Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CM Question (TMI warning - no choice unfortunately)

Default CM Question (TMI warning - no choice unfortunately)

Ok, so i wasn't quite sure how to entitle this thread, but i guess it's along these lines. I'm really going to struggle on how to word this / describe, but i will do my best and hopefully someone can help. I'm sure it's absolutely nothing to worry about, but it's weird, and i need the reassurance!

Is it possible to leak amniotic fluid / waters during your pregnancy???
    Lately (over the last week or so - since i had the really bad period-like-pain), i have been terribly 'leaky'. It's generally watery and clear and i am one hundred percent certain that it is not urine. If anything it smells like post-DTD i guess, but with my hormones all over the place, i hadn't done that in ages (poor DF) :P

I have had next to no discharge during my pregnancy - except from weeks 14-16 where it was really white and thick, but still sort of runny - i gathered that was leukkorhea (sp) i had read about. And then from 16wks i started getting leaky, well more like fully lactating, bbs - and so was extremely 'dry' all the time.

So this new 'fluid' of sorts is very weird... I end up with massive wet patches in my knickers and i've had to start wearing liners it's getting so bad. It's not urine. But it positively feels like ive wet myself when it happens...

And then, when CM does look remotely 'normal' it's really thick. Not stringy or cheesy like thrush, just thick and white...

I hope this has sort of explained enough for some advice...?
    If it is waters leaking, can it be harmful to bubby? Does it replenish itself? Do i need to tell my midwife about this? How do i tell my midwife!!!? Am worried, im not a fan of doctors and having to free up this kind of info...

It could be either leaking waters or CM, but seriously if you are worried it is best to get it checked. When I was pg with my DD their was a girl in my belly group who leaked her waters, and she described it as feeling like she was wetting herself.

The test is very simple and can be done quite quickly and will put your mind at rest, so yes I would tell your midwife and then you will know one way or another for sure.

cant help you but if it was me I would tell your midwife whats the worsed she/he can say no dear you are just wetting yourself ( as happens when you have more children O the joys of it all) but you waters do not as far as I know replench themselves. If he doesnt answer tonight I would PM Alan tonght with this question as he would would be able to help ypou better than me.. Good luck..

Hi Ashlea

Amnotic fluid is often described as smelling like semen. It would be worth getting checked out just in case. If it is amniotic fluid and your membrane has ruptured they will need to keep a close eye on it. It may be nothing to worry about but worth mentioning.

It is important that you tell them what you have told us in this post, i know it is sometimes difficult or embarrasing to talk about, but it is best for your health and the health of bub.

Good luck.

Ali - or anyone else - what does the test involve? Can i do it at a GP, or another hospital? I'm in melbourne at the moment but booked into Geelong...

Tali - thanks for your input - i had thought that it was possibly just incontinence, but, figured that would also be accompanied by already needing to pee a lot, slash coinciding with coughing sneezing and all the jazz - which it isn't. It also does not smell like urine at all... But i guess i have to keep that idea in mind.

AngeA - thank you also!

Does anyone else have any ideas??????
    Will definitely ask alan tomorrow. And/or yogababy.

Hi Ashnant
    Without being able to see your discharge it is difficult for me to say for sure.
    It is not unusual for you CM to increase late in pregnancy and needing to change your liner every time you go to the toilet would not be unusual. However it is also possible that your waters are leaking. What concerns me a little is that you say it smells a little like after you DTD. Women often describe the smell of your fluid like semen. Now to put your mind at ease. Leaking fluid will not harm your baby in the short term (a couple of days or so). If you only need liners then your fluid (if it is fluid) is not leaking too much. Normally your fluid does replenish itself but only slowly. A slow leak will often repair itself.
    So here is what I suggest you do.
    Do not panic, everything is going to be ok
    If you are still leaking tomorrow put a pad on in the morning and then go to a hospital, they can test to see if it is fluid or not. There are a couple of tests they can do but the most common one involves taking a swab of the fluid (they can take from your pad). They can see the result within a few seconds.
    Again do not panic, your baby will be fine.

Thanks Alan.
    It has been going on for about a week - but increased specifically yesterday, so i thought i better ask.
    It's not really gushing or trickling constantly but, it hapeening 5-6 or now 9-10 times a day.
    I guess it can't hurt for me to go to the hospital and ask either way. Better to have my mind at ease in the end.

If you leak when you cough/sneeze then there is a chance that it is your fluid. A trip to the hospital is a good idea and the test is not invasive. I'm goning to bed now but will check back in the morning so if you have any more questions just post I can answer them then.

How did you go?
    What did the hospital say?

Haven't been in yet. Mind you had a complete meltdown and flipped out last night before i went to bed, it was amusing. We ended up calling MIL (this is at 1am) but then i felt too awkward to talk about it. She's practically a stranger to me and i'd barely feel comfortable asking my mum (who is in hosp at the moment hence didn't call her).

I'm going to go in later today, DF works a late shift so im only just out of bed now.

Alan just another question - can heat / dehydration and physical stress cause you to have contractions? I'm probably wrong but i think i had two last night - and im pretty sure they weren't BH either, because they actually hurt... But everything is ok now.

Hi ashlea i just noticed this thread, i had a friend who lost a fair amount of her amniotic fluid in the late stages of pregnancy, she had to spend a fair amount of time in hospital as she lost a fair amount of fluid, when it came time to birth her son, she had what is called a "dry labour" and it was very painful!! If you have been leaking for a week dear, i would pop into the hospital for a quick checkup, as soon as you can. Especially after a few little contractions... just for peace of mind if nothing else!!

Take care!!
    xoxoxo

So, what is "normal" discharge from say week 30 onwards? Ash your post got me wondering too, I've had some days where I have a fair bit and was wondering if it was normal or if it was fluid....!

Im positive i've only thought of it because everything seems to be happening at the same time, otherwise i might have thought it normal. For instance - bubby has been quiet, not moved and in the same position (as far as i can tell) for the last twelve hours or more - and there's been nothing noticeable. So i figure well, it's a leak and bubby is blocking it, or i guess it could just be pee when the pressure changes and whatnot - i sort of freaked because it doesnt seem to be urine.
    Anyway im heading to the hospital later on.

Goodluck Ashlea hopefully the doctors will do a simple swab test and you will know exactly what's happening.

Ashnant
    The contractions you felt were probably BH. Dont believe it if people tell you they dont hurt. For some women they can be quite painful

Good luck today hope all will turn out fine try not to stress yourself to much...

LOL at calling MIL at 1 in the morning and then not wanting to talk I too had a crying fit while preganant with DD2 so DH called his mum I dont like her so didnt know what to say so she a DH just talked together....I hope yours had some kind words for you...

Just checking in to see how you went mate, i am sure it is all good! Take care!!

well you still haven't checked in with us so now I am starting to worry so please let us know how you went I really dont need anymore worry lines LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast