Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackmores Raspberry Leaf Tablets

~Belinda~ Guest

Default Blackmores Raspberry Leaf Tablets

Is anyone taking these at present? I don't really like tea and it's warming up so prefer the tablets. It says to take 2 tablets, 3 times daily. How many do you take?

I will advise my Ob next appointment that I wish to take them.

Sammi Jane Guest

Hi,

I've just started taking them this week. I'm only taking 2 tabs with brekkie & dinner, so 4 a day. when I hit 36 weeks I'll increase it to 6 tabs a day.

which is better...? the tea or the tablets? or a combination?.... casue i can't seem to find the tea anywhere... so wondering whether just taking tablets will also do the trick!?

i think the tablets are the same thing as the tea, just a more measured dose so you can control more easily how much you are taking.

SueB Guest

I'm taking Blackmores RLT 2 tablets twice a day at brekkie and Dinner and will increse them at 36 weeks... Haroula you can get the tea at any good health food store i just paid $5 for a box..

The tea is sipposed to be stronger as it's fresh .. then tea bags .. and the tablets are a controlled dose ...

the tea tastes awful! nothing like raspberry it's a bit bitter too. I took it for my last pregnancy and couldn't have handled more than 1 cup a day eeww

SueB Guest

joralyd i actually am surprised the tea isn't anywhere near as bad as i thought it would be ... mind you i am oly having two cups a day very far apart :P

I found the tea very mild- highly drinkable. I think I have the Red Lion brand (something like that- it may be Panda even!) and it was from the health food shop. It actually has no raspberry taste (and it shouldn't as it is not the fruit but the leaf) and I have found it very easy to drink. Taking 4 tablets of 4 cups of tea a day should be fine and do the job.

I was joking when I said it didn't taste like raspberries I'm aware it's the leaf not the fruit for me I found it had an awful taste and I struggled to drink it every day, perhaps my hightened sense of taste due to pregnancy could have something to do with it. In hindsight I should have tried the tablets instead would have been easier to swallow.

~Belinda~ Guest

Thanks for all your help ladies! I have bought some tablets today (Blackmores) so will start taking them

~Belinda~ Guest

Ok I grabbed my raspberry leaf tablets yesterday but it says to take 3 tablets at 4-5 times per day! I am 31.5 weeks pregnant. I took 3 last night with dinner and 3 this morning. Maybe I should just take 2 at 2 times a day until I reach 36 weeks. I am confused.

Please help, need to know what everyone is taking.

I forgot to start taking them until this week (38 weeks tomorrow) - ooops. talk about baby brain.

I've found a couple of sources all which give different guidelines:
    - 4 x 300 mg tablets (or 3 x 400 mg tablets), 2 to 3 times a day with meals from 32 weeks. (birth.com.au)
    - 2 x 300mg or 400mg tablets with each meal (three times a day) from 32 weeks. (pregnancy.com.au)

Compared to blackmores packaging which suggests 3 tablets 4-5 times per day! That's a huge discrepancy between recommended doses - anywhere from 1800mg to 4500mg per day!!

I asked my naturopath, who told me that the strength of one 300mg tablet compared to another brand may vary depending on where the leaf is sourced and the extraction method used. He recommends the tea for his clients, but was not able to give me a recommended 'standard' dose for the tablets. He also told me the optimum dose may vary depending on the individual. As far as I am aware, there is no documented 'unsafe' dose for RL in the third trimester, but there is research which suggests that low doses may only provide limited benefit. (So, in other words, no idea!)

BTW, is anyone else finding that it turns their urine bright yellow!?

~Belinda~ Guest

Thanks Sue, I will have a look at those websites. Your help has been great!

Bump! I used RLT tabs last time but can't remember how many I took.

Anyway, I've bought the Blackmores ones and the dose seems rather high, 3 tabs 4 - 5 times a day! Can I take less? Currently I've been taking 3 tabs twice a day.

What is the RLT supposed to do?

I am interested LOL

The blackmores ones are awful. No one can take that many tablets in a day as well as pregnancy vitamins, surely?

Anway... I buy mine from my local health food shop and from memory it is 1-2 tablets per day.

1 - 2 tabs a day seems so much less than the rec'd dose of Blackmores of 12 - 15 a day! I only bought them as they were on special at my health food shop. I took gel cap ones last time and they were so much easier to swallow.

Hiya,

RLT is meant to 'ripen' the cervix by toning muscles around it. It is said to strengthen the effeciency of contractions by making contraction stronger therefore quicker labour. As with most things- the jury is still out as to whether it works or not- but hey- anything that 'could' ease my labour is welcomed with open arms in my world...lol
    I'm almost 38 weeks so not long now (hopefully) so I will report back my findings...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast