Thread: Tested Positive for Strep B-Please Help

Default Tested Positive for Strep B-Please Help

Hi everyone,I had my weekly check up today and was told that I had tested positive for strep b,I must have been in shock (and suffering baby brain) 'cos appart from him telling me I would need antibiotics when I go into labour and that it was a bacteria that can kill newborn babies in 24hrs (!) I forgot to ask much more about it.
    So,I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this and how their births and babies turned out?I have been goggleing to get more info but it's just making me more upset,I'm so worried that my baby will be seriously sick or even possibly die.
    I also wanted to know if there's a way of getting rid of the bacteria? One site suggest things like garlic,vitamin c,enchinacea,acidophilus and collodial silver,does anyone know anything about these remedies and how safe they are to take during pregnancy?
    I was thinking I would just insist on a c/section but most info sites say the baby is still at risk of infection,is this true?
    Any info would really help.

Awww hun - firstly it's scary isn't it - what you need to do is relax and realise that there is a tiny risk but that's why they will be giving you the anti-biotics to make sure you have a happy and healthy bubby. I tested positive too - 30% of women do so you are not alone. It is really common and really it is great that they can give us antibiotics to protect bubby. A c/s has far greater risk of complications for you and baby so you don't want to have one of them if you don't have to. It really is a horrid recovery hun.
    I ended up having a c/s anyway and Isabelle was fine. During labour they gave me a shot of ab in the bung in my arm every 4 hours and I really didn't think twice about it.
    One of my gf's just gave birth on Monday, she was + too and had ab's during her labour - which was a vaginal birth, and her daughter is just fine!
    Please try not to stress, have a chat to your carers at your next appointment if you are still worried, and focus on the fact that you will be holding your baby in a few weeks time! The risk is tiny and like I said, the great thing is, is that they have identified it and can treat it during your labour!

Please don't worry about it. Yes, it can be very harmful to bubs, but it is really nothing to worry about. many women aren't even routinely tested for Group B Strep as it is a bacteria which is common in the vaginal area at anytime - pg or not. During my last pg I tested postive for it at 9wks, negative at 30wks - your status can change several times during your pg - if you had of been tested next week you may have gotten a negative result. Antibiotics are given as a precaution in women who have tested positive, either via injection or IV line as soon as labour starts or waters break as you need to have them at least 4hrs before bubs is born. It really is no hassle to have them.

Defiantley don't do anything rash like opt for a c/s - you may find that you are negative by your due date and you will have had surgery for nothing. Also I wouldn't rush out and buy any of the 'remedies' that you have read about on the net, there really is no need to do anything about it.

Enchanted Guest

hun. The info Tan and Sherie have given you is fantastic!!

Here is another thread that was started about it if you want to have a read http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/show...ighlight=strep

I tested positive too and just got the injection when my membranes were ruptured and I think again before DD was born. It is a huge proportion of women that test positive - I think Tan said 30% but from memory I think it was more like 70% of my pregnancy group with DD. You don't even notice the antibiotics going in given everything else that was going on. I had a vaginal birth and my DD is completely healthy and like Tan and Sherie said, the risk is so incredibly slight. A c-section is major abdominal surgery, and definitely not something you want to choose if there's no real reason. Other than the risks associated with any surgery, your recovery time with a c-section is significant - I'm sure Tan would agree - compared to a vaginal birth.

Try not to worry about it (easier said than done I know). The internet can be a great resource tool but it can be scary as hell too when you look into these things. If you're still concerned, have a chat to your OB or midwife and I'm sure they can put your mind at ease.

As the other ladies have said the risk is very, very small and it can come and go - by the time labour starts you could be negative. And yes it's also very common. I have had babies in both private and public and I was never offered testing for this - many care providers don't bother with it because it is so inconclusive.

Re the caesar - the risks to both you and your baby are far greater from having a caesarean than the risks posed by Strep B...so please, if that's the only reason you're considering it strike it off your list

Hi Ness
    Try not to worry
    Strep B is easy to treat. All you need is one or two doses of antibiotics during labour. This is given by a drip. One dose is usually enough but they will give you a dose every 4-6 hours during labour.

Thanks everyone,once again you have all made me feel so much better and I will definatley be going to my appointment next week with lots of questions!!

Ness- I tested positive to it. I got my results at my m/w appointment yesterday. They didnt seem so concerned about it either. Another girl in my belly buddy group is + too. So if all that happens I get anti biotics, I will take that.

Ness27, I know things like this can be a bit scary but rest assured you have nothing to worry about. As others have said, you will be given antibiotics during labour. Don't forget to keep mentioning that you are Strep B positive, don't assume everyone will know.
    One other thing, if your water break at home (or out and about) make sure you ring the hospital and let them know and stress that you are Strep B positive. They should ask you to come straight in. The reason for this is they don't tend to like positive women hang about too long once their waters have broken. If labour doesn't follow naturally pretty soon, they usually prefer to induce just to lower the risk of infection. I had this with my daughter born in '03. My waters broke when I got back from shopping (thank goodness not in the supermarket). I rang the delivery ward, told them I was strep B pos. and they asked if contractions had started. They hadn't so they told me to come in. Still nothing an hour or so later and so they hooked me up to a drip and started induction , with antibiotics added. Grace was born 7 hours later happy and healthy.

Hope this has helped.

Good luck,
    Debbie

I had Strep B and got given AB's while I was in labour, my DS was born before the second lot of AB's could be administered so they just monitored my DS's temp for a day and he was absolutely fine. Please don't stress!