Thread: Placenta calcification

AnnaC Guest

Question Placenta calcification

Hi,
    I had appointment with my OB last Friday and after brief US he told me that I got very calcified placenta and that I may need to be induced earlier than my due date. I’m now 32wk and really worried. Does anyone know anything about it?
    Thanks,
    AnnaC

No Anna - I'm sorry I dont know anything about it. Sounds a bit scary, hopefully worse than what it actually is.
    Please come and join in the belly buddies due in December thread. I'm 33w and there are a few of us there to chat to.
    Hoping that everything is OK.

Anna there is someone who just had a c/s scheduled early due to calcification of the placenta, I'm sure she's had bubby in the last week but hasn't been back on yet.

Hi Anna
    This means that your placenta is getting close to its use by date. This problem is not all that common. It is often caused by lifestyle, but sometimes the cause is unknown. Try not to worry too much. It is possible for your placenta to keep working until you give birth and I am sure that your ob will be keeping a close eye on things

AnnaC Guest

Thank you all!
    I spoke to my midwife yesterday and she said that I don't have to worry about it as the OB is aware of the situation.
    I feel a bit better today. My next appointement is on 10/11. Hope all will be well.
    Anna
    p.s. Fi, how do I join the belly buddies due in December thread?

Anna you can just go to that thread & introduce yourself. On the first page is some information about how you can be added to the list.

allyfield Guest

Hi Anne,

I had calcification of the placenta. My OB noticed it at my 38 week check up, like Alan said its getting towards its used by date. Because I had a c-section with my DS my OB thought it was best to do another c-section at 39 weeks. I now have a healthy little Baby girl. I am sure you have nothing to worry about.

AnnaC Guest

Hi allyfield,
    Thanks for that…. my only concern now is that your calcified placenta was detected at 38 weeks (full term). I was only 32 weeks…
    Can’t wait for this Friday OB appointment.
    Anna

P.S. Congratulations and the warmest of wishes to your baby girl.