Thread: Pins and needles

Leah Guest

Default Pins and needles

Hi girls,

Hope you are all going really well and for those of you who have had m/s hope that is improving for you.
    Recently I have noticed that I am getting really bad bouts of pins and needles in my hands at night while Iam asleep. It is waking me up at least a few times at night and it's driving me crazy.
    I make a concious effort not to sleep with my hands under my tummy and it makes no difference. Is there anyone else having this problem too or is it just me?

Is there anyone who did have this problem but has gotten over it? If so what did you do to stop it from happening. Any help muchly appreciated.

Hope you all had a great weekend. Take care Leah

Hi Leah

I suffer from this too and it is very annoying isnt it. I havent found anything that helps. Maybe giving birth is the only surefire cure lol.

Leah Guest

Kayla,

Yeah I can't wait for it to go away. I don't remember having this problem whilst pg with my son but that was 2 years ago. My memory isn't to crash hot at the moment can't even remember what I go to the shops for if I don't take a note with me. Awful isn't it? Oh well we can blame it on the pregnancy.
    Is this your first little bubba?

Leah

Leah,

I get pins and needles and also cramp on occasions, probably suffering from more cramp then pins and needles, it`s awful and annoying when it happens.

Take Care

Deeanne

Leah Guest

Kayla,
    See what I mean about not remembering. I just answered my own question about being a first bubba. Leah

Leah Guest

Hi Deeanne,

Oh no your getting a double dose with pins and needles and cramps. Are you getting the cramps in your hands ? When you are sleeping. How is the sleeping going too? I would be ok if I could get rid of the p&n's.

Take care Leah

Leah

The cramp is usually in my calf sometimes in my foot.

Re: the sleeping, I seem to be getting to sleep okay at the moment but seem to be hogging DH`s side of the bed, it`s a king size bed I`m a size 8 - 10 so I don`t need much room but my body always seems to be on Marks side of the bed and my head on the outer edge of my pillow. When DH comes back in the morning he has to wake me up to get in, apparently one morning he actually pushed me back over to my side of the bed and I didn`t even wake, I found it quite funny when he told me, he`s not impressed, he`s 6 foot 3 and 94 kg so needs more room then me

Take Care

Deeanne

Leah

I forgot to ask hows your sleeping going?

Take Care

Deeanne

Leah Guest

Deeanne

My sleeping is going much better thanks for asking would be 100% if only those p&n's would go away.

I know what you mean about sleeping on the other side of the bed I do it to. My husband works night shift and doesn't get home till early hours of the morning so he has to get me to shift over too so he can get into bed.
    Take care Leah

pandora315 Guest

Yes, I occasionaly get the pins and needles feeling as well and I think I have an answer for it- though its something I just thought of so no promises. Usually the pins and needles feeling is in the hands or feet because the blood gets cut off during sleep or sitting in an akward position and during pregnancy alot of blood is being concentrated to the placenta- Its what makes some people feel dizzy when standing up or feel faint. I happen to have awful circulation anyway- my hands and feet are always cold -so I think maybe if you can force circulation into your hands and feet before sleeping it could help, like maybe by rubbing your hands and feet and flexing them often. Also sleeping at more or less of an elevation may help. O Let me know what happens!

Leah Guest

Pandora,

Thanks for that bit of advice I will gladly give it a go. Will let you know how I got on in a few days. Fingers crossed it will do the trick.
    Bye for now Leah

Melinda Guest

I'm just wondering if what you might be experiencing is carpal tunnel syndrome....I had that during my PG. Basically I was waking up with my hands feeling like they had gone to sleep and I would have to give them a good shake. Well at least that's how the CTS started for me. I found that by hanging your arm over the side of the bed helps that a bit. I also ended up with having a permanent sensation of pins and needles in all my fingers (with the exception of the little fingers) and it's pretty unpleasant....it's only just disappearing now and our little man is 4w old tomorrow. During PG CTS is caused by fluid retention.

Leah Guest

Tootie,

Well funny you should mention carpal tunnel syndrome. Four years ago I had my right wrist operated on due to a thing called dequervains disease, much the same as carpal tunnel from what I have read. The tendon had to be cut and realeased it was very painful indeed.
    I don't seem to be having the problem at the moment thank goodness.
    Hope your little one is really well. And you too!
    Take care Leah

Bespoke Image Guest

I had carpel tunnel in my first pregnancy - the physios said to make sure I didn't bend my wrists during sleep - and in the end I even got these lovely wrist supports to wear in bed (sexy - not) to keep my wrists and hands straight. Since then, I've found a brilliant chiropractor who adjusts my wrists and makes the carpel tunnel go away just like that - so I'd suggest visiting a good chiropractor.

I am bringing this one back as I am having shocking pins and needles during the night and day. It has gotten to the stage where if I write or hold a book or magazine for a long period of time I get the pins and needles.

I mentioned it to my ob the last time I was there and he said that it was quite normal - thank goodness for that! But it wouldn't disappear until after about 6 weeks of the baby being born. Gggrrr....

For those of you that have experienced it, can you tell me anyway that relieved it for you?

I am seeing my ob on Tuesday again but it is driving me crazy and is extremely painful!

Please help!

A girlfriend and I both experienced this with our pregnancies. We were both told it was 'carpal tunnel' or an experience very similar. The solution I was told when I woke with the pins & needles was to raise the limb in the air and rotate the wrist. This seemed to get rid of it very quickly. It's now starting again for me this pregnancy, again when I sleep. I just do the same thing and haven't had any ongoing problems.

Cheers,