Thread: Did you take an penicillian -AMOXIL?

Default Did you take an penicillian -AMOXIL?

I have got really the worst cold/flu/virus ever and I was prescribed an antibiotic from my OB. But still not sure if I should take it as my symptoms are only at night and early morning. The QLD weather makes you feel better, during the day. Nice and warm!
    Anyway have you taken antibiotics/penicillin for a flu/cold/virus and were you OK. My hubby is extremely allergic to penicillin and I was wondering if bub has got his gene? Hence the penicillin dilemma?

Sorry for the question, but I don't know what to do?

I have had amoxillin quite a few times in pregnancy.

My dh also has a penecillin allergy, bub was fine

I took amoxycillin earlier in the pregnancy for a tooth infection with no harm done.

But I'd be wondering more about why you are prescribed antibiotics for a cold/flu/virus (unless of course you have an infection along with it, then just ignore me!)?

Maybe you could try an inhaler at night if the day times are good? Like some vicks in a bowl of steamy water in the bedroom. Could you also prop yourself up with loads of pillows so you sleep a bit more upright for a few nights and don't get blocked up over night?
    All the best- not fun being pregnant and sick!

I took amoxycillin at the end of my pregnancy and we were fine. Do what you feel is right.

I also had amoxycillin with this pregnancy. But I have never been so sick. I had brochitis in Feb. and really needed something.

I also am wondering why? for a cold/flu????? They gave me mine because they were worried it would become pnemmonia and there are not a lot of antibiotics that are effective that you can take when pregnant.

I was given Amoxil a few weeks ago for a UTI. Took it for a week. It was prescribed to me by a GP, as I couldn't get onto my OB, as he was away. I told the OB at my last visit and he was fine with it being given to me.

Nic

I've taken it.
    I can understand your concerns re the bub being allergic, why not ask your OB or midwife how much the baby is exposed to the drug (sorry I wish I knew)? It might not be at all, which is true of some things, in which case it wouldn't matter what the baby is allergic to.

The OB will have given you this script because typically there is more concern in late pregnancy with illnesses which affect respiration. You already have less room in there, a flu could turn into pneumonia. It is probably just a precaution. I hope you feel better soon!

~Belinda~ Guest

I took it, I had a knee infection during my pregnancy, yep, I fell over and it was awful, I was 20 weeks pregnant when I fell. Talk about overbalance! Everything was fine here.

I am extremely allergic to penicillin aswell but the Dr told me its not a gene thing cause I asked would that mean DD would be allergic aswell.