Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dilating.... already!

kirbstar23 Guest

Default Dilating.... already!

Hey ladies....

Just wanting some advise... please!

I went to GP's office on Friday with really bad low abdo and back pain. So i couldn't see normal GP.... so saw a random!

He decided that i had a UTI and prescribed antibiotics... I wasn't quite sure about that as i had no symptoms for it!

So chatting to receptionist and she tended to agree with me... she went in and saw my normal GP... She wanted to see me on Saturday morning if the pain hadn't gone.

So I went and saw her after another sleepless night (about the 5th one in a row) she was really concerned. Also re-tested my urine and rang path lab for results of the day befores urine.... and suprise, suprise both clear (as i had assumed). She wrote a referral to the mercy emergency and sent me there straight away.

Hospital took me through straight away, monitiored bub to make sure he was good. Had a look and a feel around and much to the young obs suprise she tells me i'm 1cm dialated at 33.5 weeks. Her eyes nearly popped out of her head!

So basically, has anyone else started dialating yet???? Obs said bub would be here within 2 weeks at the latest!

Please tell all, i would love to hear some stories!

Love Kirby
    xoxo

hi kirby. with my second i was 2cm at 36 weeks and then went to 3cm by 38 weeks. was induced at 38.5 weeks so even though i was dilated reasonably early, i held on until nearly full term. my first, my waters broke at 35 weeks and when i went into the hospital i was 1cm dilated. he was born that day and after a week in special care was absolutely fine and ready to go home.
    from what i have read, 1cm isnt too drastic and you could stay a 1cm for weeks and no more dilation until closer to full term. its probably a bit of a guessing game what your body will do but it would be good if your little bubba stays in a bit longer! this third pregnancy i am 38.5 weeks now and still only 1cm so it just goes to show every pregnancy is different!

best wishes

beccas

Goodness! I have no experience to share with you, but hopefully your baby will stay put a little longer for you! How exciting though, to know that your body has already started to get ready for the birth!

kirbstar23 Guest

Thanks for your replies ladies...

Hubby and I are both really excited about his arrival...

I'm one of those women who shouldn't have children... trouble TTC and constant trouble with pregnancy. So they are bringing all my appointments forward and keeping a very close eye on me.

Obs is more than happy for bub's to be out so that we can focus on my heath. I would be really happy to have him stay in for another week or so! But we'll see.

Love Kirby
    xoxo

Kirby, I know this is your first bub, but in subsequent pregnancies your cervix never is fully closed. You start off around 1cm. With my last pregnancy I was walking around for a few weeks at 3cm. She was born the day before her due date.

Just because you have started to dilate that little bit doesn't mean to say that it's going to keep on happening. Oh and me personally at 34 weeks I wouldn't be having an internal just to check on your cervix either.

Kirby,

as you said you had had difficulty ttc i was wondering if you had had any procedures such as ivf or anything where your cervix had been dilated before like a d&c etc that can cause it to always remain a little bit open and your cervix has probably always been like that but has never been felt before ! i wouldn't worry about it at 34 weeks but of course if you have more pain get it checked out straight away

Melinda

kirbstar23 Guest

Trish.... No offence

But.... if you knew how many internals i have had during this pregnancy you would die!

Like i had posted i have had loads of trouble and have been diagnosed with cervical cancer, back than i was only 17 weeks pregnant! They have done quite a few internals since than. So i'm not quite sure where you are getting your information.... but i will follow what my GP, Obs, Gyno are needing to do and advise me to do!

And i doubt i would be the 1st to have a internal, pretty sure it's common practice for most pregnancies.

paradise lost Guest

kirbstar23 it isn't usually a good idea to have internals during PG as current evidence suggests it increases the risk of preterm labour and infection and doesn't provide benefits over less invasive techniques (like ultrasound) BUT as i'm sure we can all see, your pregnancy is far from usual, given your diagnosis and treatment, and i'm sure Trish was merely unaware of the full story.

My friend had pre-term labour and dilated to 2cm (75% effaced) at 23 weeks and then stayed like that (no bed rest, in Germany, she had a state-appointed home-help twice a week and fortnightly scans to look at her cervix) until 40+3, so it really doesn't mean anything much. I know of one woman who, with her 4th pregnancy, went around dilated to FOUR for 6 WEEKS without going into labour.

Bx

hi kirby, sounds like you have had a tumultuous ride with conception and pregnancy! you will be glad to have that little baby in your arms im sure whether its in a week or a few weeks. sounds like your medical team are on top of everything and doing all the right things to make sure you and the baby are healthy. im sure they are doing internals etc because there is good reason too and not just for the sake of it. i wish you all the best for the arrival of your little one and also for your own health too.

beccas

Kirby, my apologies. You didn't mention any of that in your first post so they are all unknown facts to me. I guess to know the full story actually helps when asking for advice.

Lots of luck

ohh Kirby, how scary! and exciting~!!

Hope bub makes an appearance in the next few weeks for you!! Good luck luv!!

xxx

~Belinda~ Guest

Hey Kirby!

Arrrgghhhhh you are due same date as me remember! Haven't seen you in our thread much either.

Good luck though honey, will be thinking of you!

Keep me posted!

Love Bindy xxxx

kirbstar23 Guest

Thanks again for all the replies...

Yes, Bindy....were due the same day. It just might not happen that way at the moment. Must admit i have been really slack with posting... between this constant pain, my wild sister and finalising all the little things for me to go into hospital. There really isn't much time. Say hi to everyone for me - please!

Must ring the hospital and find out when theu have moved my appointments too anyway... it's so bloody hot here (could just be me too), hubby even joked how funny it would be to go into labour in this heat. Ha ha ha.... don't think i'd find to too funny!

Love Kirby
    xoxo

hey kirby,

hope youre doing ok today!!!

im not loving this heat either, and hubby is laughign at me gettign all puffy!!! take it easy and keep us posted!! good luck!!!

Hi Kirby
    I got no advice, I just want to wish you all the best for your health and the arrival of your little one.

I was 1-2cms dialated for 2 weeks before i had DS2, With DS1 i was 1cm dialated for ages too... It doesnt mean your going into labour early, although sometimes i wish i did!!
    Goodluck with the rest of your pregnancy and with the treatment of your cancer,
    Wishing you all the best and a great labour!!

kirbstar23 Guest

Well guys after another trip to the hospital i've made it to the 2cm mark.... and things are looking great for bubba!

I'm just in that much pain... almost like when you twist the top half of barbie off her body. It's what i imagine it would feel like anyway.

I can't even stand up straight anymore, and pain killers are doing absolutly nothing! They even tried a combination of killers... one that preggo women can't even take (endone), but they made sure bub was fine the whole time otherwise i wasn't going to take it!

Hopefully he's here soon - i think i'm in worse pain now than i will be in labour!

Love Kirby
    xoxo

hey kirby! sorry to hear you are in so much pain!!

Do they think that bubs will come soon??!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast