Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What did you buy?....

We still use Baby Love now - we used it yesterday when we thought Marnie had conjunctivitis - which thankfully she hasn't.
    I also read Up the Duff by Kathy Lette during my pregnancy. A girlfriend gave it to me - hilarious.

Bessi Guest

I agree with the bib comments velcro is the only way to go.
    I found that jumpers without press studs to expand the hole for the head never got worn (jacket/cardigan styles have been much easier for me)
    I love my baby bjorn - it has allowed me to go to the movies with my baby and have him close to me so he sleeps the whole time!)
    I only just bought a change table today! I thought it wasn't needed but after 4.5 months of wrecking my back I decided I was wrong! I am soooo in love with it.
    A good pram has made walking so much more appealing which is always a good thing after having a baby.
    Pants with thick elastic waists don't seem to be baby friendly the grow suits or any basic/comfy little suit are easy to put on, easy for changing nappies, wash well and most importantly seem to be comfy for the baby.
    Cloth nappies for "vomit rags" or any general cleaning up have been an absolute life saver for me too!
    I'm sure the list could go on but I'll leave it at that!

Have to disagree with the knitted clothes being too hard to wash. My mum has knitted loads of jumpers and cardigans and jackets etc for Tallon... all they need is a swish in soapy water, and I chuck em in the machine for a rinse and gentle spin. easy! And he's toasty warm in his woolens Much better than all these polyester jumpers and things you can get.

I bought him a jacket which zipped up at the front.. awful.. the zip is rough at the top, and I reckon its uncomfortable for him.

I agree about the clothes that button up at the back.. how dumb! LOL. When we're at home Tallon's usually just in a bonds wondersuit, and maybe a jumper as well.

Also... I love the singlet suits rather than normal singlets. Never comes untucked! Nothing worse than picking him up and all his tops coming out the top of his pants and exposing his poor little belly to the cold.

And get nice big wraps too. It's so quick that they grow too big to be wrapped up nice and securely in a normal size wrap.

my best buys have been a baby hammock, big soft wraps, a baby gear nappy bag (cheap but sturdy and practical) and a camera phone (never miss a kodak moment) the worst ones are oodles of modern cloth nappies that I never use because I don't have the time for washing and a cot doona set that had a doona and cot bumper that I've never used because of the SIDS risk.

My best buys for Matilda were the sling and high chair (we have one that is more like a booster seat & attaches to a dining room chair & is portable).

My worst buys were, too many clothes!! She wore 0000 for a week so I had heaps of unused newborn clothes to give away. Also although it was given to us, the bassinet was useless because we co-slept until she went into the cot.

Check out this thread HERE for more things members didn't need!

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

It seems people love giving newborns fluffy toys and mums flowers. How can you avoid this? (we have no room for the fluffy toys plus they are dustcatchers, flowers set off my allergies, both are such an extravagance when what we really need are cloth nappies). How do you go about this without feeling awkward and rude?

I think its ok to be up front about stuff like that. just in general start telling all the people likely to get something for you that you hope you don't get heaps of stuffed toys or Flowers.
    I was thinking of having a Nappy shower but then i thought I am likely to get a heap of nappies in brands I don't like. Dunno now..

We are having a BBQ this time around & have said that if anyone wants to contribute then we would appreciate them hanging some $ on our money tree. That would go towards the new pram & for us to get a housecleaner in weekly until we run out of the gift money.

I agree I bought alot of clothes that just dont work when bubs is in 000 or smaller like Jeans and thick jackets erghh. I have found alot of things invaluable like my steriliser an electric one that sat on my kitchen bench also a good pair of sneakers and a walking outfit it was comfy ...so spoil yourselves as well!

B

I like the money tree idea! A good way of saying money will be more useful the the crap your likely to buy LOL.

It's been a while since this thread was started but I found it really useful before Riley was born. I thought I'd add in my good/bad buys in here now that we've had some practice.

Couldn't live without
    * The basinette/pram for the first 4 months came in VERY handy!
    * Bunny rugs/wraps early on and sleeping bags now
    * A mobile above the change mat has been fantastic
    * The angelcare movement monitor is great for piece of mind - particularly after some scares
    * One piece jumpsuits - so easy and versitile

Not worth having
    * Two piece outfits/pants & tops for 0000 and 000 - they're too awkward and annoying when breastfeeding
    * Bottles/dummies - our little man won't take either
    * Convertible bath seat - we haven't used it yet
    * Hats/beanies for newborns - never used them

I would recommend not buying too many clothes before bubs is born too...we got heaps of 000 stuff that we never used because we were given so much and we only ever used jumpsuits in the end.

Of course, what we find useful others might not and vice versa... I found this thread soooo useful though early on since I had no clue what we'd need/not need.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi View Post
    It seems people love giving newborns fluffy toys and mums flowers. How can you avoid this? (we have no room for the fluffy toys plus they are dustcatchers, flowers set off my allergies, both are such an extravagance when what we really need are cloth nappies). How do you go about this without feeling awkward and rude?
    Cause i am having baby shower - will prob ask for no gifts at the hospital, otherwise people will be thinking that they have to buy twice for me. Ofcourse - people are more then welcome to

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    And get nice big wraps too. It's so quick that they grow too big to be wrapped up nice and securely in a normal size wrap.
    Where do you get nice big wraps from? Will i need to get some made up? They all seem to be about 80cmX100cm. Largest i have seen was at Myers and they where 100cmX100cm, which i imagine is good size, but abit pricey.

I actually got some huge ones from best and less in a 3 pack from a friend.Muslin ones and they just about wrap round ruby twice!

I had a look at best and less, got some blankets (not cot ones thou) which where very cute - i think i avoid muslin ones cause i having a winter baby, i think that they wont do the job? Is that right? I have been looking for cotton on flannyl.

Mum2Bee, You can get 120cm square wraps from babystores, Myer, DJ's etc. They are a bit more expensive but the muslin in them seems a lot softer than some of the cheaper ones we bought. I think spending more on these was definitely the way to go. I think it is LTC (Living Textile Company) muslin wraps that are my favourite in terms of size and softness.

wow, very handy thread!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast