Thread: Fluid leak?

Default Fluid leak?

Does anyone know, if membranes leak, is it always a gush or does sometimes you have a little leak over a period of days?

I have been feeling this slight leak occasionally over the past few days- does not feel like I am peeing myself. Does not smell like urine- kinda smells neutral or like the panty liner! Today I have soaked my panty liner without even realising.
    Should I mention it to my ob on Thursday, or would it sound stupid, cause I am just peeing myself?

Advice appreciated

Hey Hawksey,
    It's not necesarily a gush of water! It can leak! It just depends where the membranes rupture. You're caretaker can check it quite easily with a swab or something I think! Call them, cause you're supposed to give birth within 24 hours after your membranes rupture, due to the risk of infection!

Good luck!

Hawksey, i had so much CM discharge towards the end of my pregnancy that i would often soak a panty liner. I too wondered if it was my 'waters'. But no, just normal discharge.
    I am pretty sure if it was your membranes, the fluid would smell a little like semen. But there is no such thing as a stupid wuestion, so i would always ask! HTH

Hawksey, sounds like your waters are leaking...looks like your little one might be on it's way....I had my membranes leak for two days before I went to the hospital to check it out and they made me stay when they tested it, then the dr went off at me for waiting for so long . I was induced the next morning and my little monkey was born the day after!!

Hi Hawksey
    It could be a couple of things. Urine. CM. Or your waters. If you leak more when you cough, sneeze, then there is a good chance that it is your waters leaking or that it is urine. If you are concerned then I would suggest that you put a pad on or use a liner then go to the hospital. They can test any fluid that is on the pad/liner to see if it is your waters. If your leak is small then there is no need to go to the hospital tonight. Women ofetn describe the smell of their water as smelling a little like semen.

Thanks for all the information. I have not had any more tonight, and no increase in BH or pains. Will see what the morning holds!

not long to go now Hawsky! pop in and give us an update

both of my pregnancys labour was triggered off by ruptured membranes.

The first time it was at 32weeks and i had no idea what it was (thought i was peeing myself)
    took 48hrs to go to hospital once i was checked i was admitted and on bed rest (because you are increased risk for infection once ruptured and internally checked) I delivered 5 days later

the secnd time i had ruptured membranes at 38weeks but labour never kicked in and had a c/s 2 days later. the second time around i knew what it was straight away.

the smell of it is kinda sweet, not a nice sweet though...
    its usually clear not yellowish like urine
    it happens at irregular times like when walking or when u stand from sitting, not when you need to go to the toilet.

Update on me,
    well I saw midwife/ob on Thurs morning. Was having strong tightening across whole belly constantly with lower pelvic strong period like pains and lower back pain. Felt really nauseated too. Midwife said- yep you are in labour, you will have this baby today.
    Ob did an internal said I was 2cm dilated, waters intact,station -2 I think. early early labour, he sent me to the hospital (next door) for a CTG- bub all good, I had two 'real' contractions while on monitor. Main prob was my BP started at 170/98, and still at 150/95 when I went home. (ob said he thought anxiety and not to worry) Again the midwifes said go home, relax we will see you later today you are in labour.

Anyway I am still here. That day i had a bloody show, pains continued sporadically but no progression, went back Friday for a BP check, still 140/95.

They come and go, I feel like its still prelabour- but they all told me it was labour, but why is nothing else happening?
    Confused now. Oh have not had any more leaks that I have noticed though!

Hi Hawksey
    Things will happen soon. What is happening now is a good sign. Your body is having a little practice before it gets into the real thing.

Thanks Alan,
    So its normal for a little stop/start time?
    If the midwifes hadnt told me I was in labour I would have presumed I was in pre-labour and just chilled! I know in a week (or so) I will look back and it will seem clear. But its frustrating now!

Hi! I thought my waters were leaking too when I noticed it was quite wet downstairs - of course got all excited and realised it wasn't! that went on for 4 days and then my waters did break - and boy did they gush!!!!!!! some girls do just leak though so who knows! It sounds like it could be soon for you so good luck!!! I'm so excited for you. I love the memory of giving birth (not the pain) but the excitement and I know how excitng ( and nerveracking) it is for you

Hi Hawksey
    It is possable that you were in labour. Sometimes labour can start and stop. I cant say when labour will really start for you but if I were to guess I would say that I would not expect you to go past your due date.

good lukc hawksey everything is happening which is preparing your body for the birth
    can't wait to hear the news when your baby arrives safely!