Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - a question about shaving/waxing... and hygiene

Red face Ladies - a question about shaving/waxing... and hygiene

Ok, so... I haven't been able to see over my belly in a while, and so I've ended up leaving certain areas a little unkept (ok ok my motto is if I can't see it its not my problem ). DP has tidied up the area once or twice but I just don't like someone else having a go at that area with a razor!

Anyway, I keep it all nice and clean (I'm not new to being au naturale!), but have been getting thrush A LOT. Ever since I had to take antibiotics for a tooth infection (about 19ish weeks) actually. Which is around the same time I stopped shaving once a week, and have probably shaved about 4 times since then.

Now I suspect (thanks to some help from BB ladies lol) I have a UTI.

Anyway was talking to mum about it, as you do, and she asked if I was hairless (i laughed and asked if she'd actually been pregnant lol) and when I said no said thats why i was getting thrush and the possible UTI.

Is this true? I suspect it isn't. But I'm just wondering... Does hair have any impact (I mean, I imagine it would if I didn't keep myself nice and clean)? I always thought having hair was better than being bald...

Hmm, another thought just came to me... I've been making sure it is really clean... could that have something to do with it? You know, over-cleaning or something.

Bah I don't know! What do you all think? Has hair got anything to do with it or is it just a pregnancy thing, simple as that?

i think you will find it is a combination of pregnancy, antibiotics and soap

I doubt hair causes thush and UTI's. I got thrush once during my pregnancy with DS and never with DD and i've never gone 'bald'. Not sure about over cleaning? I would think that would more cause excema than thrush but it might cause a UTI if got soap in there i'd imagine. Although im no doctor so i could be talking complete rubbish lol.

Yup I'd agree with Tan.
    I don't suffer from thrush (knock on wood) and uh... mine is ... uh.... a lot ... well.. hidden (to be polite!!) LOL

I just make sure I change my undies twice a day (cos of a bit more discharge) and that they are plain cotton ones so the "area" can breathe

Thrush thrives in warm dark areas, so I'd say it's more that you're not drying thoroughly enough before putting your underwear back on, you're underwear is too tight & causing sweating or the normal discharge at this point in pregnancy is causing it. If you're wearing liners/pads make sure you change them regularly so there's no dampness there because that's where the thrush will grow.

Ive been far from bare both babies and only ever got thrush with Jasmine. I think more over cleaning and dampness to be the cause then having hair there!

Hi Leesha

I get thrush easily from antibiotics- you can get a ProBiotic tablet to help with your natural floura (or fauna.. lol one of the two!!) And i have been- grooming occassionally!!lol Just trimming not bald though.

Definately follow all the good advice here too- change undies regularly- dry well and wah- but maybe dont use body wash- i have been getting into bubs nappy rash cleanser and cream!! It seems to be helping!!!

Good luck and i hope your discomfort ends soon xoxo

I don't think it's the hair either. It's not what nature gives you that causes the problem LOL! As others have said, wear cotton underwear, and if you use panty liners buy the breathable ones. Also, you should eat natural yoghurt while on abs to help reduce the risk of thrush or take probiotics.

I couldn't see "down there" either and was planning to clean up before birth. But DS2 arrived too early and boy did I get a shock when I had him and could see the jungle that was there. It was embarrassing to think that the ob and mw had seen that - I mean hello, move over Amazon!! But I didn't have thrush.

Ive had thrush a few times too. I usually get it after DTD, or if I've had a particularly bad diet for a few days, like too much sugary food, or carbs-bread pasta.....For you I'd say it's soap and the antibiotics which has triggered it. Your hair is actually there to keep nasties out, not make it worse, kwim? I can't see my hoohaa either, haven't been able to for months now, LOL! I change my undies twice a day and only wash with soap every two days, and only gently. Wear cotton undies, I have discavered mens undies are the best for now! Hope it goes away soon

I am not preggers but my sister is and she uses sapoderm soap and QV wash is really good too as its anti-bacterial! Those damn anti-biotics they do it to you everytime :P They told her not to wear lycra underwear just cotton and that seemed to help also Oh and another thing Yoghurt is supposed to be a natural remedy for it hehe
    Last edited by Miss K; June 25th, 2008 at 03:36 PM.

Just my 2 cents worth...

I've been told using "soap" down there can cause thrush, I use body wash all over but never over wash that area. I also wear panty liners (breathable ones) & change those quite alot to keep it fresh down there...

I hope that helps & I hope your thrush & UTI clear up once & for all!!!

I got thrush while pregnant and found that it was a combination of panty liners that didn't breath and soap, so I got a soap free wash for down there, cotton undies and breathable panty liners. I'm fairly sure hair had nothing to do with it.

Definately don't overdo on the cleaning - the vagina is mother natures perfect self cleaning organ, so you don't need to pay it a huge amount of attention kwim? After I had a shower at night I wouldn't put knickers back on as it was able 'breathe' and I felt fresher down there without them. And hair - I could plait mine LMAO. Get yourself some Fast Tract and then In-Liven for the thrush. If you choose to use a yoghurt, make sure it is one with live cultures in it - most normal store brought yoghurts don't have them so they are practically useless in combating thrush.

do you think the midwives cvare if its a bit 'hairy' down there??

as i cant see a thing down there, and i dont think DH would like to try his handy work....havnt asked....

what have you ladies done? Let it go....shaved, waxed ??

Quote Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post

I couldn't see "down there" either and was planning to clean up before birth. But DS2 arrived too early and boy did I get a shock when I had him and could see the jungle that was there. It was embarrassing to think that the ob and mw had seen that - I mean hello, move over Amazon!! But I didn't have thrush.

same happened to me with my first.
    Leash I've really given up on trying to be neat I'm like you and trust no one else with a razor I don't think the hair would play a role in anything but I agree with the others soap would play apart

darn the antibiotics eh!
    ive let mine go except for er trims.. no waxing, shaving or plucking for me as i just know id get ingrowns seeing as i cant see down there!
    i cant imagine the mids care bout how much pubic hair any woman has.. im sure they'd more likely remember the carpets that have been i dunno dyed funky colours?

HI girls
    Pregnancy will increase your chance of getting thrush.
    The amount of hair has no bearing on thrush.
    Excessive use of soap will increase your chance of getting thrush.
    Tight pants or undies will increase your chance of getting thrush
    Nylon, lycra will increase your chance of getting thrush.
    Try to spend some time without undies and let the area breathe
    Midwives do not care or comment how much hair you have. We see everything from bald to platable.

Leasha - I am usually quite susceptible to getting thrush but surprisingly havent had it since I fell pregnant.

I found a product at the chemist called 'Vagisil' which is absolutely brilliant. It is PH balanced and soap free, maybe give that a go instead of soap. I know I definitely cant use soap "down there" - upsets the PH level.

Yoghurt that has live cultures in it usually does the trick for me too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast