Thread: Induction

maggie Guest

Default Induction

HI, i am 39 weeks and 3days today ia m due on friday

had my obs appt today, baby is 3/5 engaged, and could come any day, i have had no bloody show though, but obs said this can come during labour(not sure??) anyhow, he said of i have not had bubs by 6days overdue, they will look at inducing me.. What time frame has everyone been induced in the past

Baby is measuring spot on,and my blood pressure is normal, so my obs is happy to wait another week, but wow my DH & I are just so anxious to meet this little one

After reading information and discussing with friends who have had them, I asked for induction to be done at the latest date possible. Since most pregnancies are within 38-42 weeks as full term. I was given the option for a 42 weeks induction. At that point Matilda wasn't engaged at all & we postponed induction a few more days. I know its really hard to wait to meet your little bub, but at the same time maybe read some stories about inductions. Here is an article on the main site about inductions, and here is another article on natural induction methods.

There have been some successful inductions were women have good experiences. Unfortunately mine was a bad one & I will not be induced this time. I would honestly say try for some natural induction methods first. I don't like to scare, but for me it went from having niggling period type pain from the gel to being hit by a mac truck within 5 minutes of having the drip in my arm. The more informed you become about the types of induction the better chance you have of having a positive birth experience.

Hugs before drugs The gel they use to induce at hospitals has similar chemicals in it to male semen, so DTD!!! That will help ripen the cervix & prepare your body.

Acupuncture has a fantastic success rate. I am definately going to be trying acupuncture from your point. Or Bowen massage.

our pre-natal classes said the norm for them was around 10 days over your due date..

Kirsty77 Guest

I was induced with Gemma when she was exactly 7 days overdue. They said they do them normally after 10 days though.

I am 4 days overdue today and will be induced on Wednesday night when I am 6 days overdue.. My bubs is 2/5 engaged and I had internal done last Wednesday and was 1cm dialated and still no show no waters breaking and no signs of natural labour. My OB doesnt want me to go more than 7 days overdue due to my weight issue and health of baby.. Did your ob do an internal?

Bel
    xxx

Our hospital has a policy of not before 10d over unless there are other health issues with mums or bubs.
    I was induced at 11d over, and it all went how an induction is supposed to go I guess. Not really a good story, but not a shocking one either I guess.

skorpy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by *Belle*
    I am 4 days overdue today and will be induced on Wednesday night when I am 6 days overdue.. My bubs is 2/5 engaged and I had internal done last Wednesday and was 1cm dialated and still no show no waters breaking and no signs of natural labour. My OB doesnt want me to go more than 7 days overdue due to my weight issue and health of baby.. Did your ob do an internal?

Bel
    xxx
    We will be induced on the same day then Belle..I have to go in the morning at 8am.Even though I am not overdue,I will be 38 weeks.was Induced at 39 weeks with my last pregnancy.My first pregnancy I was only 2 days overdue and went into labour naturally.My niece is 42 weeks and 2 days overdue,She went in to be Induced last friday and was there all day and still nothing,so was told to go home.She is going back in today.

Babies are considered full term from 37 weeks and most woman go into labour between 37 and 42 weeks of pregnancy. I have been 3/5 Engaged for a month now,so dont know what I am now.
    Last edited by skorpy; September 11th, 2006 at 06:52 PM.

spreckemily Guest

With my first pregnancy I was 42 weeks and the drs then decided to induce 5 days after that. By the time they induced I was FERAL. My poor husband was nearly in tears I was a total B%^&* to him!!

My daughter still wasn't ready to come out and I and her had a very stressful and difficult childbirth. I will be trying my darndest not to be induced this time around. I have been taking Raspberry Leaf Tablets from Blackmores in preparation and me in my stupidness one day took a castor oil remedy. NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!! I do not recommend it!!!! I had the runs for two days and it still did not work. I have learnt my lesson and am leaving it to Mother Nature.

(Please don't take too long!!!!!!!!)

NewmumLou Guest

Hi all.
    I was 6 days overdue with Joshua and they induced me!

Hi,
    I was induced 9 days over with my first, no dramas with it from first contraction to baby out took 6 hours.

motherduck Guest

HI,
    With my first she came spotainious 1 day over went to hospital 6cm dialated with mild labour pains Doctor broke my waters 2 and half hours later was holding my bubba.
    With number two induced 7days over, 6hours later she was here much more painfull and all over the place, comparing the two births I hope these guys come naturaly.
    But in saying that if the baby needs to come out then you have to do what you have to do.

Hi - Cait was 13 days overdue, she wasn't engaged, three lots gel and 8 hours on the drip didn't move her either. I had an emergency CS when her heart rate dropped.

I have a friend who swears by the castol oil, I couldn't bring myself to drink it though.

maggie Guest

Thanks guys well still no labour signs.. even if i was to lose my plus i would be happy . but i am still getting the period like pains, which i have been getting now for over a week, which are uncomfortbale, but expect it all to be normal pre labour signs

No , who ever asked, my Obs is yet to do an external, on monday he did a scan to check to see how much amniotic fluid was around bubs, and there was heaps, and bubs seemed very happy & content in there

Oh well, i will just keep waiting.. thanks again

Maggie

All the best when you see your OB ... Hope it all goes well, ask for a stretch and sweep to see if you can get things going? I was 1cm dialated before she did my stretch and sweep and im still waiting.. but being induced tonight by the gel... lets hope I dont need the drip! thanks for posting re inducing it has been good to read.

Bel
    xxx

i was 10 days over. had a reaction to the gel and babys heart rate halfed, luckily they got it back up. couldnt have anymore doses of gel though. they did a stretch and sweep, the next day broke my waters and pains were coming unnaturally fast and hard. i ended up having an epidural, synto drip and vacuum extraction,plus internal tearing. it wasnt the most perfect labour, but i was happy with it in the end. try not to have high expectations, go with the flow and be open to suggestions. when you get your baby it wont matter how you got it.

tan1979 Guest

I was induced at 7 days over, they normally wait until 10 days but my blood pressure had risen and Rhys hadn't engaged at all prior to me being induced. I had the gel, nothing happened for over 7 hours, I was due to get another dose the next day but things started on their own within the next couple of hours. Contractions started mildly and picked up fairly quickly. I only had a half dose of pethadine, an 81/2 hour labour and mild tearing so my experience was a good one compared to others. I guess ideally it is better to let things start on their own, even if the patience is eating you up! Good luck, I hope all goes well for you.