Thread: Size of belly indication of baby size?!

Question Size of belly indication of baby size?!

I know that the size of our belly is probably no indicator of the size of baby but just curious about your experiences in regards to this.
    I am a slim build and have only put on 10 kgs so far in my pregnancy and have quite a large neat bump, in fact I'm just all belly! I love it and I feel and am told I look great. However I'm really getting sick of being told how big I am and that I look like I'm going to 'pop' at any time.
    I had one lady whom I only just met ask me when I'm due and couldn't believe I was still going as she thought I was going to pop last year. She then went on to say that it seems as though I've been pregnant forever and thought I must be so over this pregnancy- can you believe it?! I was speechless. I wish I replied with something like - yeah it does take nine months and no, I'm not over it as I am loving every minute of it and am feeling great thanks.
    I have had many mums tell me that they can tell it's going to be a big baby just by looking at me. I remember with DD, I had quite a small bump and people would tell me I would have a tiny baby - she was 7lb10. I was under the impression that belly size wasn't an accurate measure of babys size. I am right aren't I?
    It's just amazing how many ladies have to give their few cents worth. Do they forget the comments that annoy them when pregnant? Sorry just needed to vent. probably just the emotions running wild at the moment!

with ds i was HUGE ... ppl told me at 5 months i was ready to pop and had them tell me " oooh not long to go "

and now i am 4 mths pg and ppl think im 6 mths .. im just all belly too and was with ds ..

but with ds i was measuring 38wks at 35 wks and the mid wife was concerend ... but a scan just showed a big bud (8lb th full term ) and lots of fluid ..

unless they are midwives or OB's they may think they know it all but they dont ... let them feel better about themselves and have them put there 2 cents in ... but dont let them change how you feel !!!

I agree!!! I think it's hilarious how many people offer theyir opinion. I don't think belly size matters too much though I imagine if you had a MASSIVE belly you wold probably expect to have a bigger baby. My belly was big (not massive) and I have DD who wsa 3.75 kg. I had a lot of fluid too. I lveo how people use to look at me and say "oh you're carrying just like me, you're going to have a ....." I was having a boy and girl according to everyone else!

I carried low and was very small and had everyone commenting that I only looked 6 months gone when I was full term. Even the OB said that my bub would probably only be 6-7 pounds when he actually was 8 pound 3 ounces. So, no, I don't think that the size of your bump is any indication of how big your bundle of love is!!

Nita

Hi Danni
    Yes you are right. The size of your belly is a very poor indicator of how big your baby will be. The size of your belly depends on a number of things including the amount of fluid, the position of your baby and to some degree the size of your baby. Also it is quite common for a slim person to appear to have a larger pregnant belly than someone who is not so slim

Ditto Alan!! I didn't look at all like what i actually had with any 5 of my pregnancies!! My sister and I were pregnant together for my 5th and her 1st. She was MASSIVE, and I was average, both built slender before falling pregnant. She had a 6 pounder, mine.... almost 9 pounder!!

I think people say things like that because they just don't know what else to say kwim? Drive you nuts but they just can't not say anything so they just say the first stupid thing that pops into their heads i reckon LOL.

Seriously, if you saw me waddling towards you when I was 40wks pg with Alister, you'd have thought I had a 15 pound baby in there - I was HUGE! instead he was just over 10lb LOL.

I'm the mistress of self-delusion so convinced myself that I wasn't very big at all. I have since seen photos of myself and I was MASSIVE tummy-wise but had only put on 6kg. DD was 8lb 10oz and my ob was spot on (just from a feel, no scan).

Oh, and what really peed me off was that everyone (including me) thought I was having a boy. It was only a couple of people with the really whacky theories who thought I was having a girl. And yeah, the whackos were right!

I was told I was both teeny and massive in the same day.......

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu2 View Post
    I was told I was both teeny and massive in the same day.......

Same as me! I was alot smaller than the other girls in my ante natal class, they all thought I would be one of the "later due dates" in the class & I was actually third from the first due!

My belly was quite small (depending on the angle I think too!) & I had a 8lb 13oz baby!

All pregnant bellies are beautiful no matter what the size... alot of people just get jealous & say something "mean" to make themselves feel better (eg "wow you're huge!)

Oh my god, all pregnant women must get it huh? I got "wow your huge" all through my 1st pregnancy mind you, my daughter come out 10 lbs 2 oz. And I agree that I was indeed very huge... but wasnt I allowed to be? For god sakes I was pregnant, I think other women and people need to realise this and just leave us the hell alone lol...

every pregnant woman is different, I am not carrying my baby the same this time as last time, he is very down low I am carrying him on my hips and put on a little weight around my bum and hip area from carrying him so low... but really who cares? If other people care, they obviously dont have wnough in their life to keep them occupied lol.

And other prople dont realise that in saying your huge or wow I cant beleive your still going! - That even though we are pregnant sometimes it does hurt a little, it is a little hard to feel sexy and pretty when you are so huge looking at other girls that may be smaller than you and pregnant and wishing you were only their size so you didnt get that all the time.

This is a good one I get constantly.... "Are you sure theres not 2 in there?".... argh! I am so over being told how big I am I dont care, so I wish other people wouldnt care either. I actuall walked into a club the other weekend with my hubby, and the guy behind the bar said... "Wow your big, are you sure your not having twins??" infront of everyone and he continued to laugh at what he thought was a good joke, I was so humiliated and embarressed I just smiled and tried to ignore it. I put it down to the fact that it must of been the only time he get away with calling a sheila big or huge without getting punched out for it. lol

Oh and a lady in Big W when I was buying baby stuff at the checkout... asked how far I was I told her, she was like oh my... your very very big. Wasnt really her place to say it... and this might sound harsh or mean... but I am getting a little annoyed and hormonal about peoples comments.. I thought it but didnt say it... which was "I am 34 weeks pregnant and still not as big as you!" soooo B*tchy I know... I was however polite enough not to say it, she however wasnt polite enough to keep her rude comments to herself lol. I dunno it is sooooooo annoying... when people tell me how big I am my hubby looks at me as if he's just waiting for a bomb to explode lol.

*hugs* Danni.

DH's horse was racing last week at Ascot so I went to watch. For anonymity, let's say my last name is Smith. Conversation with DH's cousin goes like this:

Cousin - how does it feel to be the fattest Smith on course?

I asked him to repeat it because I was so shocked! Plus, I'd only had one of the girls there tell me not 10 minutes before how good I looked!

At my Christmas party, a guy said to me "gee, you're looking tubby". I turned around and said "that extra weight suits you too". He was astounded. I would never, ever comment on someone's weight, what gives others the right to comment on yours? (except in this instance when I thought it was deserved!)

*vent over*

Danielle, I couldn't have smiled serenely like yourself, I would have given the barman daggers!

Okay, I'm still going!

There is a friend who calls me "big girl" and I really hate it. My SIL said I should say "yes, and isn't it fantastic!".

So, I guess I should take SIL's advice and kind of agree IYKWIM? Plus, I'm almost at the end and have put on 13kg's which I am really happy with.

Danni I wouldn't be too concerned it is very unfortunate but true that people in our society just can't help themselves! They have to be insulting (and alsways witha smile on their faces too) to make themselves feel better! I had a chick who was soooo nasty and had to tell me everytime she saw me (pretty much at least once a week) how big i was and oh i reckon they are wrong there has to be two in there! Anyway then she fell PG and at first raved about how she was not going to be big and had teh wieghts of her previous PG's so that she could stay under that. Well in the end she wa on the rather large side and never once did i comment, but others did and were nasty to her and she had the hide to whinge to ME about how mean people were being!!!! I just said yeah i really don't think other women realise how mean they are being until it happesns to them and left it at that! Mind you i had a terrible PG last time round and didn't mind talking about it. IF i was asked i would say i felt like ****! Anyway this same girl raved about how great she felt through ehr PG to me and its only now that i am expecting again that she has said that she couldnt do it again as she found her last PG painful and so on! Man i can't handle people who for one lie to you and two forget how nasty they were to you.

I have been blessed with a really good PG this time ( well for most of it of course we all have some off days).
    But the fact is we all carry differently, and can be different in each PG plus it depends on the amount of fluid where and how the baby is sitting and a whole heap of things.
    Pregnancy is beautiful and it should be enjoyed as much as possible. We are creating life!!! If anyone says anything to me with this PG about being big they will simply be told yep and I am loving it thank you!!!

Sorry for the vent I guess we jsut all get a little sick of it!

It's so great to hear your comments and vents ladies, it's not good that you have to receive those hurtful comments from people but I am glad that others can sympathise with me and I'm not being an overly sensitive, irrational person.
    I am loving being pregnant - it is simply the most amazing and special time but it really doesn't help to be an enjoyable experience with peoples rude insensitive comments. I can't believe that people can be so darn unthoughtful! I feel for you Danielle, I too got the "oh theres got to be twins in there" comments. It was unreal as one lady who made this comment is an incredibly overweight lady whom I hadn't seen in a long time and she was so lucky I was having a good day otherwise I really could have said something hurtful - but really that isn't me. I cant believe your cousin said that Shoegal!! That is So rude. Good on you for the reply to the comment you recieved at the Xmas party - thats so gutsy! I like your attitude Katstribe - yep I'm big and I'm loving it thankyou! That's what I say now to people that just have to comment. At least we are big for a reason and what a blessing!! The funny thing is that you can feel so great and receive lovely positive comments about the way you look and then one person, even people you don't know feel they have to comment on your size and wham - it's like a slap in the face. I am pregnant - I am beautiful we should say!!