Thread: Bowen Therapy...is it safe?

Default Bowen Therapy...is it safe?

Is Bowen Therapy safe at any stage of pregnancy?

Sorry if a stupid question but what is bowen therapy?

Some sort of massage type thing...a friend of mine gets it done. I'm just being nosy!

Hi mrsr,
    I have been told by my doc that its not very safe during pregnancy as they drain the lymphatic system when they are doing the therepy/massage.
    But that was just my doctors opinion and as we all know some docs dont much like "alternative" therapies so it would be great to hear from anyone here if they hae had it done and what the Bowan therapist said about pregnancy.
    I decided not to go ahead with it after my doctor said that.... best to be safe than sorry I suppose and I had not yet gone to a Bowan person in QLD only in SA.....
    When you are not preg Bowan is AWESOME!! Takes a few goes and a few times of feeling a bit funny afterwards but once they get you 'flowing' again all my back pain went away and I felt great.

Definately safe during pg! I think Kirstie's Dr just doesn't like alternative therapies LOL. I had it done with this pg on my due date to try to turn Alister into a more favourable position. Make sure it is with a qualitfied Bowtech Practicioner though. The woman I saw does a lot of pg women through all stages of pg and has great success turning breech babies too. I would recommend it to anyone.

I was concerned about the lymphatic side of things...hence my asking and my friend is around 6 weeks pregnant now.

lol Sherie
    That is really awesome to know!! Cause after my doc said that I just didnt worry about pursueing it..... and yep.... she is definatley one for not leaning towards anything other then "modern medicine"

I might get myself on the phone and try and find one...cause i can tell you running around after a 1 year old and being 27 weeks preggos is taking its toll on my back!! poor me :P

So Bowtech you say???

A Bowtech Practicioner is someone who has done the full diploma course and attained their degree. Often there are some people who do a weekend course that gives them some skills in Bowen, but they can't do a lot of the manouvers needed for pg (particularly if you are trying to turn a malpositioned baby)