Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glucose Test Q

Default Glucose Test Q

Ok, here is another glucose test question...

I am having my test on Wednesday. On the slip of paper it says to have breakfast and then fast for 2 hours. I dont know how I am going to manage this as I am constantly hungry and if I dont eat, I start feeling really hungry.

I am planning to have a really really big breakfast (bacon and eggs maybe). Would it be OK to have a big breakfast beforehand or shall I still to my normal breakfast? And can I eat ANYTHING if I to get hungry and start feeling sick?

TIA

I would suggest eating a well balanced meal such as some fruit, carbs and protein. Too much fat can be just as bad as too much sugar - and believe me, you don't wanna do that test twice if you can avoid it lol

Ahh good point. And come to think of it, I dont particularily like bacon and eggs at the moment!

So I guess I will just stick to my Just Right cereal and have some fruit and yohgurt afterwards?

I would stick as close to your normal breakfast as possible but maybe have some low GI foods (such as multigrain toast and apples). Take something along with you that you can eat as soon as they give you the ok to eat. It bites (pardon the pun ) having to fast when you're PG doesn't it?

MG - It sure does!! I think I could manage fasting a hour, maybe, but not 2 hours!

Thanks guys. I am happy I have asked this Q cause I wouldnt want to do the test again!

Nope you have to fast overnight for the second one!

Ngala,

Someone I know just did the test and she highly recommended having toast for brekky. She had cereal and she said it wasnt the best choice, so the toast followed by some apples sounds like a good choice. I find out this week when I have to have mine - so im getting all the info I can!

When i did mine I was told to eat what I would normally have for breakfast, because the idea is to check how u r processing the glucose on a "normal" day.

I was never told to fast either just eat as normal but not sugary things. weird.

Ellie

i had to fast for 12hours for mine glucose test?
    Only ever had the one test as well (i assume cause it came back all good)
    Why did i have to fast for so long, but others only a couple of hours?

I think its because there are two different tests. The one hour Glucose Screen. Which doesnt really involve fasting. But a lot of places are different

I have to have the 2 hour Glucose Tolerance Test. I fast for 8 hours prior to the test, and can have heaps of water. This one determines how well your body deals with Glucose I think. You still go in have blood taken, drink stuff, then after an hour have blood taken, and then at 2 hours have blood taken. I think from what I remember. I know it involves 2 too many needles lol!

WOW! How'd you handle that? I think my stomach would have eatten itself up. I think maybe you had to fast for so long because you had the longer test?? I am not too sure but I think I read somewhere that there is one test that goes for an hour and there is another, if you fail the first one, that goes for longer? Not too sure tho! How long did the test take for you?

The easier test takes an hour. You go in drink the fizzy drink. Then get your blood taken after one hour. If your reading comes back too high then you get sent for the 2 hour test. This happened in my first pregnancy, but was all good and I have never had it.

This time due to my high BMI p(pleasant way of saying as I am overweight!) they have automatically ordered the 2 hour test. I reckon I will be knocking on the door at 8.40am. I know for sure I will be definitely shouting myself a special lunch that day!!

Ngala, I had my test this morning. Avoid any fruit for 24 hours prior! The natural sugars in the fruit can push up your sugar levels.

While I was waiting my hour women were turning up, having had no brekky. They were sent by the pathology people to have a piece of toast with nothing sugary on it and then told to come back. Apparently you need something in your stomach to help absorb the drink because it can make you feel quite nauseated.

Just have plaint toast, avoid sugary food in the 24 hours prior to the test.

I hope this helps

I had my test today.
    I was told nothing!!! lol
    Noone mentioned eating before hand, or not eating certain foods or anything. And no fasting at all!
    Weird. I had some dry biccies because I had already had my spew for the day (sorry tmi). It wasn't the most pleasant tasting, but it wasn't the worst thing i've ever had. I had to drink the 'stuff' in 10 minutes, and then have blood taken 1 hour later.

I thought the GTT was for 3 hours??? not just 2? I hope I dont require the next one but 2 hours def sounds better than 3!!!

Nope GTT is only 2 hours.

There are tttwo tests. The Glucose Challenge which is the short one and the Glucose Tolerance Test which requires longer fasting. If you do the GTT you usually fast overnight and have the appt first thing

Quote Originally Posted by Ngala View Post
    WOW! How'd you handle that? I think my stomach would have eatten itself up. I think maybe you had to fast for so long because you had the longer test?? I am not too sure but I think I read somewhere that there is one test that goes for an hour and there is another, if you fail the first one, that goes for longer? Not too sure tho! How long did the test take for you?
    I had to fast after 8pm, and was in at the pathology (SJOG) at 8.30 the next morning. It wasnt that bad, as still had dinner and everything.
    But, they take bloods, give you your drink, then bloods again 1 hour later, and then again 1 hour after that - so 2 hours waiting. And, was told you have to wait at the pathology, not allowed to go anywhere - so, a long 2 hours.

Obs didnt mention anything to me about having the 1hour test - didnt really know that was an option. I wonder if it was my weight, or just the way he operates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast