Thread: What to do? Being compared to another pregnant person?

Default What to do? Being compared to another pregnant person?

I have decieded to leave work 2 weeks early (this will be with out pay) because i feel like i am constantly being compared to the last pregnate person here (she left 3 weeks ago and was 38 weeks) I have suffered sever morning sickness, reflux and early labour. they have not been supporting me at all even critising me. i feel diheartened (as i had pasted original probation with flying colurs and was looking as a fast promotion) but i have to do whats best for me and the baby right? has any body else had this happen to them and what have you done

Kellee Guest

Sorry, I don't have any particular advice for you, but I just wanted to send you lots of hugs! It sounds like you need them. I would imagine that if you feel that you are being unfairly discriminated against because of your pregnancy you would probably have some grounds to take the matter further. Although in the current Industrial Relations-induced climate in the workplace, who knows! Maybe it would be worth speaking to your union rep or some kind of anti-discrimination board. You might find, though, that when you get back to work all is 'forgiven', so to speak, and you're treated the same as you ever were. I certainly hope this is the case.

I think you're doing what is best for you. You are under no obligation to stay at work for any reason - even if you had wanted to leave earlier there is nothing they could do. Every pregnancy is different and your employer obviously doesn't understand this. I reckon you need to make sure you stand up for yourself - if they openly criticise you then explain to them (politely, but firmly) that you haven't been well and if you work yourself too hard you're at more risk of going into labour early which isn't good for your baby. Explain that your primary concern now has to be for the welfare of your child. I know it's much easier said than done but maybe speaking up and letting them know how you feel will make them respect your decision a little bit more. In the meantime, just get through it as best you can and know that your little bundle of joy will be safely in your arms very soon. That's gotta be something to look forward to! Good luck and feel free to vent anytime you want.

Chantal,

I gave my work notice when I was 9 wks preg, as I had just suffered a M/C but was still already showing.. I told them I'd work up til 36wks (we have a site agreement that you cannot work past that unless your OB says it's OK)..
    But I actually check stock coming of trucks from interstate, international & local & climb through, up & over pallets!!! I was massive & work hadnt advertised anyone for me to train @34wks, so I got my OB to write a letter saying I had to finish sooner, as I was in tears & stressed that I'd finish & noone would be here to do my work, so I ended up finishing 1 week earlier in the end after they rushed a guy in to be trained!

I ended up going 1 week over & so sat at home waiting, waiting for 6 wks.... It was so boring, but at the time I really needed it, next bubs I am gonna try to stay a bit longer & maybe do half days til about 36wks , but as I dont know what or how I will be feeling anything is possible...
    Dont feel down, it's your body & it's telling you to slow down for a reason, none of them know what it's like in your body etc, ignore them.......

Do what you need to do...

Fraser Guest

Hey there - I definitley have felt that my work hasn't been particularly supportive - they tut tut and raise their eyebrows if I take a day off and my State manager asks me everytime I see her 'so are taking the whole 12 months off then' each time I say YES - but she keeps pushing.
    I actually find it's the other women who are the hardest to deal with.
    You are so right though - you have to do what is best for you and your baby - hey we don't live to work we work to live!

Chin up - Em

I haven't been in your sitiuation with work. I just wanted to send you a big Every persons pregnancy is different and thse peole at your work have no right in camparing you to the other pg person there. You need to do whats best for you and bubs and by the sounds of it leaving work sooner rather than later would be better.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Thankyou all for your support - I have finished work early which is best for me as it looks like Im having more problems, at least I know i have the support of the wonderful people at this site
    thanks again

I just wanted to add that I finished work at 36.5 weeks, and then was 2 weeks late. It took me about 3-4 weeks to settle in to enjoying being at home, but I promise you after that baby arrives, you wont give a stuff about what those people at work say!!!
    It will be all about your little family, and try not to worry about it now. Enjoy your time off, lie in bed all day, read a few books, watch lots of DVDs and just be lazy!!! You deserve it!