Thread: SPD... anyone else out there?

kerry Guest

Default SPD... anyone else out there?

Hi I'm adding to my list of health dramas and woes but (most likely because of pre-existing Hypermobility) I have developed SPD (Sympathis Pubis Disfunction). For those of you who aren't sure this is a very similar condition to OP (Ostio Pubitis... the in cool compl,aint for all the footballers atm). My symptoms included not being able to stand up from a sitting position, difficulty getting inot and out of the car, having to do tiny baby shuffle steps to walk, not being able to get out of bed and agony.

Ob sends me to the physio... physio sends me to the chiro... 24 hours later I can walk... so fo me the best cure is a weekly visit to the chiro. It has been a godsend and without it I am sure i would be stucking in bed unable to move.

Does anyone else have any advice or remedies that work/worked for them?

Also for those who have btdt how did the SPD impact on labour and were there any complications afterwards?

Yep I have it, had it with Paris too. It was quite severe in the early stages of pregnancy and I can't do too much walking or stairs or it flares up quite bad. You've probably been given all the usual bits of advice ie. When getting in and out of a car or bed swing both legs around, don't ever lean on one leg more than the other. I didn't go to a physio but I was taped for 4 days, after some work, and now I have a brace to use for long walks. I would definitley recommend the brace as it keeps the pelvis aligned and also keeps the spine from compacting. I use a pregnancy pillow for my tummy (like a wedge) and I sleep with a pillow between my legs to keep my pelvis in line. I didn't find SPD impacted labour at all, but I only got to 3 cms over 27 hrs so I never got to the pushing stage. My physio is actually quite trained in SPD and says there shouldn't really be any problems but it is recommended to let midwives etc know. Afterwards she's also recommended I do some rehabilatative pilates to strengthen the pelvis and prevent future problems. This is all I can think of for now, but I just want you to know I understand how painful and restrictive it is!

*hugs*
    Cailin

kerry Guest

Thanks Cailin. I tried the Brace thing and it put too much strain on my kidneys (have an existing problem there) and caused a minor kidney bleed so that was why the physio sent me to the chiro. I think my biggest problem is that I have a dodgy left leg and a nerve block from the knee down so it is impossible for me not to put more pressure on one leg than the other. Oh and te OB and Chiro have no-noed all stairs unless they are absolutely necessary.

The belly pillow might be worth a try. I am already doing the pillow between the legs and have found it helps too.

Oh and the chiro suggested putting an empty plastic bag on the car seat so it is easier to twist and swing my legs out together. A simple and cheap solution that has helped heaps.

Bugger about the kidneys, sorry to hear that. I too have another condition (squished disc) which compounds the SPD fun isn't it! Stairs can be just as bad as walking, so keep that in mind for walking too. If you do alot of driving etc, it might be an idea to invest in a disabled parking sticker? Talk to your Dr and see what he/she can do as I know in most cases we are eligable (I keep meaning to do it but forget). The plastic bag thing is a great idea!

Goodluck sweetie, hopefully it will ease up on you with help from your chiro.

*Hugs*
    Cailin

I had it while pg and contacted the association in Vic. I will PM you the info if you want.

kerry Guest

Cailin - good luck for things not getting too much worse.

Gemma - I would love it if you could pm me the info on the support group.