Thread: Hiccups

Lillypilly Guest

Default Hiccups

Hi

I am currently 34 weeks pregnant with a baby that gets the hiccups 3 to 4 times a day. Sometimes the hiccups last up to 10 minutes.

Is this normal? The baby is still very active and has been all throughout my pregnancy. I was talking to my SIL about it and see thought it was very odd. She is due two weeks after me and says she hasn't ever felt her baby get the hiccups.

I think they are hiccups because it feels like a very regular and steady movement which I can feel down quite low (the baby is head down). Sometimes the hiccups also feel like they are "full body" and I can feel little legs and arms going everywhere.

Cheers Lillypilly

From what I have read, its perfectly normal! I have had them twice and DH agreed it felt like hiccups. I know a lot of girls in my belly buddies thread have had the bubby hiccups regularly!

Lillypilly - sounds very normal to me! Towards the end of my pg with DD she would get the hiccups at least once a day, sometimes they felt quite violent! Even after she was born she would still regularly get the hiccups
    All the best with your upcoming birth

When my ob did a scan at my 10 week appt, we could see the baby had hiccups on the screen, little jerking movements. At that stage I couldn't feel anything though. Apparently it's normal.

With my second son, he got the hiccups about 5-6 time a day everyday from about 30 weeks or so. 28 weeks with my third son he gets the hiccups once every few days or so. I have heard that hiccups are a sign of having a healthy baby.

Yep its normal. My bub gets the hiccups a few times a day. I was also told that hiccups are a sign of a healthy baby.

Yep, normal! Euan got the hiccups constantly towards the latter stage of my pregnancy, and still gets them now. It helps them to strengthen their lungs. I was being CTG monitored at one point (at 37 weeks) and his heart was racing because he had just had the hiccups - the midwife likened it to running a marathon for them. Not long after they stopped his heartrate went back to normal.

He still gets them, almost after every feed.

Hi Lillypilly, don't stress, i'm 33wks and bubba has been having hiccups several times a day since about the 24wk mark. It freaked me out at first as i feared the worst, but the midwife was totally cool with it, said it's common and a good sign. Bubba's lungs are developing and just swallowing down the wrong tube! She said it won't do her (am having a girl!) any harm, it can just get a little uncomfortable for us given it's our belly their jumping around in! I'm trying to enjoy them as a sign that bubs is doing well.

yep..... hiccups.... they can be sooooo annoying sometimes
    Bubbles is getting them a couple of times a day some days... then nothing... then more hiccups
    The worst time is when you are trying to get to sleep!!

Good luck and dont worry
    xo

I had them all the time with DS.. he would just hiccup all day long, especially after I had eaten which is strange cos it has nothing to do with it!!! Like all the other girls have said, its really normal and I was told about the sign of a healthy baby too. :-)

my DD used to get them EVERY single night like clockwork just as I was lying down to go to bed (as well as at other, random times during the day). It's completely normal - so frustrating when you're trying to sleep though - it's like water torture or something - just lying there waiting for the next one...

Absolutely normal! DS would constantly get the hiccups, even after he was born he got them very frequently, he never seemed bothered by them!