Thread: Leaky waters...

Question Leaky waters...

This may sound like a bizzare question but...can your "waters" leak? the last few days I have noticed that I am very "wet". At first I thought it was just baby pressing down on my bladder, and well...you know. but it doesnt' have a urine smell. Sorry this is probably too much information, but this morning I thought some more about it, and well...you know what happens when you start thinking, and I am such a panic merchant at the best of times. I'm off to the doctor's tomorrow for Anti D injection, so will ask her, but any information greatly appreciated.
    Vicky

amniotic fluid has a sweet smell and once you smell it, you can recognise it anywhere. I know this doesn't sound like a pleasant prospect (what the hey? Most of pgcy is either uncomfortable or unpleasant), but smell the wetness.....then describe it. If it's a sweet (sickly sweet) smell, it'vs very possible it's ur waters....

28 weeks yesterday. thanks katkins for the description. even though I have two kids already I haven't ever experienced this.
    Vicky

Could be an increase in CM which is pretty normal at this point. If you're not already, using a breathable panty liner might make you more comfortable. You should probably rule out water leakage first but CM is probably more likely.

I agree that at the stage of pregnancy you are at, it's more likely Cervical Mucous, but you should get it checked......

I always got a lot of CM during pg and would have to wear panty liners all the time. Most of the time it was quite watery looking too and a damn pain the backside.

Katkins,
    I so agree with the smell of amniotic fluid!!

with Indah I felt wet in the morning & thought I can remember getting up & going to the toilet so I cant be wet...
    I went to the loo & could smell something that I instantly reaclled but couldnt put my finger on, then I peed & wiped & there was a trickle in the toilet as i was about to pull my pants up & I realised then, this is my waters!!!

I was so excited, at 6 days over it was finally starting & she was born at 12:31am!!! The next day!

That smell will stay with me FOREVER!!!!

thanks girls. I thought I would put a liner in just to monitor it. little man is still playing lots of soccer in there so that is reassuring. sometimes its hard to know what to do isn't it? am I panicing, am i over reacting under-reacting.??blame it on the hormones!

Vicky.......also, when is your next appt? I suspected I had leaky waters when I was pg with Olivia and my OB/Midwives had these funky strips they gave me to "test the waters" (I was totally paranoid all the time about it, I think they gave me a stash to make me go away!!) but they were like bits of litmus paper to "wipe" with or press against a pad and the colour the strip came out gave me a yes/no answer on whether it was amniotic fluid or not...........might be worth asking at your next appt? (BTW, it never was, but better to be safe than sorry!)

thanks lucy. my next appt is tomorrow.

Vicky, Hi again I was going to suggest just what Lucy said. This is a definitive way of knowing.

Many people term leaky waters a hind water leak. I had what you describe at 28 weeks (yes truly!) with my first baby. I was sure it was my membranes "leaking" - however it was just the increase in watery mucous that is common around the start of the 3rd trimesterish when the pressure from the baby seems to create more discharge.

Having said that I wouldn't just "sit on it". Where are you having your baby? Are you going to Selangor? You could just pop into the hosp. and the girls in maternity will have a little look. This will make you feel better and if on the very slimist of chances that it is your membranes you do need to be given some care.

When your membranes leak it is usually quite significant - you can't miss it type of thing. However, not all women and all experiences are the same.

I hope that helps...

Thanks Deb. I spoke to my girlfriend this afternoon, who happens to be a midwife, and she said much the same thing as you. after last night and this morning, things seemed to have settled down. My g/f said to ring the hospital too. DH was at work til 4.30 this afternoon, so I wouldn't have been able to go anywhere any way, but thankfully it seems to have stopped. so maybe it is what you have said. Anyway, going to have check up tomorrow so will ask the doctor. By the way, having bub at Nambour.
    Vicky

HI Vicky - glad it has settled. Do let us know what they say today. So you are having your baby at Nambour General? I replied to your post in PAML.
    Let's know how you go. Thinking of you, but I am really sure things will be just fine...

Hi Deb,

Would you believe I can't even find the thread in PAML?! Not for lack of trying. I am still figuring out how to navigate my way round this site. Oh well. To be honest I can't even remember now what I had asked you! think it had something to do with living in the same vicinity? My head is like scrambled eggs at the moment. I was so exhausted yesterday after trying not to stress about the "leaky waters". Uni assignments are all consuming, roll on the end of term. I'm not going to do the summer term, going to enjoy having a break. I have a prac at the end of January for a week- that is going to be interesting to orcherstrate....

I'm off to the doctor's this afternoon, and will ask her about the "leak" but I really think now that it has settled that it was probably increased CM, and me stressing...Got into trouble from DH for not telling him...I know logically that he would have just come home, i just hate making a fuss. silly i know. Bloody hormornes. they are making me very tetchy at the moment.

I forgot to ask while I was being so self absorbed, how is everything going with you? I hope great! and that everything is going as it should.

My G/F had her little girl at Selangor last year. that is an amazing place. I love the "wall" of thank yous as you walk into maternity.

Have a good day, I will be ploughing my way through uni work...in between putting my head down for my daily nap!
    Take Care
    Vicky

How did you go Vicky at the doctors?
    Yes, Selangor is a really special place - I love it!111
    Thinking of you...
    Pregnancy after miscarriage or loss - go to main Forum click on and scroll down until your see Pregnancy AFTER MISCARRIAGE OR LOSS.

HI Deb,
    Thanks for asking. Well the good news was that she didn't think it was leaky waters, and just increased CM, but the bad news was that my iron levels are very low - thats reminds me must take the tablet! - and my sugar too high! So I have to have another blood test, which if the silly doctor had told me on Friday that I had to fast for - I would have been able to have today, but now have to wait til Wednesday when I will have the car! We only have one car, and anything other then the day to day running of life needs to be organised a couple of days in advance so that DH can get to work, and I can have the car. Oh well, one of the down sides of living on the sunshine coast hinterland - YOU NEED A CAR.

When I got home from the doctor I went into hormonal meltdown, and panic mode about what it would mean if I did have gestational diabetes and ended up putting myself to bed at 8.00, and sleeping til 8.30 the next morning. I spoke to my girlfriend who is a midwife and she made me feel better, and I have gone through the what ifs etc, and are feeling slightly more rational then I did on Friday afternoon. DH has no idea what to do with me - and for the matter neither do I! I tell him that leaving me alone is probalby the best option, that way no body's head gets bitten off. What a cranky cow I am becoming.

How are you doing? as well as can be expected amongst morning sickness I guess.
    Take care,
    Vicky

It's good news that youdon't need to worr about your membranes.
    I had GD with my last child. It really was no drama at all. I kept a food diary and had to do glucose levels 4 times a day. I quickly learnt what I could and couldn't eat. I lost quite a bit of weight due to the dietry changes which I have since maintained. It is unlikely that you will need to be managed with insulin (though it does happen) usually dietary changes are all that are needed.
    It is upsetting when you find out something is a bit amiss but truly youwill find it very manageable I am really sure.

Thank you Deb. I feel about 3000% better with that news.I haven't spoken to anyone who has had GD so your reassurance has put my mind at ease. I think it is the unknown that makes you stress.
    Well have been procrastinating long enough...must do some work.
    Take care
    Vicky