Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Leaf Tea

~Belinda~ Guest

Default Raspberry Leaf Tea

Hi All

Is anyone drinking raspberry leaf tea during the last 8 weeks of their pregnancy?

I have heard that it is very beneficial to child birth etc. I would like to take it but just unsure about the risks associated with it.

I have also heard that drinking it 8 weeks after the baby is born aids in productive breastfeeding and gets your uterine back to normal.

Just interested whether anyone has any information on it or is drinking it. I have also heard nettle tea is good although it tastes awful.

Thanks.

Love Bindy xxxx

Hi Bindy
    I drank RLT in the last 8 weeks or so of pregnancy, I just had 2 cups per day... apparently it tones the uterus - I think I felt more BH contractions after having it. I have no idea how much 'proof' there is - but I had an excellent labour and good pre labour (my birth story is posted if you want to see) and so next time I will be doing the same (amongst other things).
    I have also heard that it helps post birth with milk supply - was going to have this but I have SO much milk so I havent had any of the RLT since the birth.
    Hope that helps you somewhat - and best of luck for the rest of your pregnancy.

Im glad I found this post as I was thinking of starting to take the RST myself, it was mentioned to me though not to start it before 37 weeks though, not sure why this is but assuming may bring on early labour - has anyone heard this?

I drank RTL from week 34 in all three of my pregnancies. I drank gallons of thestuff. (I am odd in as much as I really like some of the more "out there" herbal teas, LOL!Luke warm from a glass was my preference..........)

I literally drank 8 glasses a day, with each pregnancy.

As far as I am aware, no side effects at all. Clear skin & active bladder!

I asked both my Ob's their opinion on taking it, and they both pretty much shrugged as if to say "it won't make any difference either way" LOL, but neither of them gave me any cautionary tales.

I delevered all 3 of my babies vaginally and fast...........not sure if the RLT has anything to do with it, but I did have 3 blissful births........

A lady at a babyshower i was at on the weekend mentioned RTL, she swore by it saying it helped her have an easier labour the 2nd & 3rd time around, although she did say it made her bladder work overtime lol. I was going to find out more about it and if it is deffinately safe i might give it a go.

Hey Girls

RLT is a uterine tonic...making the uterine muscle toned, which encourages the muscle to be able to contract and retract as efficiently as possible...meaning your contractions are optimal for cervical dilation, and theoretically can reduce the length of your labor...as it tones the uterus it also helps to prevent post partum haemorrhage as the uterus clamps down effeciently after the placenta is delivered...and yes it also helps with milk production.

some women do experience an irritable uterus (more BH) with the use of tea, and sometimes taking tablets instead can reduce this (as it is a measured dose)

most herbalists recommend that you start using the tea or tablets from 30-32 weeks

there are no SE for mother or baby

xx yogababy

Just thought i'd add that there is a thread about RTL in the alternative therapies discussion - Raspberry Leaf Tea - BellyBelly Forums ~ Pregnancy, Birth & Baby
    Last edited by Lucy; October 17th, 2007 at 03:02 PM.

hmm.... i'm interested in this too!

do you just buy it from a health food shop??

You can buy the tea bags from the health food aisle in Coles/Woolies...........

SueB Guest

I have been taking RL tablets since 28 weeks .. just 4 a day .. my last labor was long and painfull and i have read alot about the benifits of RLT .. when i asked my GP she said i can start on the tea from 30 weeks starting with 2/3 cups a days working up to 6 cups a day at 36weeks (if i can stand the taste) Oh can someone tell me how it tastes before i make my first cup later tonight

Is there a difference from the ones in Coles though from the tea you get from the health shop??

I drank loads of the stuff last time from 34 weeks i think. I made sure to have at least 4 cups a day! Don't know if it had anything to do with it, but my labour was relatively easy, and my cervix dilated easily and very quickly. My Ob has told me not to start drinking it before 36 weeks this time - i think she's worried i might go early (i was on EDD last time- 1st pg) and too quickly this time!! Evan was born 3 hours after arriving at the hospital. I really believe it did help and i can't wait to get stuck in to it again this time around... although i don't much like the taste of it, i like thinking it's doing some good!!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lesh2 View Post
    Is there a difference from the ones in Coles though from the tea you get from the health shop??
    You just need to be sure it's Raspberry LEAF tea - and not just Raspberry tea.

I get the Red Seal brand - which can be found at Coles, but not all the time. Otherwise I just buy in bulk from the pharmacy if they have it.

I started at 35 weeks and am up to 3 cups a day. I have HEAPS of uncomfortable BH's throughout the day (aswell as some bad period cramps) but I know it's doing what it's supposed to I used to drink RLT to ease PMT, and it did.
    Last edited by Lucy; October 17th, 2007 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Removal of link

Is there a difference from the ones in Coles though from the tea you get from the health shop
    Red Seal is available in both........as Tracey says, actual raspberry LEAF tea, not just raspberry flavoured tea from the tea bag section.

I found it simply easier & cheaper to buy my stash from Coles rather than the heath food shop......

it tasted, to me, like weak nettle tea. Or a greener chamomile. Slightly herby. No tannin, obviously. Clear murky green. (I like it strong, so left the bag to seep for AGES, until the boiled water went lukewarm, then sculled it.) I found it really really refreshing (but I am odd with herbal teas....I like the ones that most people think are rank, LOL!)
    Last edited by Lucy; October 17th, 2007 at 08:35 PM.

I had my baby classes last night and RLT was brought up in topic, my midwife said definatly not to start taking it before 36 weeks!! This is first baby so would that be why perhpas? I'm seeing my shared carer next week so will be interesting to see what he says!! So many different dates.

Is there a difference in benefits between taking the tablets or drinking the stuff?
    I don't know if I could handle the taste

SueB Guest

I scoured my local Coles and Bi-lo today and can't find any RLT so will have to go to the health food store any idea ona normal price range ( i think our HFS is pricey as it's the only one around for ages)

becky Guest

Ive been drinking it from 34 weeks and taking the tablets too from 35. I actually really like the taste. Its nice. Not sure yet if it works or not - LOL, hopefully find out in 2 days!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast