labour? I thought it was just when the spine swung right around to the mothers spine that is is a problem. Now I am worried!!!!! Better go check out that spinning babies site too!

My bub had his back on the left all the time until recently. Now he changes sides, sometimes a few times a day. I think his trying to get comforty. I don't think its anything you need to worry.

I read that to get from ROA to LOA, baby needs to spin counter clockwise, thus getting into a posterior position.... Do they just get stuck there for some reason!?

I had the same thing with my DD3. She stayed on the right up until 10 minutes before she was born. Apparently, as you said, babies tend to turn clockwise, which means a ROA baby has a long way to go. I don't think it's a matter of getting stuck, necessarily, but just a matter of a lot of work (sometimes) for the body to do to get the baby in the right position. Or a lot of work to push out a posterior baby. But it doesn't have to be bad - there are a couple of mums here on BB who birthed posterior babies without too much trouble, and in my own instance, she turned all at once very quickly right at the end of labour.
    All the best with the baby spinning - but try not to stress too much if your little one doesn't turn. It doesn't mean that it will have to be a c-section like your previous one, or even that it will have to be a hard labour. Good luck for your VBAC!

I also thought it only made a difference if the baby was spine at the mothers back? Mine also spends alot of time with her little bum to the right of my belly button, but does occasionally swing it to the left. I'm sure its fine! The doc says they move all the time.

My bub switches sides so regularly, I wouldn't worry about it. It is preferable for the bub's spine to be on the mum's left but they really can and do change positions often - esp since you're at 35 weeks, I truly wouldn't worry.

As some PP's have said, babies spin even in labour. Still, keep practicing those positions on all fours, it can only help!

GL!

Thanks guys.. will just have to wait and see then... Think I've become a little paranoid about getting this baby right because my first birth was so painful!! Fingers crossed, not long to go now!

L.

My bub is fully engaged, but according to the midwife, he can still turn 360 degrees. He spends most of his time with his back to my left but still changed positions regurlarly.
    My thought is to deal with the contractions bending over in case he is posterior at that point, or try to beat them on all fours. But I decided not to worry about this untill labour actually starts as he obviously still has plenty of room to move around!

Good luck!