Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Labour

Default Early Labour

I`m assuming I`m in the very early stages of labour, this is what has happened:

10pm - 12.30am - Typical irregular BH`s and baby extremely active and unsettled, can`t sleep.

From 12.30am - 6am - Contractions every 8 - 12 minutes, can`t sleep for the pain - period like cramping radiating from back to front, slight mucous discharge.

Last looked at the clock at 6.15am then woke up at 7.30am - Find my undies are wet, still having contractions every 8 - 12 minutes.

Get up and mucous discharge has slight red blood in it.

Okay so it`s now 11am and I haven`t progressed any further, please tell me this is the beginning and it`s not just false labour, I`m still getting cramping but seem to be able to tolerate it more now I`m up, I`m so tired from only getting just over an hours sleep, I did try to sleep but each time I drifted of through the night a contraction would unsettle me.

Take Care

Dee

certainly sounds like early labour. I'd Ring the labour ward re wet underwear, just in case waters have broken.... and tell them of the slight bloody discharge too.....just so they know. I'd say it won't be long before your little man is here!!

congratulations! cant wait to hear

Ooer Dee, sounds promising....

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Here are two articles to help you and remember that you don't need to make a dash in if you think your water has broken right away - as long as there is no discolouration - otherwise you will be put on the clock. Even with broken waters, they want to induce you or augment you in an hour or two in many cases I have seen, but the thing is, labour is a complex system of hormones and a couple of hours is not enough justice for those hormones to work - it could take up to 10 hours! Especially in a foreign environment where you are feeling nervous and anxious, it's not conducive to labour. You have a chance of a quicker, shorter labour where you feel most comfortable and at ease.

Funny where I have been present in births, the women have been able to go longer without having to go in or further interventions. Even with meconium, they have not rushed to induce / caesar Not suggesting for anyone to do this without advice, but with the right support it is possible. Go in early and the process is often controlled for you if you don't ask, question or let your wishes known. If they are standing there having the discussion with you, then it's not a medical urgency is it?

Early Labour Tips & Suggestions
    Labour Signs - Could I Be In Early Labour?

Pink mucous is good - means the cervix is moving and dilating but remember early labour can be very slow and drawn out, so keep resting, play it down and ignore as much as you can. When you are not coping or if you think something is wrong, then it's time to go in. Active labour does not stop or slow down unless stress is playing a part - but if it was going to keep going, it wouldn't stop. Sounds like you aren't far off anyway hon! Keep positive, rested, and eat some carby foods to get that longer energy...
    Last edited by BellyBelly; July 31st, 2006 at 11:48 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Kirsty77 Guest

Yay Dee....sounds like things are moving!! Goodluck hun. Fingers crossed that you get the birth you want!Go the VBAC!!

I didn't mean go in, just let the midwives know what it happening....

Hi Dee
    It sounds like things are starting. Try to rest as much as you can, if possable get some sleep. I agree with Kelly there is no need to rush of to the hospital unless you are concerned or finding it difficult to cope. Thi stage can last for many hours.
    Fingers crossed for a beautiful birth.

Thanks Girls and Alan.

I haven`t rang the Hospital as yet as I don`t want them to tell me I should be going in, I want my body to be given ample opportunity to try for a VBAC but then I also have no idea when I should go in..

Thanks for those articles Kelly.

I have more mucous coming away, more slightly yellow looking, I`m also feeling quite cold and shivering - reading the article I gather this can be normal??

Yes but then they know and ask you to come in So unless you are happy to say no or just not let it be known... two ways you can do it - I think without pressure is best Brenda Manning (midwife) proof-read the sections in my articles about waters breaking and going in too.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Woo Hoo Dee! You may not make it to August afterall!

Hope all is going well sweetie

The shivering is often associated with stress and anxiety too - so try and have a nice, warm shower / bath to relax - ideally you would have a shower in labour to help with gravity but if stress is a factor and it's early labour, a rest will help here. I'm sure you've read the tips for water breaking so just follow those and you will be fine

GO GEDDEM GIRL!!!! You deserve this VBAC, think positive, focus and see the birth you want... it's okay if something that is of medical urgency comes up, you've worked so hard and researched this and gotten a Doula so I am sure you will feel more at ease if this has to happen - but that doesn't mean you can't hype yourself up for this, talk to your baby and trust your body - you were born to do this...
    Last edited by BellyBelly; July 31st, 2006 at 12:04 PM.
    Kelly xx

Dee - I think you should try and have a sleep, because you will need your energy for what's coming. After the nap - get walking. If its labour that should speed things up. It has done for me every time. Make sure you rest first though because you've had no sleep you poor thing. It might be easier said than done though, with all the excitement

Best of luck, hun and cant wait to hear how you go

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Ooooh Dee, I hope things are well on their way. Good luck hun, I truly hope you get your VBAC

Well I`m still here and still experiencing contractions, yesterday they did slow down to once every 40 - 60 minutes, today they are coming every 20 - 40 minutes with the occasional 12 minute one in between, still leaking know I`m not sure if I`m leaking watery mucous plug or a slow amniotic leak. The contractions are strong enouh to stop me in my tracks so I`m aware of each and every one of them especially if I`mholding Matthew at the time.

I got 5 hours of sleep last night although it was very interupted by contractions so at least I had more then the 1 hr from the night before, I`ve been having terrific pelvis and backache sine 3am this morning, feels like my pelvis is falling apart!!!!!

My Doula has been terrific and tells me that although I may feel like my body isn`t doing anything it will be dilating slowly, she also tells me the next stage should be rather quick.

I just keep thinking how many more days do I have to put up with this? This stage of labour never entered my head, it`s so typical of my body to take the long way around labour!!!!!

Kelly - THank you for your lovely words of support

Take Care

Dee

Oh Dee, im sure it wont be too much longer.

Dee - Praying that it's all going to be nice and quick from here on... Wishing you all the very best and thinking of you lots

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Awwwww Dee I was hoping you wouldn't still be waiting. I too am hoping the next stage whizzes by. Good luck hun.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast