Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raspberry Leaf Tea

Adkins...yes there is a difference in the tea and the tablets

loose leaf tea is the most potent...and freshest
    tea bags are not as strong...as they are not as fresh
    tablets are a measured dose

Lesh...not sure why your m/w said not to take RLT until 36 weeks, but research recommends that you can start as early as 28weeks, with most articles recommending starting at around 30 weeks

hope this helps

xx yogababy

i have read on quite a few websites that you can drink RLT earlier but in smaller doses... is this correct?
    I use to drink it prior to pg (i liked it) and would like to go back to it.
    Any advice?

Sorry for butting in!

Hey Sammiejane

Im not sure about drinking it earlier...but I have heard that some people drink it purely for the taste..as a uterine tonic it is not going to have any negative effects on the pregnancy, but it may cause an irritable uterus (lots of BH) which can be uncomfortable, but are not any indication of preterm labor...remember that BH are great as they oxygenate the uterus and the baby

xx yogababy

I have heard some people make it up and add sugar then refrigerate it and drink it cold. I've never tried it myself but apparently it is yummy and refreshing (although obviously not as good for you with the added sugar! LOL) so maybe that is something to try for those who don't like the taste.

mazzie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SueB View Post
    I scoured my local Coles and Bi-lo today and can't find any RLT so will have to go to the health food store any idea ona normal price range ( i think our HFS is pricey as it's the only one around for ages)
    I bought a box for 4-5 dollars and there's 25 teabags in a box. You can also take the tablets.

I drink about one cup a day, but it says 2-3 on the box!

becky Guest

Hi guys, just thought I would pop in and say I 100% recommend RLT!!!
    I had a really bad labour with my DS. 24 hours, really bad!

But I just gave birth to my DD on Saturday, and she came out within 4 hours! I had been drinking 3 cups of tea a day since 35 weeks, and taking 4 tablets a day from 36 weeks. I dont know for sure if this was a reason my labour was so much better, but its the only thing I really did differently!!

I'm 30 weeks and just started raspberry leaf tea as i had a nightmare birth experience last time: (near death experience, escalating intervention, fever/delerious/unconsciousness, trauma to the point of regretting having a baby, first thought on seeing my son: thank god he's a boy so he'll never have to go through THAT (again), a mutilated body, serious suicidal contemplation for first 2 days, 7 days in neo-natal intensive care, etc). anyway, i got better, I got brave and got pregnant again, so here we are and i'm drinking the tea thinking it'll be alright this time (couldn't be any worse!). I put a couple of tea bags in a teapot inthe morning and just drink it throughout the day either straight or mixed with juice or cordial. I'll let you all know how it goes in 10 weeks (or sooner, insyallah).

I don't like the taste either but the way I drink it is make the tea about 4-5 cups worth in a coffee plunger, then pour it into a glass bottle, add a good heaped teaspoon of honey and chill it down in the fridge. When you go to drink a cup add a couple of ice cubes, a slice of lemon and it's OK (just) and very refreshing and suprisingly I'm getting used to the taste again. I drank loads of it with my DS and I have to say I had a hideous birth so didn't do "the trick" for me but I'm still giving it another go this time around.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by becky View Post
    Hi guys, just thought I would pop in and say I 100% recommend RLT!!!
    I had a really bad labour with my DS. 24 hours, really bad!

But I just gave birth to my DD on Saturday, and she came out within 4 hours! I had been drinking 3 cups of tea a day since 35 weeks, and taking 4 tablets a day from 36 weeks. I dont know for sure if this was a reason my labour was so much better, but its the only thing I really did differently!!
    Excellent! Congratulations on your little girl

I'm 39+1 right now, not long to go! I'll make sure to come back and report on how I thought RLT effected our labour

becky Guest

Thanks Tracey!!
    I hope you have a great birth experience too...... I guess the RLT will affect everybody differently!

I'm back to offer my comments on RL tea!

Labour - was longer than I'd like (14 hours) and I wasn't progressing naturally, my contractions never got regular, so I did go with some intervention
    After labour - my uterus is back in place (we're 3.5 days from the birth now) and i'm back into my size 8's. I'm also not bleeding as much anymore - it's like a really really light period

I really like Raspberry Leaf tea anyway, so I would recommend trying it if you want. It can't do any harm

I took the RL tablets and drank about 3 cups of RLT per day for the last 6-8 weeks of my pregancy, and my labour was wonderful! I didn't have painful contractions until they were 2 minutes apart, and my labour was pretty fast (~5 hours). I went from 3cm to 10cm in 4 hours. My theory was that the RLT toned my uterus - but I'll never be sure. I'll definitely take them again for future pg, and I liked the taste of the tea

I picked up a couple of boxes of the teabags and a bag of loose tea leaves...I've been throwing the bags in a big plunger and drink it at work...cold. I don't mind the taste as I like herbal tea.

I'm having about 3 cups a day at this stage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12