Thread: Evening primrose oil

clare076 Guest

Default Evening primrose oil

I have heard that you can take EPO tablets later in pregnancy (36 weeks) to soften the cervix in preparation for labour. Has anyone tried this?
    What I really want to know is, can I still take my RLT?
    I have been taking 6x per day RLT tabs since 28weeks and 2-3 cups of tea per day since 32 weeks.

As you can probably tell, I am desperate not to go over my EDD.

Clare

i ended up inserting the evening primrose oil caps at night for the last few weeks as my midwife had suggested it. i was still drinking rlt too.
    im not sure if it all helped, its always hard to tell if it was going to happen how and when it happened anyway, but i did have victoria on her due date and i had a fast and easy labour with no drugs, no pushing and no tearing.

if you are concerned, i would do a google search and see what comes up
    good luck

Ok.. this maybe TMI.. but do the EPO tablets just dissolve?

I have been suggest using EPo on my legs for eczema would this be safe or sould I avoid EPO till later in the pregnancy?

Sorry to hijack your post 8-[

I wonder why my post has come up 3 times?? How do you delete them I wonder?

yeah they just disolve, it a bit messy when you stand up etc but aparently that way it helps prime and soften the cervix

Thanks Cindy... I will remember that for later on...

clare076 Guest

Cindy
    How many capsules do you insert. I have heard 2, and you should pierce a small hole in the end before inserting them. Is this safe to do from 36 weeks?

Clare

kirsty Guest

Cindy I've fixed up your multiple posts for you.

Thanx Kirsty

I started doing it from about 35 weeks and I was using 2 capsules, I wasnt piercing them though (it gets messy as is) but you have to be really gentle when putting them in as the capsule likes moisture and sometimes sticks to the walls on its way up!! This just doesnt feel great but if you are gentle and keep pushing as high as you can get it it is all good! Just make sure you have been to the toilet etc so you dont get up to many times and leak all down your legs!! I was wearing undies and a pad to bed too just to catch some of the mess.

Good luck girls, lets see if it helps you all out!!!!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I've included information on EPO in the Natural Induction Methods article on the main site.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.