Thread: Day to day pain relief for niggles

Default Day to day pain relief for niggles

As things start getting closer, I'm getting all the right niggles in the wrong places - well wrong in that its bloody hard chasing Jenna when you feel like things are startting to fall apart.
    If I didn't have Jenna, I would simply rest with heat packs, but I just dont have that luxury now.
    I have been controlling the bad pains to now with weekly osteo appts, and very rarely at night I've been taking a couple of panadol or panadiene - only on the nights when I really need sleep, but I'm not comfortable that this is something I should keep doing for possibly the next 3w.

Any suggestions on continuous pain relief? I'm talking about the engagement pain, ligament pain, back pain etc. Like I say - its fine when Jenna is resting, I can too, but when she is on the go, I have to be, and its just starting to get a little uncomfy.
    I'm not happy popping analgesic for the bad pain everytime I think I need to. Once every couple of days is fine, but not interested in staying dosed up.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Obviously I am active during the pains - walking (chasing) her, running errands, playing etc etc.

And I know this is all normal, and I'm not complaining too loudly.... Yet

on a really bad day i have a routine that seems to ensure me at least two hours sleep...
    before going to bed i stretch for an hour or so, self massaging along the way, have two panadol, then i have a hot shower, sometimes put my fitball in the shower and sit on it so the piping hot water is on my lower back, otherwise i just sway and stuff. Then hop out and cover myself in lavender and baby oil, especially on my wrists and temples, jump into bed and if not too hot put a hot water bottle on my lower back wedged in by a pillow....
    have you tryed some time at the pool? the only time im nearly pain free is when im floating on my tummy in the pool,
    Plus i bought some masseur sandles a couple of months ago... even if i forget to wear them during the day(or they dont go with what im wearing) i make sure i wear them at night for the hour or so im on my feet making hubby's lunch for work and dinner... they seem to give some relief to my aching feet and lower back...
    Hope some of this helps a little babe, its so tough hey...
    i dont have a bub but i have two fur babies, one who is the cheekiest, most energetic mini foxy puppy, whom im constantly rescuing household items from, up and down the stairs and under furniture...

Sounds like a lovely routine Gill. I can only dream of that I did get the fitball out a few weeks ago, but after my daughter nearly cracking her head open a fewtimes playing with it, its gone away again, and it will onyl come out when I need to work through some real contractions at home.
    As for the long hot shower - thats a nono too with Stage 4 restrictions down here. People are now really, really conscious of water use, and we already have a swimming pool that uses heaps of water up.
    I'm just not even a little bit into swimming this time around. I haven't been in our pool all season. A bit slack really..... And getting to the public pool isn't an option at the mo.

:frown:bummer...

Sorry Fi, i really cant help you at the moment, but i hope things get a little easier soon. Could you drop Jenna off to your mums for a few hours to get some relaxing time? Even if you go there for a visit and take your heat packs with you.... Or to a friends place or something? Sorry thats all i can suggest, Hope it eases soon..
    Jenni

Jenni - my mum lives in NZ and runs a very busy business, so she's not much help unfortunately and my DPs mum passed away a few years ago.
    So we dont have much maternal support here.
    DP is great at giving me time to myself, but it just never seems to be when I really need it..... which is usually at 6:30am when she is getting started for the day and he ahs gone to work.
    Oh well - I'll keep thinking.

I'd offer you some help Fi but I am a bit too far to pop over!

I have suffered from quite debilitating back pain so far though I have found a chiro that is helping somewhat. I know most women dotn like taking them but it really is ok to take panadol every 4 hours. My Dr said to me that there are alot of women out there that suffer from things like severe arthritis and have to come off their medication when they get pg and instead take panadol every 4 hours for the whole nine months and it does not affect the baby at all. That made me feel ok to take them once or twice a day when my back was at it's worse...

Have you thought about a TENS machine? I've hired one for labour and have come close to using it for the same sorts of niggles you described Fi. You could have the bits stuck on with the controller around your neck on teh lanyard and just keep it at the lower level rather than using the booster button much. I'm lucky I've only got a fur baby to look after and he's very co-operative about rests with a heat pack. I often take a couple of panadol at night if I hurt so much I can't get comfy to sleep. I'm drinking stacks of water so I figure I'm flushing it through my kidneys anyway.

Hope you get some relief soon!

been trying to rack my brain for you...
    have you tried tiger balm? for more oomph, tiger balm then the heat pack on top...
    you're probably a bit like me at this stage and ready to throw a punch at the next person suggesting something "a la natural"...
    i used to take some pretty hard core pain killers for migraines and back pain so im kinda stuck when it comes to pain relief now too....
    Can i come play in your pool if you're not into it?

Go for it - pool open for all preggie mummas.
    I dont think tiger balm is allowed during pregnancy..... I know Deep heat is a no-no.
    Blackbird - I've probably left my run a little late for the Tens. My SIL has one mounted actually in her back and gets alot of relief from it, and my sister hired one for her first labour, but I'm not sure I have the time to get the pesky thing working.
    Last night I had a couple of panadol before bed and only had to wake DPup twice to give my hip a rub.
    Not long now.......