Thread: Period cramps before labour

Default Period cramps before labour

For the past day or two, I've been getting period-like cramps. I feel so crappy. Is this normal before labour starts? Is there anything I could do to ease up the discomfort or do I have to bear with it until bub decides to arrive?

Hi,
    I had a period like cramp for up to two weeks before labour, got a bit annoying after a while.
    Try relaxing in a nice warm bath or get your partner to rub your lower back.
    Good luck and congratulations!!!!

I've had period cramps for the past 5 weeks - but in the last day they've gotten much worse, and almost-timeable..

I've been told it's my body preparing, but we can't tell when i'll pop from it

You can take panadol/panadeine and use heat pads or a hot water bottle

i've been getting them too, they actually woke me up a few times last night that were getting bad. Hopefully they are doing us some good for our labours ahead!

hi there, sounds like things might be happening for you soon - exciting! like others have suggested hot bath, hot water bottle, panadol etc should be good for easing the discomfort.

rest up and take care.

beccas

I'm happy to hear that this is part of what to expect before labour! Yay!!! Hopefully, I don't have to wait too long before bub decides to arrive.

Is headache also another common symptom showing up before labour? I started having a really bad headache... I haven't taken anything for the headache yet... Overall, my blood pressure has been fine at every weekly visit. It's just today, the period-like cramps worsen and the headache started...

I saw my OB last Friday and aked her about the same thing and she said it is progesterone surges preparing your cervix to dilate and it means that the big event is getting very close. Yay for us!!!!

I had period pain before ds was born. I went to sleep with lite cramping and woke up with my waters breaking

Hopefully you guys won't be kept waiting too long.

Drink lots of water have a nice warm bath and go to bed. try not to take anything unless it's unbearable, but panadol is ok. Oh and keep your food up as once labor gets going you won't want to eat much or anything.

For me with my second the period pain cramps were my labour !! I never even knew I was in labour until I was well and truelly there. I got the the birth centre at 7 cms.

I am sure that the headache is from the surge in hormones that can happen girls. Rest assured that your bodies are working in a way that you can't see also. Your big days are nearly here.

Goodluck

Trish, I'd LOVE IT if I were 7cms already!!
    Of course, I can dream

Tracey, if you wait long enough to go in hun, you will be

Trish, how lucky you are! I envy you! The last two Fridays, my Ob checked my cervix, and it has been only 1cm dilated! I wish I could be like you, 7cm! Hopefully, I'll be able to distinguish labour pain when it arrives. I'm crossing my fingers for this miracle to happen in any day now!

I gathered from all the posts that the good news is arriving with a sign of period cramp... Hmmm, this is so exciting! I think my hormone is reaching to its max because my face breaks out again! Argh to that, but at least, I don't have too much longer to go.

kellied, krisp, & tracey - Good luck to you all too! We are so close now... gotta keep up the good work! YAY!!!!

Carmen, I wish it was that way with all of my labours though. Admitidly I only had a 2 and a half hour first labour, 90 min second labour, my 3rd was a c section, but my 4th went for 10 hours. So I did jump back a long way.

When your really in labour you will know it. Just try and stay at home for as long as possible. When you are at home you are way more relaxed, in your own environment. Potter around the house, get last minute things done and don't rush anywhere too soon.

Goodluck girls

Trish, thank you! I hope my labour is going to be any easy one too especially this is my first! Will definitely let you girls know how everything goes! I can't wait to share my labour experience.

Good luck, I'm sure it won't be long for you now.

Carmen do you know what your having, I'm guessing girl, due to the break outs your having.

Rebecca, if this was the lottery, you have won! I am expecting a girl... hmmm, didn't know that the breakout is gender related?! All I know is that time is pressing, I just can't wait till she's born! The past few nights, I've been waking up at night wondering if I had missed my waters from breaking! Argh, I think I'm going crazy with this! LOL

Ahh Carmen, wouldn't it be nice to wake up and have yourself nearly be ready. That would be fantastic. Sleep through the first few hours of labour......

Goodluck hun, your little princess is just doing all of her finishing touches making sure she is gorgeous when she comesout for you. Besides, she knows that for a female its fashionable to be late

Trish, Thank you! I am telling myself to stay positive and waiting eagerly for the big day to come!