Thread: Extra Thirsty

Default Extra Thirsty

So for the past couple of days i have been really really thirsty.

has anyone experienced this in the last stages of their pregnancy and also does anyone know if it means something?

Hi Ange

Have you been checked for Gestational Diabetes? Thirst is just one of the symptoms of this.

Otherwise, it could just be your body's need for extra fluids... I go through bouts of thirst quite regularly but I drink a lot anyway. Do you normally drink a lot?

Do you have any fluid retention/swelling or are you peeing a lot too? Sorry if TMI..

Give your Ob or MW a ring to ask if you're worried - that's what they're there for!

yep ive been tested for Gestational Diabetes and everything is normal.

It has been extra hot lately so maybe my body needs extra fluids because of the heat.

I found that I was drinking lots when it was really hot in Adelaide recently. Of course I was walking about in the heat. I was drinking 3-4L at least.

THis is a guess but I think your fluid requirements increase in pregnancy, particularly in the later stages - you have extra blood volume to maintain, plus all the other fluids. If as you said it has been hot the thirst is probably your body making sure you get the fluid you need.

If you are really concerned seek a medical opinion.

Hi Ange
    Feeling extra thirsty late in pregnancy is quite normal especially when it is hot. You are carrying a lot more weight around with you causing you to sweat more. You don't say how much fluid you are drinking. I usually advise 2-3 litres a day.

Hi Alan

im probably drinking 3 litres plus a day. I just can't seem to quench the thirst.

Im constantly thirsty

I found what helped me with thirsty times is to find the right drink. Normally I found something with bubbles seemed to quench the thirst better, so maybe mix some fruit juice with soda water. Also in hot weather it does not hurt to have some sports drink (try and find a low sugar one, not a caffiene one), I found that helpful to quench the thirst better than straight water at times.

Hi Ange,

It's probably perfectly fine but I had Gestational Diabetes and this was definitely one of the strongest symptoms so even though you have been checked I would definitely mention it to your hospital they may want to due another test because it can start after the test is done. Goodluck with everything

Hi Ange,

I had the test and all was fine but am finding that I am constantly thirsty lately. Not sure how much I drink in a day but it must be several litres of water - I am constantly drinking - all day every day....except for the half of the day I spend in the loo as a result!

Same here - Thirsty all the time, but definately no problem with GD.

I think its most likely the body just gearing up for birth - Gotta keep the fluids up so that everything is moving along as it should!