thread: Breast feeding or Formula!

Nov 2008
    U.S.A

Talking

serenity lee- I got curious and tried the squeezing nipple thing.... it did'nt work. I also wondered about that. You here about women who can see a little colostrum before birth.

I am getting really excited about breastfeeding!!!!

Nov 2008
    Melbourne

I don't get anything when I squeeze either... but my bb's are huge – I went from a C to an E cup early on and I'm beginning to think the E's are getting a little small. I would've thought that with this much growth there would have to be something there, but apparently not...

Nov 2008
    U.S.A

Does anyone else just feel super excited when they read about breast feeding and when the baby comes! It seems like such a beautiful thing I can't wait to experience it all.

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2007

bfeeding for me!
    i never got any colostrum during the last preg and was worried but we established bfeeding really well and with minimal issues. havent had any colostrum this time either. nothing to worry about at all...

Apr 2009
    coomera

So I thought it might be nice to take a little poll on here. Who is planning on breast feeding, and who is using formula. I have nothing against either, i just like to here peoples opinions on this matter.

P.S. I am breast feeding
    WHY: I am a first time mother, and I have always wanted to try this. Besides the fact that it is great for the baby, i heard it has a great bonding experience.

Anyone Ever breast fed after a cesarean? Curious how that works too.
    hello yes i breast fed after a cesarean it takes abit longer for the milk to come in

May 2008
    where the V8's roar

Serenity lee, when I was pregnant I was never able to squeeze a drop and 13 mnths later still bf.

I had an emergency c/section with DS after 17 hrs of labour and didn't actually feed DS until 10 hr after his birth (they did help me to express twice throughout the night and as far as I know didn't give DS any formulae) It did take 5 days for my milk to come in and in those first few days I literally had DS on the boob for upto an hour at a time with a self-imposed hour break. Be prepared it is hard but so very worth it, I got my first smiles while bf. Drinking as often as you can is also very important, it was key for me.

The other ladies are correct when they are first born the MW explained to me that their tummies are the size of a pea then grow to a size of a marble until they are the size of a golf ball once your milk comes in.

Goodluck whatever you decide to do.

Apr 2009
    coomera

bfeeding for me!
    i never got any colostrum during the last preg and was worried but we established bfeeding really well and with minimal issues. havent had any colostrum this time either. nothing to worry about at all...
    after both of my kids my milk dries up after 2 months it really sux for me it makes me feel like theres something rong with me im ova it now but at the time i felt like sh'it

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

https://www.bellybelly.com.au/baby/baby-formula

Baby formula is considered the next best thing for a baby only where there is no breastmilk available. While baby formula is not allowed to be advertised in Australia, you may see these same formula companies advertising 'nutritious' toddler drinks in similar colours and designs as the baby formula tins. Want to find out what the baby formula manufacturers don't want you to know?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Oct 2008

I don't really get any drops..If I squeeze my nipple I can just get a tiny little bit of stuff that comes out...wouldn't even be the size of **** ants eye The only reason I know is because recently when I was running a bath I was just checking myself out (as you do ) and noticed a bit of (sorry if TMI) dry crusty stuff on my nipples and then when I grabbed hold of them I got some stuff that came out.

Oct 2008

serenity lee- I got curious and tried the squeezing nipple thing.... it did'nt work. I also wondered about that. You here about women who can see a little colostrum before birth.

I am getting really excited about breastfeeding!!!!
    I don't even wear breast pads because I'm not leaking. Some days if I squeeze I don't even get anything out, then others I do.

I have heard of some women going through pregnancy without leaking at all and their milk comes in fine and they have no issues breastfeeding.

As I said earlier though I am attending my Hospital's Breastfeeding classes so I can try and get the best start with it.

Jul 2005
    Sydney

I had a c/s due to placenta praevia at 38 wks 6 days and couldn't be with my bub for at least half an hour after birth (probably closer to an hour). I bf her as soon as she was brought into me by my DP and she was a beautiful bfer. I found the c/s calm and there were no complications. My ob did a great job and I took very little pain med, which I think helped bub by not making her sleepy. My milk came bang in on 48 hrs (almost to the minute), so it won't necessarily delay your milk coming in. I had an abundant supply and was better educated thanks to my interest prenatally, which made for a very uneventful intro to bfing!

As you can see, we are still going three years later, but I had no firm intentions beyond the first six months when pg!

Nov 2008
    U.S.A

SerenityLee- I also am going to take the breastfeeding class supplied by my hospital. I think its a good idea. I do better with hands on instructions anyways

Feb 2009

I'm also planning on breastfeeding...

On another note though, I was wondering how many of you ladies have started lactating (sorry personal question I know)... I know it doesn't always happen in pregnancy, but was wondering if others are cos I haven't had a thing...
    Thanks to the maxolon, I have plenty already! Its both stopped the morning sickness and boosted the supply.. So if it were not for the maxolon I wouldnt be - but that could be because I would still be unable to keep anything down and malnourished.

My body is too confusing for me at times.

Nov 2008
    U.S.A

Inertia- What is Maxalon?

Feb 2008
    Down Under

maxalon helps with morning sickness, its great
    i have motilium to help boost my supply

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

Maxalon is an anti emetic, that has the side effect of helping to increase milk supply. It is only prescribed to increase supply in extreme cases (as with Motilium), nearly all women can breastfeed successfully all on their own .

For the mums to be who are excited about BFing, and want more info, check out the Australian Breastfeeding Association. Their website has lots of great info, and they also run breastfeeding education classes which are fantastic! Hospital classes are okay, but they can vary in their usefulness. The ABA classes are really well worthwhile. As far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as being over-prepared for BFing, the more you know the better!

As for the original question, breastfeeding all the way here!

May 2007
    Home

Awww totally breastfeeding!!
    I loved breastfeeding DD! so beautiful (and convenient!!) Pop out a boob and there's dinner! LOL! So easy!

DD was born and then i was rushed to theatre (had complications). I didn't get to see her for about 4 hours later, and i established breastfeeding fine! So not sure if thats like having a c-section?

Oh also - i didn't have a drop of milk when i was pregnant, totally dry! But yea - still no problems in the b/f area
    Last edited by tellytubby; April 23rd, 2009 at 01:02 PM.

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

I had an emergency c/s and have been breastfeeding my DS for over 2 months now. There were a few early attachment issues, but I don't think that had anything to do with the c/s. The worst with the c/s was that I didn't get to hold bub until 2 hours after he was born so I missed out on that skin-to-skin contact straight after birth.
    Also, my milk came in on Day 2, so no delay there with having a c/s.