Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breech baby TURN!

Hey Alan & Kelly

Yes I have been trying the knee/chest exercise every day on the bed. Also shining the torch down low. I even tried using the frozen peas on the baby's head. No luck. Have to try the music yet (looking for headphones). I will do anything if it helps!!

The hospital has booked me in to turn the baby this friday....I will be around 37 and a half weeks. Do you think that's too early? I guess if I go into labour at 38 weeks it's not. My last baby arrived on his due date. But I guess you never know if you will give birth early.

It's nice to hear baby's can turn last minute. Though I think I will only be given up to the 39th/40th week for her to turn (not overdue) before they schedule a c-section. I worry about the risks of giving birth to a breech baby though.

I will see if I can get a copy of those books!

Thanks for the info guys!

Cheers
    Cathy

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It depends on the skill of the person doing it, some babies will just turn back again but some will stay vertex. Read into it, research and see how you go. Get hold of those books if you can though, they are ideal for your situation. Only 3-5% of babies come on their due date.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

The same dr I am seeing turned my friend's baby at 37 weeks. And he stayed head down about 2 weeks, then turned back. She went into labour and ended up with c-section.

I'd be happy to try giving birth to a breech baby, though I've been told my babies have slightly larger heads than the average (though normal). So that kind of concerns me as that bit comes out last. I worry about compression of the cord etc too.

Cathy

I wouldn't let that bother you though, their skulls are not fixed but mould their way through. Do you know what position baby is in? If baby is frank breech this is the position they are most like to be happy with in terms of what they feel is safe. I know of mums that have had footling breech babies safely, one at home when labour happened way too fast! I think once you are empowered with information you will feel more comforable, having information and the right information in your mind makes SUCH a difference. Let me know if you can't find those books and I will see if I can help you.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Also this might help get an idea of the process:

As in labour with a baby in a normal head-down position, uterine contractions typically occur at regular intervals and gradually cause the cervix to become thinner and to open. In the commoner breech presentations, the baby’s bottom (rather than feet or knees) is what is first to descend through the maternal pelvis and emerge from the vagina.

At the beginning of labour, the baby is generally in an oblique position, facing either the right or left side of the mother's back. As the baby's bottom is a less efficient dilator than the head, the buttocks may remain high until late in labor. In order for the baby to pass through the mother’s pelvis, there is flexion at the side of the waist, so that one hip becomes the leading part.

The mother's pelvic floor muscles cause the baby to turn slightly so that the hips are born, usually one at a time, with the baby facing one of the mother's inner thighs. At this time the baby's shoulders are entering the mother's pelvis, and the baby's position adjusts again so that they are obliquely facing the mother's back.

The shoulders emerge as the baby’s head is entering the pelvis. The combination of maternal muscle tone and uterine contractions cause the baby’s head to flex, chin to chest. The baby's position changes again so that they are facing the mother's sacrum. Then the face emerges, and finally the back of the baby's head.

Due to the increased pressure during labour and birth, it is normal for the baby's leading hip to be bruised and genitalia to be swollen; this usually resolves shortly after birth.

Babies who assumed the frank breech position in utero may continue to hold their legs in this position for some days after birth - this is normal.
    Kelly xx

Thanks for that! I think they have told me a couple of times she is in the frank breech position, but I am sure I feel little feet wedged down in my pelvis (below the hair line) most of the time.

I'll see how I go with the books.

Cheers
    Cathy

Just thought I would add, as far as I know, Breech Birth Woman Wise by Maggie Banks is only available from the acegraphics website... so just google the book and name and it should be the top link.
    Kelly xx

Ok thanks Kelly!

Cathy

Just want to say good luck, Cathy - don't let them scare you into having an op that actually scares you too!
    I have read here and in other sources that visualisations (when using relaxation techniques) have been known to turn a baby. Even if you don't manage to turn the baby the other girls here are right, there is plenty of evidence to support successful vaginal breech births.
    It's YOUR pregnancy and baby, not theirs - sometimes doctors need to be reminded that the hospitals and multiple medical degree'd people don't have a patent for this childbirth caper!
    Many good vibes to you

Thanks IK! I will let you all know how it goes!

Cathy

Well I had the ECV today. It was unsuccessful. They turned her half way, but because she's frank breech, it is the hardest to turn. Later I felt her head up where it was before.

Midwife suggested I get some moxa sticks. Told me of a website I can get them. But they take 14 days to deliver. I don't have 14 days!!

I'm just so disappointed. I really believe she just doesn't want to turn.

Cathy

You could look up your local alternative therapists and ask them if they use the moxa sticks - my myotherapist uses them on me for an injured shoulder, so maybe an acupuncturist could do this for you? It'll take less than 14 days to find someone you could pay to do it (if you have health cover, it may cover this?)!

Yeah that is a thought. I was wondering what to do.

The midwife even suggested hyponosis. Dunno about that one though.

Cathy

Hypnosis is great! Not everyone is able to be hypnotised, but hypnotherapy at least gets you to go into yourself.
    I've done it before and it doesn't feel like you're under someone else's control - it shouldn't feel that way. A good hypnotherapist will tell you this, and will put you into a relaxed state, but not sleepy - you don't want to fall asleep when you're paying for the time!
    It's worth a shot, Cathy

Have you checked out the spinningbabies website? Well worth a read.
    Kelly xx

Yes I have checked out that site and so many others. I do feel though that this baby just really wants to stay head up. I think maybe my placenta being low is a factor as I had the same thing with my daughter.

She turned from trasnsverse back to breech almost immediately after the ECV. She's one determined little bub.

Cathy

Hi Cathy, another Cathy here! I was wondering what ended up happening in your story?

I am currently 35 weeks with a breech. Have been to acupuncture and have been using the moxybustion stick, but no luck yet. Am due for ECV this Wednesday 19th April.

Would love any info/advice you can share, esp as to how you found the ECV. I know it was unsuccessful, but wondering how painful etc it was?

Cathy

Hey Cathy

I had a baby girl last week! (April 7 8.54am at Logan Hospital)

I also tried moxibustion and ECV. Both were unsucessful. ECV is VERY uncomfortable (you will feel some pain briefly), but it does work for some people. Worth a try if you really want to avoid a caesarean. Anything is worth trying to avoid an operation hey?

In my case I tried just about everything. Exercises, ECV, etc..and my hospital would not allow a breech birth, so I had an elective caesarean. As it turns out my baby girl was a big girl (4kg) and long as well..57cm!), so maybe she just grew too big to turn around. Probably hogwash, but I am happy she was born healthy. At the end of the day that is what counts.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!!

Cheers
    Cathy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast