Thread: does prelabour always occur?

Default does prelabour always occur?

I've been reading lots on here about girls having prelabour for days or weeks before actually going in to labour, but what i was wondering is can you go into labour without having this prelabour stuff first? The reason is I've been having what I assume are braxton hicks but they are soooo mild, like more of a brief uncomfy feeling than anything major or even slightly painful. I know I've got a couple of weeks left, but I thought that the braxton hicks would begin to get stronger by now. Does the lack of action in my uterus mean that I am going to go late? (which i'm kinda expecting) or does it not really matter about this prelabour stuff?

Thanks (hope this makes sense!)

I didn't get prelabour. I never had a single BH contraction that I noticed and then 4 days before my due date I had a huge show and got period type lower back pains. Thinking I was starting prelabour I tried to keep busy but within 3 hours I was in established labour (and probably sooner really but I was convinced it couldn't start that quickly and was trying to be strong with the pain ). My labour was then 17 hours and progressed so well- lack of prelabour didn't stop my uterus from knowing what to do!

Not everyone will have pre-labour, and it doesn't mean anything in regards to how your labour will be. Make the most of it if you don't LOL - its awful because it nearly always happens at night I only had it with two of my pgs.

I had no show, nothing at all. I felt "weird" all day previous to the birth and around midnightish felt I needed to pee (but nothing) and 3 1/2 hours later my little man was born, so nope you don't necessarily have prelabour and if I did I didn't notice it. I think about an hour after thinking I needed to pee (got up about 3 times in an hour...lol) I was actually contracting at around 4-5 mins apart! Forgot to say... my waters didn't even break, they did this at the hospital. I felt I needed to push before leaving home, so probably a good thing they hadn't broken..lol oh and didn't tell DH this until after birth