Thread: Further along!?!?

Exclamation Further along!?!?

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone can help me or someone was been through the same thing.
    I had my 34 wk antinatal visit on thursday & apparently my bub if measuring around 37 -38 wks & I also have polyhydominos (extra fluid around the baby)!!!!! The doctor has booked me a growth u/s and then i go back to see him to 'discuss my options' which will be on the 10th. Im a little concerned because by that stage i will (well i thought) will be 37wks but from what theyve told me bub will be 39-40wks?! He is concerned bub will be to big to deliver naturally which sucks coz i really wanted to avoid a c/s. So now i just have to wait i guess. Has anyone else had this??????? I dont even know my EDD now & i dont know what is going to happen? any feedback would be much appreciated

THanks

Your baby isn't measuring that big, your uterus is, which wouldn't be uncommon if you have a lot of fluid in there. It is entirely possible that your dates could be out, but they would be out by a lot, and it would have had you conceive in your previous cycle. To say baby would to too big for your to birth naturally is a load of bull**** (sorry to sound crass but statements like this from Obs really bug the heck out of me). I assume this is your first baby? If it is, you don't know the full potential of your pelvis until you give birth and for him to say otherwise before hand is ludicrous. If you want to avoid a c/s, you have to get through to your Ob that you don't want one and would like to have a vaginal and or natural birth.

Here are some articles you might find interesting;
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...nown-and-loved
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...rint-for-labor
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...s-big-baby-cpd
    You should also grab yourself a copy of the pink kit - click the on the vagina in my signature.

ETA - I just read up on the polyhydramios and there is a chance that you may have to give birth earlier anyway if it turns out that baby is better out than in, regardless of the baby's size.
    Last edited by Trillian; March 29th, 2008 at 12:40 PM.

Exclamation

Yeah i thought it was becoz of the fluid too but i had a scan at 31wks & bub measured around 33.5wks(I forgot to add that to my post). Its all very confusing...

Hi- recently had same issues (well measurement issues that is)

I posted a thread and all replys came back as not to go my Fudus measurements...

Had an US last week and bubs measurements are only few days out from my EDD....

Hope all goes well for you US and try not to stress... Not much you can do if bubs is bigger.... i'm sure things will be fine....

Growth scans are notoriously inaccurate to measure size of bubs. You can get different results based on who does the scan (no two scans by two different people will be the same), whether baby has a full tummy or not and it could just be that your baby has long legs (considering that measurements used to estimate weight in-utero are based on the femur length).

I measured a week further ahead going by my fundus measurements as well. These measurements arent very accurate at all and all doctors measure differently. Even the ultrasound you get is not that accurate. The very first ultrasound you have is the most accurate as far as dates are concerned. My bub ended up being 10 pound 6 oz and 60 cm long. My doctor never once said he was going to be big even though I was huge!! I attempted to have him naturally but he was trying to come out with his hand up near his face and was stressing so in the end the best decision was to have an emergency caesar. The doctor later told me that if he hadnt of been coming out in a difficult position that I would have been able to have him naturally and that even being big he still would have fitted. Dont worry about it, I am sure it will all work out for the best. Go with what you think is best!

Hi there!
    I agree with the girls here, the fundal measurements they use aren't accurate, to the point where lots of Dr's and M/W don't even use them anymore! lol Try not to worry too much...
    Oh and don't let the Doctors talk you into an unnecessary c/s - your baby will very rarely be "too big"...Go and check out the thread Kelly put up the other day http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/labo...es-nudity.html
    Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy too!
    Last edited by LimeSlice; March 29th, 2008 at 02:24 PM.

At my aptmt on the 25th I was measuring 2 weeks ahead. Im not worried by it and neither was my Dr. I have been spot on every other visit too.

I too was another one that from 32 weeks measured 2-3 weeks ahead of my dates! As it turned out she was induced at 40 + 10 and I still debate that the two of us were not ready for her to come out because we ended up in a c/s... The measurements they do and even the ultrasounds can be completely off the mark hun, so many people have been told they will have a big baby and they end up with a 6 or 7 pounder.
    Izzy was 8lb 13oz so not huge but a bigger bub I guess.
    The link Limeslice has posted is great and as someone mentioned, our bodies very rearely grow a baby that is too big for us to birth! Don't feel pressured into anything you don't feel comfortable with, do you research and take the articles with you to show the Dr!
    Good luck hun!

Hi, do you have a fair idea of when you conceived? Did you have a dating scan at around 7 weeks? If so, the earlier scans are the most accurate for dating a pregnancy so I would go by that EDD. As the others have said, fundus measurements are inaccurate and even if your next scan does show bub to be slightly bigger it may not be that your bub is older at all - also scans at this stage of preg must allow for a 20% variance. I would hate to think your OB might be unnecessarily scaring you into needing to be induced or have a caesar due to bubs so called big size.
    Last edited by ~mamaspice~; March 29th, 2008 at 03:50 PM.

Hi baby_gurl, I just realised you had two threads about this, so I have merged them for you into the one thread.

I am in exactly the same position as you. I was 36 weeks and had a growth scan done because i was measuring 4 weeks bigger then what i was. The growth scan came back as my baby being the size of a 39.5week baby but they did not change my due date currently at 14/04/2008. I have worked out when my last period was and going by that I should be due any where between the 08/04/2008 and the 14/04/2008 so the scans are not accurate by any means.

My baby's HC was measruing at 37cm and the weight 7lb 8 ounces but even the midwife said that may not be accurate.