Thread: Keeping BP down without meds

Default Keeping BP down without meds

Does anyone know if there are methods other than medication to help lower your BP in late PG?

Recently I was reading about essential oils during labour and it mentioned that one of the properties of essential oils like lavender & geranium is that they can lower blood pressure. It got me wondering if they could also be of benefit in late PG if high BP is an issue and if there were other things that may help?? Anyone tried anything like this?

When I was PG with Kynan my BP shot up at 37w and I was put on meds (which didn't help much). I had no protein present or swelling and was just having monitoring done every few days but then Kynan stopped moving and practising his breathing so I was induced as they were concerned that my high BP was affecting him and didn't want him going into distress. Whilst it wasn't a bad experience I'd still like to avoid it this time if possible & want to be prepared should it look something similar might occur.

Sorry, I can't help - I'm currently having the opposite problem with fairly low BP 95/55 yesterday which was up a bit from the last time checked. Hopefully someone can help though.

Yes lavender oil can be beneficial.
    In fact it is one we are NOT allowed to use when a women has an epidural because an epidural lowers your blood pressure, this combined with the effects of Lavender can lower your BP too much!
    You can burn it, use it in masssage oil...any excuse for a massage is a good one and massage itself can be good for lowering BP . You can also put a few drops in a nicewarm bath.
    Cucumber is meant to help...not sure how.
    Also eliminate caffiene.
    Good luck

A few other things you should avoid or reduce
    Alcohol
    Cigarettes
    Salt
    Chockolate
    Coca Cola
    Or any form of caffeine

Yeah I know all the good stuff LOL

Funny thing - I was just reading about this in my birth book this morning.

It suggests:
    • Eating lots of fresh fruit and veges (e.g. cucumbers, grapes, celery and apples), and plenty of protein, carbohydrates and foods rich in potassium, magnesium and calcium.
    • Drinking 8 glasses of water a day (this also improves swelling)
    • Supplementing with Vit E, B6, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and/or zinc. Check with your caregiver.
    • Resting, stopping work or getting extra help to look after other children. This is essential. You may use relaxation techniques to reduce stress and anxiety.
    • Herbal remedies include chamomile, nettle, lime flowers, raspberry leaf or dandelion teas, tinctures with cramp bark, black haw and nettle. Eating flaxseed or deep-sea fish oils. Consult your herbalist.
    • Homeopathic or bach flower remedies.
    The book is Birth by Catherine Price and Sandra Robinson.

HTH

Thanks for all the info, everyone!! Will have to print it out and keep it handy JIC!

i suffer from high BP due to anxiety though i dont even feel anxios i have a suspicion it is just "white coat" hypertension and that maybe i just feel anxios about having my BP taken LOL
    what everyone else has said sounds good i have heard eating a cucumber every day is supposed to be very good and also been told to drink oat straw tea ( sounds gross) but apparrently it is PG safe and you can feel it working straight away