Thread: optimal fetal positioning

Default optimal fetal positioning

I was wondering, when do you start worrying about fetal positioning. The reason I am asking this is because I spend a lot of time at work sitting on a chair and it seems the most comfortable position for me is not a very good one for positing the baby, I always endup sitting with my feet up under my bum and legs crossed on the chair and laying slightly back on the chair, if I sit forward my ribs hurt. I am only 25 weeks and bub is still quite active but I just wanted to know wether I need to correct my posture now or I donít have to worry until the last few months of pregnancy. Bub used to turn around a lot and I could feel something hard against my belly but the last week it seems to be facing front I think because It doesnít feel hard and I feel it kicking under my belly button lots. I have bought the pink kit and have started it on it so I am sure that will help with positions but just checking if forget about for now or start changing my habits. Thanks guys!!!! Mel

Mel,

I've been trying to correct my posture etc. for a few weeks now (trying to prevent a posterior position, due to anterior placenta). Anyway, it's not easy to correct 26 years of bad habits. It's probably a good idea to start earlier so it will become a 'habit' - that way, when it actually does matter, you will already be used to it .

Speaking from experience LOL, I would start now. I think the spinning babies website recommends most positions to be started from the beginning of the 3rd tri. and like Ezz said, habits are hard to break so it's best to start now

Thanks guys, might have to go and buy that fit ball tonight.

I used to sit backwards on my office chair - I would lean my upper body against the back rest to take the pressure off my ribs. A few weird looks but I didn't care

And you're in the right frame of mind, it really must be a habit change. Not just 10-20 mins forward leaning, but thinking about a forward posture as much as possible. Keep up your current attitude, and you'l be doing great

thanks kaos!! might just have to try the chair back to front.

Hey mel

I would also recommend attending a regular yoga class (Fremantle E Shed offer a great pregnancy class on Saturdays) as this helps with general posture improvement and awareness. Plus the yoga positions can be used in everyday life to help to alleviate common discomforts associated with pregnancy.

perhaps have a mini workout (2 or 3 stretches) that you do evey few hours at work to help reduce discomfort and help with posture...as correct posture does reduce at the end of the day when muscles fatigue

good luck

xx yogababy

Thaks yoga baby, I have been meaning to go to yoga but the classes are at 12pm and I always seem busy. will make a point of going this week hopefuly is not too late to start! thanks.