Thread: Epi-No

angelique Guest

Default Epi-No

Hi everyone,

Has anyone used Epi-No and recommend it. My OB said this is the best device for stretching and preventing tearing.

How early can you start using it and can it cause an infection?

xxxoooo

hi,

you don't really need a device to stretch you (the muscles can stretch quite nicely without any help) and a great birth in an upright position or in water will aid a gentle delivery. That's the best way to avoid tearing. The worst thing you can do is birth on the bed. No amount of stretching with a plastic pumping machine can get you through bad positioning with everyone shouting PUSH and forcing your baby uphill.

Lisa

I tend to agree... I've never manually stretched myself and have delivered 2 average sized babies without tearing. I've heard that there are some stretching devices that are actually dangerous.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I agree with sirhokko. The reason tearing is such a big worry for women is not because of the way our bodies were built, but the way we are being made to give birth. Get upright, get into water - I know women birthing 10-11lb babies without a tear at all. They all birthed upright. Yes, you will hear the odd story of a woman tearing when upright, but it's not as common and can depend on the baby's position. Trust your body and save yourself some money in the process
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I alo agree with what everyone else has said.
    2 nights ago we ha a baby 9lb 9oz mum gave birth on hands and knees she had a small graze but no tear or stiches.