Thread: Raspberry Leaf Tea & Painful BH

Default Raspberry Leaf Tea & Painful BH

Hello girls,
    I wonder if anyone here has much experience with red Raspberry Leaf Tea.
    My midwife is on holidays so I saw a different MW for my pre-natal appointment on Friday. She advised me to start drinking Raspberry Leaf Tea. I started drinking it yesterday and had 3 cups. I did feel a bit uncomfortable last night, but didn't make the connection until today. Today I have had 2 cups and about 3 hours after the first cup I started getting really painful cramps. I guess they're BH. They were like very bad period cramps. Bubba was also very active. That episode lasted for a couple of hours until I decided to change positions (I was sitting at the computer, working) and lie down for a while. That really seemed to help, the cramps are still around, but a lot lighter and very spaced out.
    Oh, it might be important to mention that until now, I have never actually felt any BH, so this is very new for me.
    Do you think I should stop drinking RLT? Or should I have started more gradually and maybe only have 1 cup a day for a while?

ella_daniella Guest

im not sure, but ive been reccomended to try the tea too...where did you get this from?

I would probably just stick to one cup a day, and bhicks are more common now anyway.

waiting4bub Guest

Hi Alex
    I take the RLT tablets from Blackmores (6 a day). BH is there, but not very strong. Baby is fairly kicky. But early labour like I was hoping for hasnt happened. I started taking them from 36 wks onwards.

Ella Daniella, I got the loose leaf tea from the local health shop. Yes, I might reduce to 1 cup a day. I just can't believe the difference it made. From not feeling BH to really painful ones. I was actually panting through some of them.

Waiting4Bub, I didn't think RLT was supposed to cause early labour. I thought it was just meant to make labour cx more effective (and maybe even shorter). Oh well, you might just have to have lots of sex to get thing going I hope you'll have your bub soon! You must be getting sooo excited.

I'd prob drop down to one cup a day for a couple more weeks

ella_daniella Guest

Sunshine_Sieben did you realise we have the same due date!! 31 May!!

Good luck with everything!

Maybe I should have got the tea and not the tablets Both Raspberry leaf tea and evening primrose oil are uterine toners and assist in having shorter labours and softening of the cervix, so very good stuff, you can take raspberry leaf tea from 32 weeks 4-5 cups a day or 2400mg in tablets a day.

Oooo forgot to add you continue taking up to labour and even while in labour to get the full effect, so if you run out, get it right away again as it doesnt stay in the system long.

Ella-Daniella, woohoo for the 31st of May!!! I can't wait for that day.

SarahBarahBanana, what a creative nickname! Can you give me more info on the EPO. I used to take it when TTC but haven't taken it since. How much am I meant to take? Can it cause more or more painful BH? Can it cause early labour? I have heard that some women use it internally, but I don't think I'd want to do that.

Thanks Sunshine, my foster mum used to call me that, you the the name game song? She ended up shortening it to Nanners though. I am not sure how much you are meant to take, it varies with each article I read on it but I take 5 1000mg tablets a day, 4 orally and 1 internally at night. One article said 5 internally and none orally but I like to keep things nice down there if you know what I mean.

I started taking 2 Blackmores RLT tabs a day and a cup of the tea every tother day from about 35 weeks and before then had not noticed any BH's but within 2 days I was getting very firm BH's and every so often they'd be a little crampy....could be a coincidence but who knows!

Hi, just a quick update. I only had one cup of tea yesterday and had no painful BH at all. So maybe it was too much too soon. Or maybe it was cramping caused by gas??? It is so hard to tell all these different sensations apart when you don't really know what they are supposed to feel like.