Thread: Strep B - experiences

Default Strep B - experiences

Hi Everyone,

Early on, about 6 weeks in, I tested positive to the strep b bacteria, with the doctor then commenting that more than likely will remain and that I'll have to have IV antibiotics during labour to protect baby, which brings me to two questions....

Does being on IV antbiotics mean I won't be able to be as active during the birth?
    and
    I have to say I'm not a fan of bubs receiving antibiotics before the poor little thing is even born? and upset of digestive flora before we even start?

My sister had a baby 2 years ago, and they never tested for StrepB at all, so wonder really how much of a risk it does pose? Obviously if there is a perceived risk, then health of the bubba comes first and I'll do whatever has to be done, but want to be a bit more informed.

Anyone else had an experience with the Strep B issue that can shed some light? I'm a couple of weeks away from seeing my Ob again to ask her all these questions, but would love to hear of some personal experiences.

Thanks

I don't usually get tested till around 36 wks. They say it can change so the earlier you get tested the less acurate it is. I was + withall three and expect the same with this one. I get thrush real easy so I figure if I was pos with three why not four.

1st one bubs got the shot and had to be monitored for 24hrs before feeds.
    2nd I got one dose iv (protocol had changed by then and mum got it not bubs) before bubs was born. She had to be monitored due to me not getting second dose of iv
    3rd I got both doses in before bubs arrived and bubs didn't not need monitoring. Yay, I could feed and do my own thing.

As for the labor, I think I was only in bed, or not moving around much for the 2x5min of the drip. Otherwise I was as mobile as anyone else.

You might want to check about the earlyness of your test.
    best of wishes

I had strep B with both my cherubs. With Ewan I had a drip and the antibiotics were put into the bag of saline and took ages. With Paisley they were injected straight into the cannula and took just a minute. Paisley had terribly sticky eyes for a couple of weeks and the peadiatrician said it could be the Step, Ewans eyes were fine as he was born via CS.

Hi Jules, I just got tested for this last week. The OB said if you are positive and don't ahve the antibiotics it can have all kinds of illness consequences for the baby as it moves down the birth canal.

I remember a post from Maz advising that without the antibiotics it can cause menigitis etc to bubs.

Can you ask to get retested?

There are a couple of previous threads that may answer your questions:

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/preg...ease-help.html

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/preg...0-strep-b.html

HTH

I had the strep b test at my 36w check up. Don't know the results yet, but the mw explained that if i was +ve, they would give me 2 doses of antibodies via a needle so that i wouldn't need to be fixed up to a drip. it needs to be given at a good interval before the birth of teh baby, so it can get through to them. I'm not a medical person, but i'm assuming its better for the bub to get antibodies via my blood than it is for them to get it via an injection, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue in terms of feeding. and i assume its better than not having the antibodies and them picking it up as they pass through the vagina. again, i'm not medical so if anyone wants to correct me, feel free!

thanks everyone. i've had a read of the other threads regarding this and got some good info.

I'll keep reading up and remember to ask my Ob when I see her next. Will also definately ask for the test to be redone to give me more of an idea. Might start on the acidophilus in the meantime - can't hurt.

I had an infection with GBS in my fifth month and was treated for it then, but it means I will need IV antibiotics in labour as well. As far as I can see I should be able to be just as mobile during labour, I think you only need a dose every four hours?

Like you, I've requested to be retested. If my results come back negative then my OB is happy to let me go without the drip but we haven't decided yet. There are some scary stories on the net about babies and GBS.

I had a caesar with my first due to breach presentation but was never tested for Strep B, even leading up to this caesar 4 days early.

I wonder if I should be asking for a test to be done? Is it important?? I have a new gyno this time. Any advise?

shereejoy I think it would be worth it to be on the safe side. Maz had a c/sect and Mateauz ended up very ill from it.

I have read in the past that some Drs do it routinely and others don't unless asked. I would be asking after reading about Maz

I would definitely ask for the test to be done, I will be having a c/s and still will be getting the test done at 36 weeks, after hearing what Maz has gone through with Mat.

GBS is a part of the normal flora of the vagina. If the baby is exposed to it during birth, and contracts a GBS infection, they can become quite sick.

That said, the presence of GBS fluctuates wildly - it can be there one week and gone the next. The six week swab is WAY too early to make any decisions.

Between now and then, consider visiting a naturopath or homeopath to help maintain the health of your vagina and digestive tract - this will promote the growth of "healthy" bacteria and limit the growth of others, such as GBS. You should also be re-tested at 36 weeks; if they don't do this routinely, you should ask.

Thanks girls, I will certainly be asking then!!! Ta

Hi ladies,

i just got my results confirming that ive got strep b again. This is now twice for me.

I think the condition is not explained properly enough, or done thoroughly enough in my opinion.

This is my third pregnancy. And with my first, i was never even offered the strep test, so who knows, i could have had it then as well. And my first born had no problems.

Anyway my experience with my second pregnancy, was when i was in labour, there was no time to get the antibiotics to work or run in my system long enough to protect the baby, yet despite this, my son was born with no problems.

And i personally did feel confined to a bed with the drips and stuff attached to me. Looks like ill be facing the same situation again, with drips on me, and being confined to a bed.

I guess my point is, ask lots of questions, and even if they cant get the stuff into you sooner, it doenst necessarily mean that bubs is going to catch it from you. Its a 50/50 thing, i think.

Mel

Normally if you don't get enough antibiotic into you before bubs is born, they will monitor bubs temp, pulse and resps before each feed for 24 hrs after birth. That is what they did with my first 2. 3rd one we got both dose of antibiotics in before birth.
    HTH

Hi ladies, i was told today that i have tested positive to strep B also, at the hospital i attend it is routine to have the test done now at 36 weeks, I however have being going in and out of early labour for the past 5 days, so i have been tested early. i have been told that i will be given antibiotics in labour. I am going through the birth unit so they will not hinder me from moving around during labour as best they can.