Thread: Having your waters broken

Akeesha Guest

Default Having your waters broken

I am not too concerned right at this minute but just for furture reference I am just wanting to know.

What is the success rate of going into labour naturally after having your waters broken by the doctor?
    Is it more common to need further intervention afterwards or is it more common to go into labour afterwards..say within 24 hours?

I am attempting VBAC with this birth and if i go over I am only allowed to go over 2 weeks which is probably all I will be able to take anyway for a few reasons.
    My doctor will not use any other method of induction apart from ARM because he feels it is too dangerous. I just wondered, if it did happen to come to that (and fingers crossed it doesnt) then what are my chances of going into labour. Bearing in mind I will be about 2 weeks overdue.

TIA
    Lisa

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Lisa, some hospitals are successfully doing balloon inductions for VBAC women, but some still have no idea what it is, so you will have to investigate and try and see if someone can do it for you as a non-drug way of inducing you.

Once your waters are broken, you will go into labour one way or the other - if you don't progress (unlikely but possible) then you will have a caesar if the doctor is unhappy with the water being broken so long or no progress - I think most hospitals don't like waters broken longer than 12-24 hours these days.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Akeesha Guest

Yeah I have already discussed the option of being left for 24 hours and then if nothing happens after that then it will be a c/s.

See they cannot do anything else for me. No oxytocin or gel or anything. Simply just breaking the waters. I didnt know how successful that one action was.

I might google the balloon thing and see what I can find.
    I hopefully won't need it though.

I tell you what though..i need something. I am so depressed today I cant even function. I dont want to move off the couch and I cant be bothered eating or doing anything. I dont want to do any housework and thinking about what I need to do is making me so mad. I hate feeling this way. It bloody sux! I hope this stops when I have had the baby otherwise I am heading for PND!

Thanks

Lisa

My waters broke naturally rather than being broken artificially but I didn't go into labour for a while. My hospital started giving me IV antibiotics 12 hours after my waters broke and with the ABs they were going to give me about 72hrs to go into labour naturally before inducing me with the drip. I went into labour about 48 hrs after my waters broke but I ended up being augmented anyway.

Lisa,

In order for him to break your waters, your cervix needs to be slightly open. Do you know if it is yet? Might be worth getting onto Evening Primrose Oil, the details are on the main site in the natural induction methods page in the birth section. I'm sure breaking your waters will help you get into labour, you're almost at your due date anyway so it's not as if it's being done really early. It can take some time to kick in though, so try and be as upright and active as possible for that baby to come down, as I mentioned, going up stairs and walking is great but I don't know if that will be helpful to you with the problems you have with your pelvis - if it's going to be painful to even move Just try and be upright, maybe leaning into a beanbag or something, as long as you are up - not too far to counteract gravity - say around 45 degrees.

I'm sorry you are feeling low sweety, can you do anything to distract yourself? Can anyone come over and be with you? Or even still, hire a doula and she can give you a nice massage and help about the house
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Akeesha Guest

Thanks Kelly,

I have no idea re the cervix as my doc has not done a single internal since I have been pg anyway. I assume he will only do one if I go over to assess the best thing to do.

I was thinking of doing the whole EPO thing but feel funny about putting them in. How many do i put in over the course of a day or is it one at night? Whats teh best way to go about it?

I amnot sure what you mean about the pelvis probelms but maybe you have me mixed up with someone else. The only pelvis issue I had was the fact that the doc was initially concerned it was small but isnt worried now. I don't have any pain issue with it.

I wish I wasnt feeling so dam low. It's driving me batty as I cant think of anything that doesnt make me angry or really sad.

I am about to go out now but only for a short time. Gotta get a birthday pressie for DD's friend whose party is tomorrow and I had totally forgotten about it. Apart from that it's back to the old boring drawing board!
    I thought about going to a friends house but the only ones who arent at work I dont feel like being around. You know how you just know they will not make you feel any better even though they will try. It's like you know what they say will annoy you cos of the mood you are in.

Anyway there are probably worse things I guess.

I may not cheer up much but it can't get much worse.

Thanks again

Lisa
    (sorry to be so depressing)

Lisa,

Sorry if I mixed you up with someone else, I thought you had some pelvic pain but ignore me on that! But try walking and stairs as I mentioned but don't wear yourself out - both will help.

With EPO, you just insert them to the cervix at night, so you are lying down before sleeping. You might like to wear a pad in case of any dribbles! But it is very good and safe for VBAC women.

I hope things look up, I was really miserable with my first - I had back problems and wanted to get out but I couldn't and like you, those I could visit I didn't really want to, I just had no-one close enough.

Hang in there, this baby is coming soon! *hugs*
    Kelly xx

Akeesha Guest

Kelly I dont want to sound too stupid here but just wanted to ask one more thing re the EPO.

Now when I insert them do I do it like I am putting in a tampon and just push it up as far as I can?
    Sorry for the tmi but I really am not sure.

I bought some before so I am ready to go.

And just the one tab? Do I take more during the day orally as well to help out?

Thanks
    Lisa

As per the article: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...uction-methods

3. Evening Primrose Oil (EPO)
    Evening Primrose Oil is another ‘cervix ripening’ method. EPO helps by imitating prostaglandin can be used orally and/or internally.

A usual oral dosage is 2-3 of 500mg capsules daily from 36 weeks. If you are taking EPO internally, you can do this from 36 weeks – simply insert 2-3 capsules directly to the cervix before bed. You might like to wear a pad or liner as it can get messy when you get up.
    Kelly xx

I had my waters broken by my OB when I was in labour. I think from memory I was having mild contractions for a few hours. I was so worry it was going to hurt but it didn't. Honestly I would'n't have known he was doing it other than him telling me he was going to. Then all of a sudden I felt this gush of warm liquid come out. (sorry TMI)

I went on to have a natural delivery, all I had to have was an epitisomy, which again I didn't feel as he numbed me there!!

I hope everything goes well with your labour.

Akeesha Guest

Well Jillian lets hope that if they need to break my waters at all then thats how it unfolds for me!!!

That'd be great.

Hope your precious little Imogen is doing well

Lisa