Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: when did you wash babies things?

I used Amolin laundry was for sensitive skin...its in a blue bottle with a baby on it, in the laundry section. its brilliant, and I had no problems with Aston skin... used it until recently - on everyone's clothes cause I loved the smell of it. not sure if you can use it in a front loader or not - check the bottle? hth

I have washed the bassinet sheets and bunny rugs, but have not washed all bubs clothes yet, have only washed a couple of hand me downs (that were brand new anyway). I haven't really bought many baby clothes at all yet as I am waiting till after my baby shower, which is at 35 weeks. So will do the washing when I get all the cute little clothes at the shower. It's very hard to shop for bubs clothes when you don't know thw gender, I have only bought a couple of white Bonds suits, LOL.

Do you girls hang bubs clothes on the line after washing or put through the dryer??

~Belinda~ Guest

I did it about 35 weeks I think! I wanted it all set up and everything clean etc...washed it all in wool mix however, now we just wash Madeleine's clothes with ours.

Thanks for the advice! Still not sure what to do about the Lux, but maybe I'll do half strength for one load and see what happens. Or I'll contact the company and ask! I can always return it..

I'll hang it on the line - just to be environmentally friendly. Although it's been recommended to me to tumble dry the cloth nappies (at least for the first wash).

Marlene - I don't know bubs gender either! We've got lots of white, yellow and green things! I'm quite looking forward to doing the 'gender based' clothes shop after the birth!!

Hey Ladies,

I did not really put much thought into the washing clothes thing... especially the type of detergent. Thanks for your info.... I think I might get a baby friendly wash powder to wash bubs stuff in so there is little chance of alergic reactions to wash detergent.

I was not even going to wash bubs things, but hearing all your thoughts I think it would be a good idea.

Thanks Mecil

Ive just finished washing most of my baby clothes and sheets etc, I have just got the woollens to go. I have washed everything in OMO sensitive as my DS has eczema and this is the only powder i can use on his clothes. I figure with DD having dermititis and DS having eczema there is a chance this bub will have sensitive skin as well. I learnt my lesson with DS when i dont wash new clothes his skin breaks out , so i wanted to be extra prepared.

Have fun washing and looking at the tiny clothes on the line, take a few pics for keepsakes.

Nettie - be very careful using even a reduced amount of Lux in a front loader. They get more sudsy than top loaders and can overflow easily. I use Amolin in my front loader and its great for bubbies' clothes and especially for MCNs (half strength).

I washed all of DD#1's clothes about 34 weeks and ironed EVERYTHING. This time around I've washed the 0000s and 000s (about 33 weeks) and will this week wash cot and cradle linen. Not going so crazy this time and ironing though - what was I thinking with DD#1 ????

I try to line dry, especially cloth nappies. The sun gets rid of stains beautifully and everything smells so much nicer.

Thanks Lulu. I reckon I'll get my MIL to wash the nappies & linens in the Lux I've bought (she's got a front loader) and the babies clothes I'll check out that Amolin you mention. Is that a powder or liquid? Is it a pure soap too or just another type of washing product?

Hoping to go & pick out a cot next week (yay!) so I'll know then which of the hand-me-down sheets I've got will fit - so I can wash them! I haven't bought any yet because I've heard there can be different sizes so it can be tricky to fit!

With DS i washed in LUX flakes for the first couple of months. I only washed clothes that were given to me from my sister second hand.. new things i didnt bother incase i didnt use them, i was then able to take them back and get a refund or exchange. Same with this baby. Had some left over LUX flakes from when DS was a newborn. DS's clothes was a couple of months i think before he was born.. this baby, did them on Friday.

Amolin's a liquid that you get in a blue bottle. Its just normal washing stuff, but especially designed for babies/sensitive skin.

I had to go through the space saver bags that DD's clothes were in so we could start to clear out the spare room, so I think I washed what clothes/sheets/nappies etc, we can use at around 20 weeks? I have them all sitting in some plastic tubs and will re wash them when time gets a little closer.

With DD, I think I did all the nappies early, but not many of the clothes. I only packed my bag at around 37-38 weeks when I was told that I would have to leave home to go to the hospital a couple of hours away that day. Will aim to be somewhat more organised this time maybe??

Nic

Well, I bought the Amolin this arvo, so I'll go through the clothes tonight ready to wash tomorrow (that'll be my job for the day!).

Looking forward to it and I'm going to make sure I take some cute pics of all the little clothes on the line!

Did the washing and there's a pic in my gallery of the cute little things hanging on the line in the sunshine!

Feel lots more organised now!!

my laundry cupboards are stocked with bottles of Purity wash & softner!
    All bubs stuff is clean and ready to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12