Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when did you pack your bags?

Default when did you pack your bags?

When did you pack your hospital bags? i am just wondering becasue i have figured out what i would like in my bags but some of the stuff i would like to wear/ use before i give birth did anyone else have this problem? I know i am only just in the 3rd trimester but my mother seems to think i shouldn't bother packing my bags till a week before i am due but that doesn't seem right to me i don't want to go into labour early and be stuck running around the house trying to find things. Any help would be great or just your story of what you did.

Hey, I would pack everything that you won't need before going into hospital, and leave out everything you think youmight need. With my first child, I did this and when i went into labour, I just calmly packed what I didn't have. ANything I forgot DH brought up the next day. You could also do a list to keep with your hospital bag and when the time comes just run through it packing what you need.

I started packing my bags when i was 30 weeks...buying things i needed for it and leaving room for things i had to put in, in the last minute. At 34 weeks while the nurses got me ready for an emergency c -section i was glad to be able to tell my MIL where my bags was n just to grab it...(DH brought the rest the next day)
    No harm in being prepared..
    Best of luck

I started a week or so ago... for this bub, only coz a friend of mine went in at 36 weeks I want to be prepared... you just never know with these little gems!

I am the same as you, I have things that I need to use and wear before I go to hospital, ie. contacts/glasses, hair dryer, straightner, clothes... etc so I have packed my pj's and dh's shorts, pads, old undies that I don't wear and toiletries that I have... travel sized stuff and babies bag is ready to go. I have a list sitting with my bag, so that when I go into labour I can go through the list and know that I dont have to worry about forgetting in the rush/moment.

I did the same with DD's pg and I found that it was a good plan... anything you do forget... but your not likely to if you have a list...

Good luck, and your not too early, your just like most of us and want to be prepared... Oh I used to advise my customers that they should have everything in the nursery ready by 36 weeks as they are packing their bags!!!

I started packing mine about 3 weeks ago, i have some things to pack at the last minute but the main things are all ready to go for me and bubs.

I agree with Kirsten74, I packed mine at 34 weeks (travel shampoo, soap etc) and then just added the dressing gown, hairdryer etc after my waters broke at 37 weeks. I wouldn't leave it to 39 weeks, I had both my kids well before then (DS was 38wks)! Especially the stuff for when you are in labour in the hospital such as the heat bags, even if you need to use them at home you will know where they are.

I made up a list of what I needed to pack and had all intentions of packing when I was around 36 weeks of things I wasn't using on a day to day basis and then the others when I was in labour. I never got around to packing and I packed at 11pm the night before I had DD when I was in very early labour. Worked out okay for me. It really come down to doing what you what to do and what makes you feel comfortable. If you are worried about what people will say don't tell them. LOL!

With DS I was induced at 37 weeks and 4 days so I hadn't packed yet! I packed when I got home from obs before I went to the hospital! TBH I just have got DH to bring anything in I need later so having a bag packed has never been much of an issue.

I'll second everythign everyone else has suggested! And don't kid yourself into believing a backpack will do it either... or maybe that's just me I actually packed it all in one place yesterday (a suitcase i thought would be excessive) but it's half full, and that doesn't include the last things i need to grab - like a few pairs of trackies and undies! And remember - you may be likely to recieve gifts in hospy, especially soft toys and stuff that's awkward to pack elsewhere but great filler for your suitcase!

Good luck

yer i think start packing stuff ur not going to use at about 35-36 weeks... i have most packed, but i have a list of top of the suitcase of stuff the i need to pack kinda at the last min, stuff im still using now

I had a collection of stuff in a corner very ealry like 30ish weeks but my DH packed my bag while I was in hospital I never went home from my Ob appt.

I just finished packing my stuff. I seem to be in that phase of Im never going to go into labour so why bother lol. I have gone 10 days over with both of the others so Im not really expecting to go early... DARNIT!

with my 1st, I packed my bags at about 30 weeks, but labour never happened anyhow I went 7 days overdue. I will do the same this time at around 30 weeks, ya never know if or when its going to happen best to be prepared, Id hate to try n pack my bags for hospital while I was in labour, or even worse rely on my hubby to pack everything I needed - Lord knows what Id find in my bags when I got to hospital haha.

Danielle

First baby - didn't pack a thing...I still had heaps of time right?! Wrong! Went into labour at 36 weeks and ran around the house like a lunatic in the middle of the night throwing whatever I could lay my hands on into a bag. Forgot everything I really needed, and my DH and mother spent the next 3 days bringing it up to me

Second baby - learned my lesson. Bags were all packed at 34 weeks. Baby didn't come until 38 weeks but hey - I was ready

The stuff that you want to keep using - make a list and leave it on top of your bag (you'll need one for things like mobile phone charger, toiletries etc anyway) and just throw those things in when you leave.

I packed mine when i went into 'spring clean mode' which was about 34 weeks, it is the strangest thing when you have the urge to nest! My little girl came two weeks early, so it was only a few weeks that my bag sat there and it gave me the opportunity make sure i was really prepared. I also think doing these things when you feel up to it is important, because this is an exciting time - do what you want when you want to!

Congrats on your impending arrival and goodluck!

I had an open suitcase in the nursery from about 36weeks, but it really didn't have anything in it until I was about 38wks pregnant. My waters broke when I was 39w2d pregnant, so just in time
    In retrospect, I did a great job of packing things for the birth, but not such a great job of packing things for the hospital stay afterwards. I only packed 1 skirt ... I had nothing else to wear, and no pyjamas, so I had to ask DH to find my trakkie pants (which he couldn't find).

At 38 weeks and 2 days I still havent packed!!!
    Better go do that hey!! he he he

I packed mine at 35 weeks, the week after I finished up at work.

I had bought a 6-pack of undies from target, washed them and put them in, along with my pads etc. Had the baby's bag packed & unpacked about 10 times! I'd also take in some enviro shopping bags, to take gifts home from hossy in - get your DH to take them home gradually!

I was that paranoid, I used to have my bag packed and next to my phone charger, with the phone on charge tied around it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast