Thread: Query about amniotic fluid/leakage

Default Query about amniotic fluid/leakage

Hi all

Another am I/aren't I question. Last night during the contractions I had to go to the loo rather a lot. The first time there was a load of discharge rather like when you have a bad cold and blow your nose - all watery with some green in. (As you may recall, I am the queen of green mucus so the green never bothered me.) Then an hour or so later back to the loo and some odd clear stuff, like stagnant water to feel and it smelt... well, a little sweet, a little salty and certainly not like urine (it was clear). It certainly smelt of next to nothing, but I didn't want to start sniffing my underwear and loo roll too much again (as I did when first pg and wondered what the green was LOL).

This lasted maybe 2-3 hours, in which I just put my feet up and watched TV during the contractions (didn't feel like anything was moving so didn't want to bother anyone), went to bed, did the EPO thing, woke up a few times overnight but that was because I was waaaaay too hot (was almost fainting before I went to bed!) and this morning there was still a little of this fluid coming out.

Is it amniotic fluid or just a change in mucus? If it is amniotic fluid, what should I be doing about it? I don't want to call anyone until I get some major signs (like what was happening on Tuesday, with the whole pain and backside involvement) because I just feel like I'm timewasting TBH, I only ask here because other people may want to know this too!

Just light contractions so far today, a bit of watery stuff coming out and feeling a little iffy still, but nothing that's making me think "labour" so far. And there certainly wasn't a gush, just an uncontrollable trickle. It doesn't feel like my waters have broken, or at least how I imagined that to feel.

Ryn, amniotic fluid smells like semen and it is watery. It doesn't have to gush, it can be a trickle that you can't control. I would contact the hospital just to check - you will definitely not be wasting anyones time, that is what they are there for. The worst they can say is that it sounds like discharge, the other option is it is your waters and they would want to know about that, especially as it has been a number of hours since it started. You poor thing, it is just going on and on for you - I hope for you that it is your waters. All the best.

Ryn, call the hosp JIC, and describe what you have, as you have described it in your post.

How far are you away from a GP? There are some swabs you can get from a Dr or from the hosp that you can use to test the fluid/discharge........if it IS amniotic fluid it will turn the swab a different colour.

If it is amniotic fluid, it may be just a leak, or it may be premature rupture of membranes, which can put a baby at risk of infection, so always best to get it checked.........

just an uncontrollable trickle. It doesn't feel like my waters have broken, or at least how I imagined that to feel.
    When I was in labour with Olivia, this happened to me too..........I had imagined in my head it would be like a mopbuckets worth of liquid, but as it turns out it was about 2 small cupfulls. (My waters started to trickle like this at 9am, and I went to the hosp at 3pm and gave birth at nearly 11pm)

When my waters broke with Charlie and Lexie is was a MASSIVE amount of fluid, so there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it.........
    Last edited by Lucy; February 11th, 2007 at 08:05 PM.

Oh Ryn! I have no idea but I hope that this is some sort of a sign that things are really getting ready to happen for you! You poor chook, this is really dragging on for you! Speedy LV being sent your way!

MG

Thanks girls

It seems to have stopped now, worse luck, so I'm still just plodding on... Still having regular contractions, just nothing major. I was really hoping to be on my way to the birth centre by now! Ah well, we still have another 20 hours until I will be going for my induction (which I still don't want!) so anything could happen.

Ryn my SIL is a mw and we were talking about leaking fluid the other day as there isnt much around my bub and I said how do I know the difference? she said that the inside of your vg has a natural dip so when you lie down for a bit (if it is your waters) it will pool in there and tend to leak out as soon as you stand. So I guess that is another way of telling if they are leaking.

I would still phone your hospital and just have a chat with them about it because if it is your waters leaking then the baby could be exposed to infection..

I called the birth centre, who said call the hospital, so I did.

I was promptly told I should have called them and gone in last night (but they'd never told me that before, nor did I really think too much about it last night)... I am to come in. Well, not now, in about half an hour. They then let us wait another half-hour outside the labour ward... so, is this urgent or not? Turns out it's glycoslochia (and I do know that's not how you spell it, any correction would be fab!), but my cervix is all soft and opening, so that's one good thing to come out of it.

I have all fingers and toes crosed for you that this is all going to lead up to a naturally started labour before you need the induction hun
    All the best for a speedy and easy birth

Ryn, gald to hear that you have some answeres hun. And even better that something is finally happening with your cevix.

Ryn
    I think that you must be havong a girl. She is taking sooo long to get ready to come out

Alan, perhaps she is busy getting ready, doing her hair and stuff. That's what I used to say when I was pg with Tehya.

Yeah thats what I rekon Trish

Ryn,
    Thinking of you... That cervix is sounding DEVINE! Good work. Just know that all of this is helping Liebling into your arms.

LMAO, not like her parents then (although both DH and I were "late", I never spend more than five minutes on my face now... my sister was 2 weeks early and spends days doing her hair... I'm now really thankful the baby is late LOL).

Well, I reckon my waters have broken; soaking through pantyliners in just 4 hours whilst I sleep and smelling strongly of sperm. So all that fuss yesterday was just me getting over-excited again LOL.

BTW, should the blood from a sweep be really bright red, last for over 12 hours and have some clots in it? I did wonder that at about 2.50am when I got up to use the loo and change my sanitary protection, but I figure I'm in hospital anyway later today so can ask them then.

Oh, and according to my notes, the discharge was g. lacorrhoea (I think, couldn't make out all the writing!).

HAHA Ryn, I knew the spelling would be killing you. LOL.

I think the blood is ok. It is just from the cervix thinning out. Only a good thing as far as I remember. Like you said your off to the hosp today anyway so let them know when you get there.

Goodluck hun. Hope you get a speedy labour and birth now after this long week you've had.

Ryn, from what you just described, I'd be calling the hospital/birth centre again.

I'm no midwife, but when things got to that stage for me (blood, clots etc) and called the hospital they told me I was ready to go! And after 72 hours I was more than willing to take their word for it - and yes, she was a girl!

Oooooh too exciting, let us know what's happening!

Good luck!

Good Luck Ryn!!! I think our babes might share the same birthday if you make through to the 13th!!!!

Goodluck Ryn,,,,
    Wishing you a great speedy birth!